Responsys

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.8

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Responsys.

Clearly communicated what they were looking for, seemed like they were looking for a culture fit as well as someone with the right skill set. Met with multiple team mates and had multiple calls as well. Overall the process was pretty much as expected, no google type brain teaser questions but they did as for examples on specific skill sets and scenarios.

Interview Questions
    Be clear about your expectations from the very first interview with the recruiter!

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed for Staff software position. Mostly talk about distributed system architecture and scalability related issues. There were some coding question which was fairly easy. Also some relational database design questions including data model of many to many relations.

Campaign Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Responsys.

First step was a 10 minute phone screening. Questions asked were pretty general about my educational/relevant experience background and future goals. After passing the screen, I was invited to the office for the interview portion. This was two hours long, broken into two 1-hour sessions. Each hour I was interviewed by four current employees ranging from Program Mangers to Senior Campaign Specialists to Campaign Services Managers. Questions varied from technical questions to personal questions. There was also a test taken on the spot of HTML skills. After passing this step I was contacted and given two more tests to take on my own time, where a "QA" test was given to explore my attention to detail. There was also a 10 question SQL quiz.

Product Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Responsys.

Phone interviews with a recruiter, the person that would by my manager, and a few people from the product team - it was clear they were speaking with me to see if I really understood the products within the industry. After that, was asked to go in for in-person interview, which consisted of about a 4 hour block of time and meeting with about 6 people. One person wasn't able to make it, so I was asked to come back another day to meet with them.

Interview Questions
    • Most people wanted to know what I knew and thought about Responsys' products and other products in the industry.   View Answer

Senior Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Responsys.

The communication was very bad.Recruiters dont answer your calls nor do they followup with you about the progress on an interview.Very irresponsible.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Responsys.

They are pretty good about the whole interviewing process. I had 2 phone interviews after a recruiter contacted me:
    1) Team Lead.
    2) Director.

Then got called into onsite interview. It was a good 5 hour interview with various aspects ranging from: SQL basics to Hadoop/BIG data to Shell scripting.

I would say the interview was a very detailed one ranging from basic questions to technically detailed questions.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected. If you are preparing for this interview as many people have said before me, brush up your basics from careercup for positions for programmers and data modelling and industry standard SQL/PLSQL terminologies.   Answer Question

Copywriter, Full-time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Responsys in November 2013.

Three month process!
    I applied in late November 2013 to a LinkedIn (LI) posting (around 89 applicants for this posting) and received a response (exactly one month later) via email from a Creative Consultant (CC) in NY wanting a 15 minute phone interview. I emailed back that day accepting a phone interview - the CC emailed Friday wanting a Monday phone interview. Two hours before the call was to take place the CC emailed me to cancel and that we would have to reschedule. I emailed back saying I understood and to let me know a better day and time to chat.
    I did not hear back and so, enthusiastic about the company and the job, I emailed the CC exactly one week later (the next Monday) to just "touch base" to see if we could reschedule a phone interview. I received an email back a week and two days later (on a Wednesday). The CC wanted to schedule the phone interview for Friday and I agreed. By this time it was early January 2014.
    The phone interview went very well. My experience, requested salary, and job expectations meet all of their requests. As I do with all phone screenings, I emailed that Monday to thank the CC and heard back within minutes that the Creative Director (CD) in Seattle wanted to meet with me that week. We scheduled an hour and a half in-person interview for that Wednesday. I was there nearly two and half hours. I met with five employees (the CD, two Art Directors, and two Copywriters). With the exception of the CD (who complained that his/her entire year employment had been spent hiring staff and not actually being a CD at all), they were all friendly and seemed happy to be there.
    The interview went very well. The CD informed me that my personality meshed well with each of them and my Copywriting background was in alignment with their job requirements. As I left the interview the CD told me that this was an immediate need, and that I looked promising, but that he/she was going to be out of town for the next week and half. Which honestly should have red flagged me.
    When I got home I sent a group email to all thank them for their time. I heard nothing back. I waited two weeks, emailed the CC (in NY) and the CD (in Seattle) and heard nothing. I waited another week (now in the last week of January 2014) and emailed the CC to find out if I was still being considered for the job or if the job was even still open. The CC emailed me back immediately saying that he/she was still waiting to hear word from the CD in Seattle and that they would know something by the week's end. I never heard back and eventually stopped emailing - I just had to assume that I didn't make the short list.
    A month later I saw the exact same Copywriter job description reposted to LI (this time there were 108 applicants).

