Responsys

2.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Responsys in April 2012.

I heard about Responsys through a friend whom just had a buddy move from their San Francisco office to New York City and spoke very highly about the company, culture, growth, and income opportunity. As an 8 year sales professional with a finance background I was looking to get into a booming tech market. The more research I conducted on Responsys, including here at GlassDoor, the more intrigued I was about the company, including but not limited to the public reports on how outstanding upper management was, the company vision to dominate the SAAS space with a superior product offering, and Responsys' track record for ONLY hiring top tiered talent with a strong, energetic and sharp work ethic that would match the core of their people, from top to bottom. Needless to say I eagerly accepted an opportunity to interview right away.

I interviewed with 2 top managers here in NYC, the Director of Worldwide Sales Development, and a fourth interview with what would be a direct peer of mine should an offer be extended and accepted. I was deeply impressed with each individual's intellect, hunger for wanting to be nothing but the absolute best, and openness about the company's past, present, and future. Responsys has come a very long way since transforming the marketing world in 2004 (see "New School Marketing") including going public last year with a successful IPO. Everyone I interviewed with had extensive work experience before Responsys and shared with me that this truly was the best job they've ever had; you could see and hear that honesty in their responses. Perhaps most impressive was the team's desire to want to hear your questions and/or any pending concerns before proceeding. The interview process is carefully designed to be an open give-and-take with one clear goal in mind: are you the type of person Responsys can help make successful? Because of the way Responsys invests heavily in their employees, you have to be EXTRA prepared for these interviews. This company is not for the faint of heart and the bar is set very high. Come with your suit pressed, you shoes shined, and a deep understanding of the company's history and position within the market space. If you're someone who likes to meet a challenge, from Day 1 on, you'll be incredibly happy here.

I accepted the offer earlier this month and have been thrilled with my first few weeks here. I've already meet the CEO twice and he knew me by name on my very first day. So far my expectations have been exceeded as I feel apart of a wonderful family, but I worked very to get here. If you're thinking of stepping to the plate in a big time game, you won't be let down at Responsys. Just come prepared to mash with serious professionals looking to do big things.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me what you know about Responsys?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Responsys

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Responsys in October 2011.

Had a good interview experience even though I didn't get an offer. They like to have a you meet a lot of people, but the interviews themselves are very straight forward. Usually only 30 mins. I was told they have a "blackball" system so everyone has to sign off on you. Also, apparently they interviewed 250 people last year and hired 10, so they are definitely looking for specific personalities. If I had a guess it would be ex college athletes. Being that everyone there was one. Everyone is very gung ho and drinking the cool aid as well. Very young company and everyone I talked to had been there less than a year.

Personally, I made it through all rounds of interviews but was still not given an offer with no explanation. Probably not a good personality fit.

Sales Development Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Responsys in January 2012.

I was approached by a member of the Responsys team and asked whether i would be interested in looking at new opportunities whilst working for a competitor organisation. I was very aware of the Responsys proposition therefore was interested in potentially working for the leader in the market place.

I arranged an informal phone conversation with the representative who approached me, this was very easy going and an opportunity for both of us to get to know each other as well for me ask some initial questions about the organisation and the role itself. Having conducted this, i then met with the representative in a social environment in order to get to know each other even further. Meeting in a social environment made the process very relaxed and meant that i was at ease throughout. I was asked some further questions about my role day to day, what it entailed, what my main drivers were and why i wanted to work for an organisation such as Responsys. It also gave me a chance to find out why Responsys is in the position that it's in and what differentiates it from other organisations in the market place. I was then advised that we would need to conduct a similar interview however in a more formal setting, i was invited to the offices in Reading for this proccess.

In this instance i met with the HR manager and the same representative. I would say this was far more formal than any of the other steps however due to the fact that i had gone through those steps with ease and comfort, this made the formal interview relatively easy going as i had built that relationship already.
    I was again asked some questions about my role, what i would be doing at Responsys should the job be offered to me, some questions about my career aspirations and where the industry would be heading.

Once the formal interview was done, i was invited for lunch with members of the team who i would be working with. I felt this was a really good opportunity for me to feel the vibe of potential future colleagues as well as see if im going to be a good fit for the organisation. It enabled me to gain a better understanding of how the different members of the Sales function work together and how my role impacts the overall business.

All in all i would say this was a fairly relaxed proccess which made me feel at ease throughout, i feel this is the best way to approach an interview process in order to get the most out of a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   Answer Question
    • What is your biggest driver in life, what motivates you to do your job?   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Responsys in November 2011.

I was first contacted by Responsys when I worked at a competitor - so I was very well read about Responsys and its core capabilties.

From the start of the interview process, it did not feel too formal or interview-like. My initial experience, which was a phone conversation, genuinely felt like a conversation and not an interrogation. I appreciated this approach because it made me feel at ease. I think enabling this in a candidate will make them more open.

In this conversation I had the chance to speak with the individual who owned the interview process and who openly shared that he would be my direct report if I were successful.
    It was made very clear that this was also a chance for me to discover more about Responsys and ask as many questions as I wanted - which were openly answered and detailed. The questions that were asked of me concerned my present role and function - focusing on what I did on a day-to-day rather than my performance record. My performance was never put into question. In addition this I was also asked about what I knew about Responsys and what I wanted to acheive. I felt that this was a point of interest for my interviewer.

In the same phone conversation I was given immediate confirmation of a face-to-face meeting.

During the face-to-face meeting I sensed that this would be more interview-like (and more formal) and it was made clear to me what the process of the interview would be, and what kind of questions I would be asked. This was good because there were no surprises laid ahead in this way.
    We began with a description of the company being deliverd to me, as well as the role and which process were in place to help a successful candidate in this role - I had opportunities to ask questions.

I was asked where I thought the digital market was going and what was the next big thing to break out from this space. I also asked my interviewer their opinion.

There was also emphasis on what my aspirations were, and my motivations. I got the sense that if you want to be "satisfactory" and sit in the same job for the rest of your career - Responsys is not the place for you.

Once again I made a point to bombard my interviewer with as many questions as possible - which I think was a good thing.

Finally, because this was a sales role, I felt it was very important that I revealed sales skills in the process. So, well crafted questions and an obvious desire to "close" my interviewer was made. A good question was: "Is there anything else I can do to show you that I am the best choice for the job?; and Do I get the job?; What is the next step in this process, because I want to be prepared..., Who else are you seeing and how many?"

The third and final phase of the process was to have a conference with the Head of Pipeline in the US on the same day. This was a 30 minute call. The questions were similar to my face-to-face interview and I felt that an effort was made to find out what made me tick. If there was a personality filter - this was it.

On the other hand I felt that my final call was just as much an opportunity for Responsys to sell me the role than it was to sell myself. At this point questions were asked to discover what it would take to make me leave my current role and when, in addition to finding out what would make me stay in my current role.

Finally, after my final call with the US, my initial contact, with whom I spoke to first, offered me the role. I accepted a few days later.

I also had the chance to meet my team prior to accepting the role.

From the start to finish - I felt that the Responsys interview process was relaxed and measured; and always very clear. Even to the lead up to my resignation of my previous job , I felt confident I was doing the right thing and felt full support of my new company - And I do so to this day.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you stand with regards to monetary vs career path balance. Whats more important?   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was swift and I feel that a fair compromise was met.