RetailMeNot

Very Difficult Interview

Visual Designer Interview

Visual Designer
Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at RetailMeNot in July 2013.

Interview Details – Received a call from a hiring manager that was asked about my experience and made me questions about their website.
Interviewer was aggressive; I would even say rude.
I have done many interviews (face to face and over the phone) and this was the shortest and most harsh. In the end I felt like she called me just because she had to (maybe she needed to reach a number).
Before almost hanging up on me, she said that they were not looking for somone with <my experience>, although by email she had said "what a great resume".
Huh. Why calling me, then?

Interview Question – What do you think of our current website?   View Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at RetailMeNot in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a merchandising position, but was a better fit for the a different position. I was contacted by a recruiter, then had a two 1:1 phone interviews that lasted between 30 minutes to an hour with the director of my dept. and my hiring manager that were more a a "get to know you" chat than an actual interview. I was flown out for a round of interviews with 5 people that lasted about 30 minutes a piece.

Interview Question – Very technical, questions about your skill level in Excel, SQL, and any other databases you are familiar with   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I took the initial salary because it was more than I was making at my last job

Visual Designer Interview

Visual Designer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very weird process, and in the end I was sincerely glad that I did not get an offer. Would I have received one, I would have given it a whole lot of thought. I don't buy the "there are no walls in the office" thing.
It seemed that I was interviewing to become the president of the company, and it looked like they wanted to find something wrong with me. The process took longer than long - because the time between two interviews is approximately 2 weeks. After the phone screening, I was there:
1. to meet the human resources person -- who was very kind and the best in this process;
2. the whole team - that lasted me approximately 4 hours;
3. the CEO (another 2 weeks later, another hour or so);
...and finally --
4. after the interview with the CEO, I received an email to see yet another person: the Vice-President of the group, who I absolutely "needed" to meet. Another appointment in the middle of the afternoon (you don't really have a choice) -- and when I got there, the Vice-President could not meet me (**yet ironically I could see her through the glass door**). She could have showed up to say "hi" and somehow explain that she was too busy. Instead, I was interviewed by her assistant, who had no idea of the design process whatsoever, went through a list of items and made the same questions that I had answered already a few times ("what's your design process?").
I didn't feel like I was talking to a person that would work with me. I sincerely was impatient at that point -- would I really like to work with those people?... I started to ask myself. I must have unconsciously talked myself out of the job that day.

The next week the human resources person called me and was very apologetic and embarrassed to tell me "thanks, no thanks" - but I believe it was for the best. I did other interviews (that didn't last half as long) and had a better offer after that. To me, Whale Shark's process was disrespectful and could reflect its culture.
So - if you're interviewing for this position, be aware that you have to be patient and answer the same questions a few times.

Interview Question – What's your design process? - be ready to answer that 3 to 4 times.   Answer Question

Partner Management Coordinator Interview

Partner Management Coordinator
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in October 2011.

Interview Details – After applying for the position online, I was contacted by an HR coordinator a week later through email to schedule a phone interview the following week. The next week I had the scheduled phone interview and was mainly asked to go over my work experience. I was also asked why I chose to apply at WhaleShark Media and what I enjoyed at my last job. The HR coordinator explained the company as a fast paced, growing, young, energetic culture. I was called back for a second phone interview for the next week with a Partner Management Coordinator. The coordinator was not as easy to talk to and stressed during the interview that this was not a 9-5 job and that it consisted of long hours and was very fast paced. If you are applying for this job make sure you know the definition of Affiliate Marketing! More of your typical interview questions were asked during this interview. For example, What are your hobbies, Explain a time when you weren't recognized for your hard work, What makes you a great candidate for this position and Can you handle juggling multiple duties. I was sent an automated email 2 days following the second interview saying they had more qualified candidates they were going to pursue, but thanks for my enthusiasm. Make sure you have a list of questions to ask them about the position and the company.

Interview Question – What is Affiliate Marketing?   Answer Question

Finance/Accounting Interview

Finance/Accounting
Austin, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in October 2011.

Interview Details – In my opinion, I agree with the last poster on the initial process, phone screening & questions. The long start-up hours did not bother me. One question I kept receiving was “walk me through your background.” Everyone I met with in the finance & accounting team was very personable and seemed like an excellent fit.
Except for 1 person, in my opinion, that seemed cantankerous. It was like being cross examined by an attorney. From what I hear on the inside, this person is not putting on an act during the interview.
Based on everyone else I met & growth prospects of this company, I would say the interview was easy & I had an overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
    Walk me through your resume
      Answer Question
  • What do you think about working long start-up hours.
    Have you ever used SAP
    We have an open seating & office culture.
      Answer Question

Senior Online Merchandiser Interview

Senior Online Merchandiser
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in December 2013.

Interview Details – Several phone calls starting with the recruiter followed by members of the team to talk about work history, expectations, and the role. Next, they provided a case study to complete regarding one of their store pages/clients. Final stage was a 1/2 day of in person interviews with recruiter, analyst, department manager, team managers, and sales manager.

Interview Questions

• Complete a case study with limited info they provide you to see how you go about providing solutions. This wasn't difficult for me since I do this daily but I can see how others can have trouble.   Answer Question
  • Why do you think you'd be a good fit? Tell me about your work experience? Tell me about awards you have won? Tell me how you work with others? Pretty basic questions that were asked repetitively.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very difficult decision, but declined due to salary which wasn't competitive with my current salary.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer

Interviewed at RetailMeNot

Interview Details – Technical Phone Screen with a Manager via browser based scratch pad. Went through 2 or 3 questions and coded them out to sufficient detail (didn't have to explicitly compile and run). Post phone screen went in for a 1/2 day tech screen with 5 people. Back to Back tech screens until the last person all on the whiteboard, very CS heavy (big-O analysis of all solutions and a lot of recursion).

Interview Question – They had a fair number of recursive problems as well as a Tree problem   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at RetailMeNot in October 2013.

Interview Details – After talking to them at the career fair, they invited me for a 45 minute on-campus interview. We ended up talking for well over an hour. Very relaxed interview environment

Interview Question – Basic pointer questions/string manipulation   Answer Question

Data Quality Analyst Interview

Data Quality Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with Data Architect. Asked about experience in creating work flow documents, DB ER diagrams, data flow diagrams, decision trees. Requested examples of previous work product. I emailed that, due to confidentiality agreements that every tech company requires employees to sign, I could not provide this information. I welcomed any additional questions, information I could provide, etc. but never heard from anyone at this company again. I consider this extremely unprofessional for two reasons. The first reason is I should never have been asked to break a confidentiality agreement by providing work product from another company. And second they should have followed up with, at the very least, with an email.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at RetailMeNot in February 2014.

Interview Details – Started off with a few simple questions, abstract data types etc. Nothing extremely tricky, or things you would necessarily be able to prepare in advance. Standard "do you know your stuff" questions. We moved to a whiteboard afterwards, where there was a function prototype written and the rest of the function to be written. It wasn't a very hard question, totally do-able if you've taken your core CS classes.

Interview Question – I came into the whiteboard coding question totally unprepared. It wasn't a very difficult problem but I wasn't ready for it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at RetailMeNot

Worked for RetailMeNot? Contribute to the Community!

RetailMeNot Videos

RetailMeNot – Why Work for Us?

RetailMeNot, Inc. connects retailers and brands with the right shppers anytime, anywhere to drive engagement and sales. RetailMeNot, Inc. is the world’s largest marketplace for digital offers. We provide shoppers with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RetailMeNot interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by RetailMeNot employees and interview candidates.