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions at all. In fact, I had both Copywriters that interviewed me to be surprise at all the questions I had for them i.e., company culture, work load, software capabilities, team structure etc. They seemed a "thrown" to say the least.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Responsys in September 2013.

I received an email from an HR Manager within days of submitting a resume to a position. Due to a holiday weekend it was not until the next week, on a Wednesday, we were able to have a 15 minute conversation. It was a short and laid back conversation. She just wanted some more details on my current position and why I was looking elsewhere. I heard back from her the next evening and she was asking if I could do a 30 minute phone interview the next day (Friday). It was last minute but they were able to work around my schedule. That conversation was an easy going one and I always felt they were truly interested in learning about me, my experience, and what I want in a company.

On Sunday I got a call, kind of late at night (8:30 pm) asking if there was any way I could go to the Seattle office for an interview on Monday. I was able to get off work at a decent time and went in to the office. I met with 3 other people there, I think they were all Directors of Customer Success or Senior Program Managers. Even though I felt really unprepared since it had occurred so fast I felt comfortable and welcome. They were really easy to talk to and explained the job well and the company culture. They focused a lot on what I want in a company and why I was leaving my current place. They were very nice people and full of energy. The interview was about 40 minutes and then I got a tour of the entire office. I felt very welcome the entire time.

I was contacted the next day and asked to have another phone interview on Wednesday. Again, it was a laid back conversation and felt at ease and able to ask any questions I had.

I got an offer Thursday, and accepted Sunday night.

I actually had a lot of questions, and I talked to a Director or VP (someone pretty high up) and they answered lots of questions and made me feel "wanted". That piece really made me feel like this was a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • If a client campaign launched with errors, such as an empty email, what would you do?   Answer Question

Senior Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Responsys in July 2013.

Got callback from internal recruiter quickly (positive). Interview with hiring manager (WLee) was horrible. 1st question is how I was referred. Technical questions so granular was useless to determine solid DBA skills. Question was for OCP-level exam. Sees to be a micro-manager personality type (blessing in disguise not getting position).

Interview Questions
    • Name of file in /etc that determines..you get the point.   View Answer

Associate Campaign Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Responsys in June 2013.

I scheduled an interview for a Campaign Specialist after speaking with a recruiter and a brief phone interview with the hiring manager. It took 3 days for the hiring manager to respond with the details of the interview, the mandatory job application form, and the Vol Self-I-I form. The first thing I noticed was that the interview and job application was for an Associate Campaign Specialist Position. I was contacted by their recruiter and hiring manager for the Campaign Specialist position, so I figured that this was a typo. A week later (one day before my interview), I received a phone call and an email asking to reschedule the interview for an hour later. I obliged, and met them the following day.

I arrived a few minutes early. The location was easy to find, however I recommend getting there a little early to find parking and get "buzzed in." Once I arrived, the receptionist was very accommodating and graciously asked if I would like some water. I waited 5-10 minutes until the hiring manager was ready. The interview was 2 hours with 5 different people (one of them was working from home, so I spoke with her over the phone). All employees seemed well-prepared with several interview questions. They tested my knowledge of HTML by asking me to write an HTML table on their whiteboard. At the end, the hiring manager informed me that he would be in touch with a SQL test if we moved forward. He told me to contact him if I didn't hear back, as he was very busy but would like to follow-up with me (regardless of the outcome). I sent him a "thank you" email that day, and did not hear back... but I attributed this to the shortened holiday work week. I sent him one additional email to follow up, however I also did not hear back.

Interview Questions
    • All interviewers (except the hiring manager and recruiter) expressed that this position heavily involved SQL. At one point, I was handed a small SQL test with a pen and paper. He informed me that it "didn't matter" if I got the answers wrong, because they could train me in SQL. Based on the emphasis of SQL by his other team members, I would say that it was actually a very important skill for this position.   View Answer
    • The hiring manager used car mechanics in a couple of his questions. I know nothing about cars, and was unable to use or understand these metaphors.   Answer Question