RethinkDB Interview Questions

3.5

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at RethinkDB.

Phone/skype interview, take home problem to plan a sample event, and then on-site interview with community manager/founders.
    Employees and founders were very nice, welcoming. Intreesting vibe at the company and it is clear they pick carefully.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to plan a mock event -- most other questions were your standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RethinkDB in February 2012.

B Tree related questions, plus probability questions, and a lot of questions related with algorithm& data structure. and also some questions with code optimization. it might be a difficult Challenge if you never touch code optimization with computer architecture.

Software/Systems Engineer Intern Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at RethinkDB in March 2011.

I had two telephonic interviews.
    The first one had 3 programming questions which I had to code in C/C++ on Google docs.
    1. Check whether a given tree is a bst or not.
    2. Print all permutations of a given string.
    3. Given a matrix of 0's and 1's return one of the largest sub-matrix consisting of only 1's.
    Second telephonic interview :
    1.Design and implement data structure to evaluate infix expressions.

Interview Questions
    • Check whether a given tree is a bst or not.   Answer Question
    • Print all permutations of a given string.   Answer Question
    • Given a matrix of 0's and 1's return one of the largest sub-matrix consisting of only 1's.   Answer Question
    • Design and implement data structure to evaluate infix expressions.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at RethinkDB in January 2011.

I had interview with the founder Slava. I didn't get a good vibe from him even from the start of the interview. Maybe he interviewed a lot of people already and don't have any more patient for the interview process. I could sense that he felt I was there just to waste his time.

Except questions about B-tree, binary search tree (know the difference between B-tree and BST), link list (insert, delete, reserves), big-O notation time complexity, time complexities of basic sorting algorithm (insert sort, BT sort, bubble sort...), string manipulation. If you a recent graduate as I am and listed knowledge is still fresh in your mind , you will do fine. The interview felt most like school exam.

Throughout the interview process, he acted like a dictator not willing to listen.