RetailMeNot Visual Designer Interview Questions & Reviews

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at RetailMeNot in July 2013.

Received a call from a hiring manager that was asked about my experience and made me questions about their website.
Interviewer was aggressive; I would even say rude.
I have done many interviews (face to face and over the phone) and this was the shortest and most harsh. In the end I felt like she called me just because she had to (maybe she needed to reach a number).
Before almost hanging up on me, she said that they were not looking for somone with <my experience>, although by email she had said "what a great resume".
Huh. Why calling me, then?

Interview Questions
  • What do you think of our current website?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for RetailMeNot

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at RetailMeNot in March 2012.

Very weird process, and in the end I was sincerely glad that I did not get an offer. Would I have received one, I would have given it a whole lot of thought. I don't buy the "there are no walls in the office" thing.
    It seemed that I was interviewing to become the president of the company, and it looked like they wanted to find something wrong with me. The process took longer than long - because the time between two interviews is approximately 2 weeks. After the phone screening, I was there:
    1. to meet the human resources person -- who was very kind and the best in this process;
    2. the whole team - that lasted me approximately 4 hours;
    3. the CEO (another 2 weeks later, another hour or so);
    ...and finally --
    4. after the interview with the CEO, I received an email to see yet another person: the Vice-President of the group, who I absolutely "needed" to meet. Another appointment in the middle of the afternoon (you don't really have a choice) -- and when I got there, the Vice-President could not meet me (**yet ironically I could see her through the glass door**). She could have showed up to say "hi" and somehow explain that she was too busy. Instead, I was interviewed by her assistant, who had no idea of the design process whatsoever, went through a list of items and made the same questions that I had answered already a few times ("what's your design process?").
    I didn't feel like I was talking to a person that would work with me. I sincerely was impatient at that point -- would I really like to work with those people?... I started to ask myself. I must have unconsciously talked myself out of the job that day.

The next week the human resources person called me and was very apologetic and embarrassed to tell me "thanks, no thanks" - but I believe it was for the best. I did other interviews (that didn't last half as long) and had a better offer after that. To me, Whale Shark's process was disrespectful and could reflect its culture.
    So - if you're interviewing for this position, be aware that you have to be patient and answer the same questions a few times.

Interview Questions
    • What's your design process? - be ready to answer that 3 to 4 times.   Answer Question

Worked for RetailMeNot? Contribute to the Community!