RetailMeNot Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got contacted by a recruiter, completed an on-campus interview, and got flown out for second-round onsite interviews. The onsite interviews consisted of about four/five consecutive interviews. Everyone was super nice -- interviewers and recruiters alike. Additionally, I came down with a bad cold the week of my interview, and the recruiters were understanding about it. Overall, had a very pleasant experience and got the impression that they really care about their candidates.

Interview Questions

• I indicated an interest in UI, and my interviews were bent in that direction, with interviews about user experience (given screen shots and asked to give feedback), Javascript (conceptual and some light coding), front-end development and then a general coding interview. Given mockups: how would you implement them? Which user interaction features would you implement? javascript closures, prototypes, scope, etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

I was interviewing for the Software Engineering internship. Met recruiter at career fair. She invited me to do an on-campus interview the next day. A few days after my interview, I was invited to come onsite. However, this was just my first semester of college, so I explained I couldn't miss school to go onsite. Over winter break, the recruiter followed up and asked if I could come onsite. I agreed and flew to Austin for an interview. I actually almost wasn't able to go because I got a horrible stomach virus the day I was leaving. The day of the interview, I was overmedicated, running a high fever, and out of it. I somehow managed to do alright in my interviews though. The day consisted of two back-to-back technical interviews in the morning, lunch with some employees and other applicants, and two more back-to-back technical interviews in the afternoon. I found the technical interviews challenging, especially since I had not yet taken a data structures and algorithms class. The questions were interesting and very algorithmic. Every interview, I was drilled on time complexity (even though I had never learned it). I told my interviewer this, and did my best to make it through. Every interview started with the interviewer asking questions about my resume and ended with the an opportunity for me to ask my interviewer questions. At the end of the day, I had a 30 minute non-technical interview about myself and then finally sat down with the recruiter to discuss next steps.

It was a hard decision, but I ultimately opted for a more well-known company in California because I found the stuff they were working on to be more interesting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Most of the process was very smooth and professional. Applied on campus and had short interview the next day with an engineer. Heard back a few days later that they wanted to do an on-site interview, so arranged to go out to Austin a few weekends later. The on-site interview was a long day, with four technical interviews, an interview with the recruiter, and a HR-type interview with a senior developer in the company -- the whole thing lasted most of the morning and afternoon. I mostly enjoyed the experience, but there was absolutely no communication of any kind afterwards in the span that they had said they would get back to me.

Interview Questions

• How would you arrange packets of differing amounts of data into the smallest number of larger packets possible that were each no larger a certain maximum size?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Met a recruiter at the career fair in the Fall through a friend who was a previous Software Engineering intern. The recruiter contacted me in the Spring asking to interview. It was a while before we were able to set this up. The interview with the HR rep were basic questions about my background, work experience, previous projects. Then an interview with the coordinator of the PM internship program (which was very small, I think 2 total PM interns). I then had another interview with another PM, which was similar, just a different perspective. Ultimately was too late in the process, they had already hired interns.

Interview Questions

• Something about discussing trade-offs of making a decision yielding higher profit but negative from a product standpoint...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Ithaca, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour interview, a few short answer questions and one coding question. The short answer questions were "what is a dictionary", and "what is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" These were straight forward to answer. The coding question came in 3 parts, the first and second involving simple iterative functions, but the third was to implement it recursively. The third was easy if you were to implement it from scratch, but not easy when they instructed to change the function by adding a few lines.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, return a list of all the prime numbers formed by concatenating the integers from left to right in that list.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

I submitted my application through my college career center. I heard back from the recruiter within several weeks and scheduled a phone interview. The recruiter asked general questions about my interest in the position as well as my previous experiences. The recruiter also asked many technical questions, which did not require much knowledge of syntax per say but lots of problem solving and logical capabilities. I think this is where I stumbled and why I was not invited back for another interview.

Interview Questions

• Many logic based questions of about equal difficulty, very similar to those asked for other software engineering positions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Submit resume through the campus interview, answered some simple questions on the career fair and got an technical interview the day after the campus career fair. The interviews are mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Get the entries happened more than two times in a list   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Hoboken, NJ) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through their website and heard back in a couple of days, the hiring manager was friendly and said because of my background I would be considered for 2 or more roles. I had a phone screen, followed by a phone interview the next day with a director- the process seemed to be moving quickly. I was then asked to come in for an in person interview and give a presentation. I prepared over 3 days and gave a killer presentation, met 3 people on 1:1 sessions and including a director who saw my presentation remotely. There was never any doubt I was well suited for the job, had the background they were looking for. I then had a call that same day at 6pm with a VP in Austin, overall it went good also and he seemed personable. I sent my follow up thank you email and was looking forward to feedback which I got after 2-3 days and it was thanking me for my time and all but that they were going to consider a few more candidates, no reason indicating I was not the ideal fit - overall a big question in mind as to why I didn't get an offer, it seemed very misleading after 3 phone interviews and meeting 4 people.

Interview Questions

• Have presentation, few questions asked, I had most of the questions   1 Answer

Account Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Worst interview process I've been through BY FAR. Left a terrible taste in my mouth toward recruiter, but especially the company! I applied online and received an email a few hours later that the interviewer would like to schedule a time to chat. We set up a time later that day and after leaving work early, I was contacted only a few minutes before our set time that we had to reschedule. We rescheduled for the next morning. I told work I'd be a few minutes late the next day and the recruiter goes silent on me. The interview time came and went, and no phone call. I emailed and asked if we were on about 5 mins after the interview was supposed to start, and then later that day reaffirming my interest and asking to reschedule. Nothing. The next day I sent an "I hope everything is ok" email, but still felt unsettled. I decided to call the main RetailMeNot line and leave a message for the recruiter. I then looked at previous emails and saw she had her phone listed, so I tried to call. The recruiter PICKED UP when I cold called and sounded caught off guard. She said she had been in "back to back meetings" and that's why she missed the interview time. They said they'd email to reschedule and got off the phone quickly. Only a few hours later, the recruiter called me back while I was driving. I didn't want to have to reschedule again because who knows if I would ever get a hold of them again. We decided to do the interview, which took SIX MINUTES. She asked brief, vague questions including "tell me about your professional background" and "why would you be a good fit for this role". Overall, and to the point of many previous reviews, the recruiter was uninterested and seemed to not care. She then decided to tell me that they were looking for someone with more "experience". She saw what experience I had on my resume. This process was such a waste of my time and was very unprofessional. Left a bad taste in my mouth for this "recruiter" and RetailMeNot as a whole.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

contacted after submitting resume at university career fair - during the phone interview, once I got stuck on one of the problems, the interviewer seemed very uninterested and unwilling to help, unresponsive to my questions. The recruiter got back to me very quickly to tell me they wouldn't be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• given an array of strings, return the first one which appears only once in the array   2 Answers