RetailMeNot

Getting the Interview

24 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at RetailMeNot in March 2013.

Interview Details – Thought we had a good conversation, went way over the allotted time frame via phone. I asked a lot of questions and talked about my experience. I thought things went well; I have a lot of experience and expressed my interest in their company via my questions. I was told I would hear back two days later...it has now been a week...and no call

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary...basic questions about my experience and why my interest in their company.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at RetailMeNot in February 2013.

Interview Details – Technical question is:
Consider you wanna fabricate a anonymous letter whose words and abcdef... are cut off from a news paper. So the question is, if this news paper could compose all the alphabetics you need. Write a method in JAVA that returns boolean type. And answer the average speed

Interview Question – Median difficulty. You could adopt hashtable to check existence   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interviewed at RetailMeNot

Interview Details – First interviewed on campus, and was asked some easy problems about OO, and a simple problem about detecting duplicate items in an array.
Invited to Austin to get the on-site interview. I was not prepared well so I didn't perform well in the process. But the problems are not that tough. If you have some basic ideas on linked list, hashmap, tree,etc, I think you can handle that. Also, they focus on web development so they might prefer people who knows python and php.

Interview Question – Some problems on my resume but I was not prepared.   Answer Question

Senior Visual Designer Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred to this position by a current employee and old friend. I had a quick sanity-check phoner with Recruiter to cover the basics; start time, salary range, background on company. I was scheduled to come in for an in-person. I spent 4 hours with 5 different people: Senior Recruiter, VP of Product, UX Designer, Visual Designer, UI Developer. I walked through my work and was encouraged by the discussion of company vision and expectations of day-to-day work. The VP of Product asked more conceptual questions like "What makes a great designer" and "What kind of problems do you like solving." I didn't have a lot of time to discuss work, but I felt very comfortable and the responses were great.

Interview Question – What makes a great designer?   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for this particular position, and they were speedy in setting up a time for me to come in. Interesting bc they wanted to wait until the CEO would be in the office which pushed my interview back a few weeks. Very cool office in downtown Austin, and a great feel throughout the entire office

Interview Question – Pretty basic - Tell us about yourself, basically walking through your resume   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Austin, TX

Interview Details – First off, They are looking for people who are self-starters, highly entrepreneurial, have great business sense, and good in technology.

It all started by applying to the website, within 24 hours they contacted me via email and set-up a phone interview with the recruiter. It was basically going over my history. I had a good conversation with the recruiter, and they set-up a phone interview with a Product Manager at the company for a few days later.

That phone interview was basically a repeat, discussing my history and why I was interested in Product management. After that phone interview, they set-up an onsite interview (I live in Austin) for about a week later. The on-site interview was with 5 people, a developer, product manager, business dev, Director of Product and Senior Director of Product.

In all honesty, the interviews didn't seem hard. It was basically a conversation of what they did, and what I have done. I came in well prepared knowing everything about the company, it's strategy, products, and even did background research on the people who would be interviewing me. I had about two pages of questions for each person interviewing me. I was also interviewing them. :-)

I honestly enjoyed the conversations, and perhaps this was one of the reasons I didn't get hired. I was so relaxed that we had great conversations that got a bit side-tracked on technology and innovation. See my post-moratum for details on that.

I left the interviews pretty confident.

The next morning I got an email from the recruiter saying thanks for my time, but I they decided not to go with me.

Interview Question – Honestly, the development interview was probably the hardest because I hadn't prepared for it. I come from a deep technical background, but wasn't in that mind-set during the interview, so took me some seconds to find the answers. They were actually very basic questions, that I made harder than they really were. I got the correct answers, and in a follow-up post-moratum interview with the Developer, he said that wasn't a problem, I passed the technical interview.

There were questions on how to improve the products and coming up with new products in their market. Honestly that's not hard if you ever used their products and spent 5 min on their site. It's full of opportunities to improve. They have bought many different coupon sites, so integration and innovation has a lot of room to improve.

Design Interview

Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview, in-person interview, etc.

Interview Question – What is your process?   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very weird process, and in the end I was sincerely glad that I did not get an offer. Would I have received one, I would have given it a whole lot of thought. I don't buy the "there are no walls in the office" thing.
It seemed that I was interviewing to become the president of the company, and it looked like they wanted to find something wrong with me. The process took longer than long - because the time between two interviews is approximately 2 weeks. After the phone screening, I was there:
1. to meet the human resources person -- who was very kind and the best in this process;
2. the whole team - that lasted me approximately 4 hours;
3. the CEO (another 2 weeks later, another hour or so);
...and finally --
4. after the interview with the CEO, I received an email to see yet another person: the Vice-President of the group, who I absolutely "needed" to meet. Another appointment in the middle of the afternoon (you don't really have a choice) -- and when I got there, the Vice-President could not meet me (**yet ironically I could see her through the glass door**). She could have showed up to say "hi" and somehow explain that she was too busy. Instead, I was interviewed by her assistant, who had no idea of the design process whatsoever, went through a list of items and made the same questions that I had answered already a few times ("what's your design process?").
I didn't feel like I was talking to a person that would work with me. I sincerely was impatient at that point -- would I really like to work with those people?... I started to ask myself. I must have unconsciously talked myself out of the job that day.

The next week the human resources person called me and was very apologetic and embarrassed to tell me "thanks, no thanks" - but I believe it was for the best. I did other interviews (that didn't last half as long) and had a better offer after that. To me, Whale Shark's process was disrespectful and could reflect its culture.
So - if you're interviewing for this position, be aware that you have to be patient and answer the same questions a few times.

Interview Question – What's your design process? - be ready to answer that 3 to 4 times.   Answer Question

Finance/Accounting Interview

Austin, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in October 2011.

Interview Details – In my opinion, I agree with the last poster on the initial process, phone screening & questions. The long start-up hours did not bother me. One question I kept receiving was “walk me through your background.” Everyone I met with in the finance & accounting team was very personable and seemed like an excellent fit.
Except for 1 person, in my opinion, that seemed cantankerous. It was like being cross examined by an attorney. From what I hear on the inside, this person is not putting on an act during the interview.
Based on everyone else I met & growth prospects of this company, I would say the interview was easy & I had an overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
    Walk me through your resume
      Answer Question
  • What do you think about working long start-up hours.
    Have you ever used SAP
    We have an open seating & office culture.

Partner Management Coordinator Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in October 2011.

Interview Details – After applying for the position online, I was contacted by an HR coordinator a week later through email to schedule a phone interview the following week. The next week I had the scheduled phone interview and was mainly asked to go over my work experience. I was also asked why I chose to apply at WhaleShark Media and what I enjoyed at my last job. The HR coordinator explained the company as a fast paced, growing, young, energetic culture. I was called back for a second phone interview for the next week with a Partner Management Coordinator. The coordinator was not as easy to talk to and stressed during the interview that this was not a 9-5 job and that it consisted of long hours and was very fast paced. If you are applying for this job make sure you know the definition of Affiliate Marketing! More of your typical interview questions were asked during this interview. For example, What are your hobbies, Explain a time when you weren't recognized for your hard work, What makes you a great candidate for this position and Can you handle juggling multiple duties. I was sent an automated email 2 days following the second interview saying they had more qualified candidates they were going to pursue, but thanks for my enthusiasm. Make sure you have a list of questions to ask them about the position and the company.

Interview Question – What is Affiliate Marketing?   Answer Question