Restoration Hardware

Updated Nov 7, 2014
Updated Nov 7, 2014

3.1

Web Publisher Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Restoration Hardware.

Hiring process only took a few weeks. Did an initial phone interview, then went for an in-person interview with the ecommerce team. Received an offer within 2 weeks of second interview. It was overall a very positive experience. In the interviews they were very encouraging and welcoming. Interview process can vary though, you may have to do a group interview or meet with multiple members of the ecommerce team.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate, but heard many people are able to negotiate more vacation days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Restoration Hardware.

A most difficult to interview; one of the most uncomfortable I've had. They seemed to very much believe they we doing me a tremendous favor. There is a genial atmosphere among the staff, but a real attitude once you're dealing with management.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you can live up to the life philosophies of the Founder?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Restoration Hardware in October 2014.

Very standard interview process. Gallery leader asks you about your background, what you're currently doing and what you are looking to do. Depending on your answer, you may be asked to elaborate more when asked questions regarding your personality or work ethic. You may also be asked to exemplify a time in your work history that you went above and beyond the call of duty.

Conflict of interest.

Sales Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

You get 3-4 Interviews. One with each of the sales Leads "Managers". The Managers try to emphasis the company mantra of loving their sales staff. The Managers shy away from discussing compensation. They tell you that the bulk of the staff is hourly and they make the judgment of how much or if the position pays based off experience. All the Managers seem very nice and personable.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions are very standard:

Tell me of a time you:
      Had to make a hard decision
      Had to discipline someone
      Voiced an opinion.

Personal Questions:
      What do you do outside of work.
      Why do you want to work for us.
      How do you feel about our company.
      What is your background experience and how does it pertain to us.
      What do you want out of life.

Business Questions:
      What is your management style
      How do you motivate people.
      How do you discipline or coach people.
      What would be your perfect manager to work for.
      How do you want to be managed.
        Answer Question

After trying to get info about the hours one of the managers let it slip that you "might" get 1 weekend (possibly just one weekend day)off a month. Although RH is really nice I can't really see myself working for an hourly wage and not having a set schedule with at least 1 weekend day off to be with my family. There are many companies that are just like RH that have managed to allow the staff to have a life outside of work by giving them 1 weekend day off a week and compensation for sales rather than straight hourly.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Restoration Hardware in September 2014.

I received an email at first and did not see the email until after the times that they had listed for testing. I sent them a quick email back and heard back from them early the next day (a Friday). I set up a my testing time, took and passed the test (they were very fast about starting it), was told that I could wait another ten-fifteen minutes for interview. For the interview I was taken out of the testing facility into the actual call center building to a small meeting room. I wasn't prepared for the interview but I tried to be as honest and candid as possible. I was told that I would hear back from them after some more interviews on Friday. Had almost given up late the following Friday when they called me (after 5pm).

Interview Questions
    • Being asked if $12/hr was acceptable for me. Most of the other questions were pretty much run of the mill. I had actually attended an interview for the Sprint store in Tracy the prior week and they had asked the exact same questions.   View Answer
    They leave some stuff open for negotiation I guess. I'm not making anything over $10/hr presently and for very minimal hours so asking for more would make me feel greedy.

Design Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

RH has a very lengthy interview process. They want to be sure they have the right person who is a good fit for their values. For a regular sales associate three interviews is very normal.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are pretty typical. It's more about attitude and personality.   Answer Question

Design Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lyndhurst, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lyndhurst, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Restoration Hardware in August 2014.

Entirely too difficult for a retail position. As someone who works a very demanding manager position elsewhere, three interviews and a detailed background check seemed like too much. I just stopped following up after the second interview when it appeared we were no where near done. Probably would be fine for a recent college grad with nothing else to do, but for a seasoned professional it was really disrespectful of my time. Too bad. It seemed like a fun job and I would have loved the discount.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

I originally applied online but I never got a response. So I Filed out an application in store, got a call back a few weeks later for an interview. I had two interviews in the same day and was offered a position a few days later . Fairly typical questions. Be clear and precise in your answers.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you faced difficulties in a group project.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Gallery Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

Very drawn out with little sense of urgency. Multiple interviews for a leadership position, which is expected. However, 2-4 weeks between contact shows a disrespect for the applicant's time, and a disinterest in the importance of the position. Odd to have during the hiring process, considering during the interviews, it is consistently mentioned how much they value their people.

Interview Questions
    • "How well do you feel you align with our core values?"   Answer Question

Design Sales Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Restoration Hardware in May 2014.

I was e-mailed out of the blue and asked if I was interested in interviewing for a Design/Sales job. The first interview consisted of speaking with the Lead Designer and also the Store Manager and lasted over 2 hrs. The 2nd interview was 4 or 5 days later with the Assistant to the Store Manager. This 2nd interview lasted about 1.5 hrs and she indicated that if I continued the interviewing process I would participate in at least one more phone interview, maybe more, and it would continue to be a long interviewing process; possibly another couple of weeks. It seemed a rather grueling/draining experience as I was recruited out of the blue and did not exactly know what the specifics of the position were, nor the exact skill set they were seeking. I always felt on the defensive and like I could not gear-up ahead of time with prepared questions, list of strengths, etc.

Interview Questions
    • During my 2nd interview I was asked to describe the store and its employees, in general terms. After I gave detailed answers for both the look & vibe of the store and also the customer service abilities of the employees, my descriptions were then used negatively against me to point out how I did not align with the upscale RH environment, employees' attire, etc. It was a totally unprofessional and humiliating experience! I felt set-up and disparaged.   View Answer