RetailMeNot Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.9

Account Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at RetailMeNot in January 2015.

Worst interview process I've been through BY FAR. Left a terrible taste in my mouth toward recruiter, but especially the company!

I applied online and received an email a few hours later that the interviewer would like to schedule a time to chat. We set up a time later that day and after leaving work early, I was contacted only a few minutes before our set time that we had to reschedule. We rescheduled for the next morning.

I told work I'd be a few minutes late the next day and the recruiter goes silent on me. The interview time came and went, and no phone call. I emailed and asked if we were on about 5 mins after the interview was supposed to start, and then later that day reaffirming my interest and asking to reschedule. Nothing.

The next day I sent an "I hope everything is ok" email, but still felt unsettled. I decided to call the main RetailMeNot line and leave a message for the recruiter. I then looked at previous emails and saw she had her phone listed, so I tried to call. The recruiter PICKED UP when I cold called and sounded caught off guard. She said she had been in "back to back meetings" and that's why she missed the interview time. They said they'd email to reschedule and got off the phone quickly.

Only a few hours later, the recruiter called me back while I was driving. I didn't want to have to reschedule again because who knows if I would ever get a hold of them again. We decided to do the interview, which took SIX MINUTES. She asked brief, vague questions including "tell me about your professional background" and "why would you be a good fit for this role". Overall, and to the point of many previous reviews, the recruiter was uninterested and seemed to not care. She then decided to tell me that they were looking for someone with more "experience". She saw what experience I had on my resume.

This process was such a waste of my time and was very unprofessional. Left a bad taste in my mouth for this "recruiter" and RetailMeNot as a whole.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

contacted after submitting resume at university career fair - during the phone interview, once I got stuck on one of the problems, the interviewer seemed very uninterested and unwilling to help, unresponsive to my questions. The recruiter got back to me very quickly to tell me they wouldn't be moving forward.

Interview Questions
    • given an array of strings, return the first one which appears only once in the array   View Answers (2)

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at RetailMeNot in November 2014.

Was contacted by a recruiter based on my LinkedIn profile. After a few emails and formal screening call with her, I had a call two weeks later (delay due to holidays/vacation) with the hiring manager, the VP if I recall correctly. Call went great, answered several scenario-based questions and offered different approaches for specific client accounts they were struggling with.

Overall I felt the call went very well. I sent a thank you note and when I still hadn't heard back two weeks later, I contacted the recruiter. She said the position was being 'reevaluated' but she would be in contact with me soon.

It's been three months and I haven't heard a word from RetailMeNot. Very disappointed that after offering real-world ideas for specific clients, they never has the courtesy to even send a polite 'no thank you' email. Makes the whole experience feel like it was a fishing expedition and they just wanted some new ideas.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

Met with them at a career fair, interviewed at their downtown Austin office.

Went in an had a few warm-up questions, followed by a lengthy coding interview revolving around one problem. Office was nice and people were friendly. Parking was hard to find downtown and I ended up having to pay for it because I didn't use their validated parking lot.

Didn't get the job, probably because I got hung up quite a few times during the coding interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a one-directional list of movie titles in order of how long ago you watched them (there may be duplicates), find the least-recently watched singleton movie title.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

I had an hour long on-campus interview the day after the career fair that they called and invited me to the morning of. It was a technical interview and they only asked one question, but every time I got it a new twist was added to the problem to make me change or expand my answer. Coding was done on paper, not pseudo code.

Interview Questions
    • You have a list of tv episodes in the order they were aired (most recent last in the list). Develop an algorithm to determine which episode should be aired next, based on which episode was aired the least recently.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I had an over the phone interview. Got invited to interview after meeting a recruiter at career fair. Was asked some questions about myself and then given a coding problem to do through an online site. Not a very hard question. Follow up question about how to improve my solution using a different data structure. Interviewer was nice, answered all my questions.

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

Only got as far as a screening call from the HR person. She was fairly abrupt and not super friendly. They were looking for someone with very specific management experience (having managed a team of 8+) and she ended the interview immediately once realizing I didn't hit the 8 number. I appreciate being clear on the need for the role, but I also think from a relationship standpoint, and for future hiring, they'd want to learn about their candidates and maintain a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions at this phase of the process.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

First I had a phone screening and was asked questions about how web works. HTTP commands, DOM, SQL and other basic tech questions. Was also asked some basic behavior questions and questions relating to my resume. After the phone screening I was asked to come in and do an on site interview.

Interview schedule was sent to me and had a series of 1 on 1 interviews. Was asked similar questions which were basically trying to gauge my general testing strategy. Each member of the team had a different question for me that related to testing. "How would you test X?" They looked for my priorities and general strategy. Some questioned why I prioritized certain aspects of the object/app and I was expected to explain it.

Interview Questions
    • Case Question: How would you test a vending machine?   View Answer

Client Services Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

The interviews themselves were not too challenging. The communication from the hiring managers, however, was very terrible. There was an extreme lack of communication early on and throughout the process. Hiring Managers (or whatever the job title) should be very responsible regarding feedback and next steps. At RetailMeNot though, they don't seem to be doing there job very well. I ultimately gave up on the interviewing process because of the extreme lack of professionalism and wouldn't recommend this place to anyone in my network.

Intern Interview

It was a phone interview after I met an engineer at a fair on campus. The question had to do with sorting through a array of deals to determine the most commonly used words.