Restoration Hardware

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

3.1

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

Dropped off my resume in person and received a phone call from the store manager the next day setting up an interview. The day of the interview I waited over an hour in the store to have my interview and when the woman I was interviewing with finally came out to greet me, we barely spoke and she gave me "homework" to do for my next interview the following day with another person. Had to do an entire floor plan and design board using their products (which took an entire night to complete). Was set up with yet another interview the following day after that with corporate and she was very cold and insulting. My job duties and pay changed based on who I was interviewing with and I felt like I was interviewing to become a part of their sorority/frat. Seemed to base their decision on personality more than skills required for the job and they made it seem like if I worked for the company, it would be my biggest accomplishment in life and nothing could compare to it. After the third interview, it took 2 weeks for them to call back and offer the job to me (at even less pay than I was told).

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions followed by personal questions that were borderline illegal to ask   Answer Question

The final pay rate they offered was a joke and I just didn't want to be a part of their little clique after going through the interview process and seeing how they handled situations and other people

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Restoration Hardware.

Applied online, received a call from store manager, went in to meet and had good interview, went into another interview with asst. manager, and then was asked to come back and meet regional manager. There are a lot of phone tags because you can tell the store was busy and they were short handed. I ended up having to follow up with them instead of them following up with me. But because of that, I got the job.

2 months

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

Easy Interview process. I had one round of interview with two management staff. They asked me the basic questions and it was brief. I heard back after a few days and was able to start right away.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

Was called to schedule a first interview with one of the store leaders. Called back in about two weeks later to schedule the second. There was a fairly long delay between interviews and before their offer.

Interview Questions
    • Asked questions about how friends perceive me. Found some of the questions fairly invasive.   Answer Question

Interior Designer Interview

The process took an extremely long time (10 weeks) to go through only 2 in-person interviews and 3 phone interviews. None of the management would give any indication of time line for hire dates and presented the topic with arrogance, suggesting that a position with Restoration Hardware would be the pinnacle of your career. The communication language was ridiculous. Their self acclaimed "core values' was a joke.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all pretty standard interview questions. Some easy to answer because you know what they want to hear.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Prairie, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Prairie, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Restoration Hardware in December 2014.

The interview process is way too long for 11.00/hr. You'd think I was interviewing for the president of the company. They were about 30 minutes late starting my interview. The testing process took quite a while, but was fairly easy. I was interviewed by three different people. They were snotty and acted as though they were doing me a huge favor by just interviewing me. Their products are far too over priced and ugly if you ask me. They kept referring to their customers as "privileged" people. It was a huge turn off.

Web Publisher Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Restoration Hardware.

Hiring process only took a few weeks. Did an initial phone interview, then went for an in-person interview with the ecommerce team. Received an offer within 2 weeks of second interview. It was overall a very positive experience. In the interviews they were very encouraging and welcoming. Interview process can vary though, you may have to do a group interview or meet with multiple members of the ecommerce team.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate, but heard many people are able to negotiate more vacation days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Restoration Hardware.

A most difficult to interview; one of the most uncomfortable I've had. They seemed to very much believe they we doing me a tremendous favor. There is a genial atmosphere among the staff, but a real attitude once you're dealing with management.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you can live up to the life philosophies of the Founder?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Restoration Hardware in October 2014.

Very standard interview process. Gallery leader asks you about your background, what you're currently doing and what you are looking to do. Depending on your answer, you may be asked to elaborate more when asked questions regarding your personality or work ethic. You may also be asked to exemplify a time in your work history that you went above and beyond the call of duty.

Conflict of interest.

Sales Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Restoration Hardware.

You get 3-4 Interviews. One with each of the sales Leads "Managers". The Managers try to emphasis the company mantra of loving their sales staff. The Managers shy away from discussing compensation. They tell you that the bulk of the staff is hourly and they make the judgment of how much or if the position pays based off experience. All the Managers seem very nice and personable.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions are very standard:

Tell me of a time you:
      Had to make a hard decision
      Had to discipline someone
      Voiced an opinion.

Personal Questions:
      What do you do outside of work.
      Why do you want to work for us.
      How do you feel about our company.
      What is your background experience and how does it pertain to us.
      What do you want out of life.

Business Questions:
      What is your management style
      How do you motivate people.
      How do you discipline or coach people.
      What would be your perfect manager to work for.
      How do you want to be managed.

Answer Question

After trying to get info about the hours one of the managers let it slip that you "might" get 1 weekend (possibly just one weekend day)off a month. Although RH is really nice I can't really see myself working for an hourly wage and not having a set schedule with at least 1 weekend day off to be with my family. There are many companies that are just like RH that have managed to allow the staff to have a life outside of work by giving them 1 weekend day off a week and compensation for sales rather than straight hourly.