Return Path

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Broomfield, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Return Path in March 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiters I interacted with were very on the ball, both at the junior and senior level. My emails and inquiries were always responded to with the utmost urgency, which I was very appreciative for. I had a phone screen with a recruiter and a phone interview with the hiring manager. I did not make it to an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Which of these would you rate as the #1 most important thing in a business:
    Quality, Security, Customer Satisfaction.
      Answer Question
  • At the end of the day when you go home, how do you know you did a good job?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Return Path in May 2011.

Interview Details – I had gone through a series of interviews with different people and their titles were all very different from one another. It was more of how things got done in my experience and what I do in a time sensitive scenario. The ranks of people varied in management skill also, so that was different.

Interview Question – There really were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Customer Researcher Interview

Customer Researcher
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Return Path in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and it took about a week to get an HR interview, then another few days to get an interview with the Senior Director of UX. After that they flew me out for an interview a few weeks later. They crammed 12 interviews into 4 hours which is somewhat expected since I flew in from out of town. Most people seemed friendly and dedicated to their jobs.The interviews were very thorough. There were a few silly questions and one interviewer was really grilling me, but overall everyone was polite and prepared for the interview which I appreciated. It took HR longer than I expected to get back with an answer and I've asked for feedback but have not received any. Overall It was a good experience and Return Path looks like a great place to work.

Interview Question – There were not really any trick or difficult questions. The UX team "tested" me by giving me a situation and asking for a strategy and what questions would I ask the subjects. It was the first time they did the role play so it was a bit rough on their end but nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

Interviewed at Return Path

Interview Details – Applied online then used LinkedIn to reach out to recruiters. Scheduled a phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. The recruiter was 15+ minutes late calling. I was invited to do an interview with the hiring manager, but ended up pulling out of the interview process.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected - why Return Path and why leaving current company.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Return Path in August 2013.

Interview Details – Return Path appears to be an excellent company with amazing potential. I went through seven one-on-one interviews via phone and live visit, and the team is smart and thorough in their questions. The process did take five weeks, which seemed overly long. The HR team was often slow to respond and not overly helpful with details.

Interview Question – No one asked me about myself or my passions. For a company that says they are 'people first,' I was surprised at how much the focus was on the work rather than the individual.   Answer Question

Applications Support Interview

Applications Support
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Return Path in August 2010.

Interview Details – When you read the job post... and it states that "Don’t get us wrong, it’s not easy to land a gig at RP..." this is very true! The interview process is very extensive -- anywhere between 4-12 interviews. The focus is on cultural fit. Be ready for a practical for every position.

Interview Question – Definitely hone your Perl / Unix command line skills...   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Developer
Broomfield, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Return Path in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter for a developer position at Return Path which lead to an initial phone interview. This lead to a technical phone interview by a department head, and ultimately to an in-person interview.

I was a little annoyed at how long it took for anything to happen. From the first contact email, phone interview, technical, and in person, each step appeared to take one week. I understand that things can't be scheduled immediately all the time, but one week to schedule one call, then another week to schedule another call seemed a bit absurd.

Interview Question – The interview process wasn't like a typical technical interview, instead of asking questions, they presented me with a laptop with a dev site, some code, and asked me to troubleshoot/debug the problem. While I like this idea to really identify potential candidates for technical positions, it has too many flaws, the interviewers being present in the room can inadvertently lead or mis-lead the candidate in the wrong direction, then leave the candidate believing it's his or her fault.

It puts a lot of stress on the candidate, as most candidates won't be comfortable with the code base, or the environment. Expectations too high from the employer/interviewers not recognizing that their questions tend to lead a candidate.

The bug I had to troubleshoot was an interesting one, and I was on the right path quickly. A form wasn't submitting correctly under some circumstances. I was curious at the javascript surrounding a forms onclick events and started investigating that. Had I continued down that path, I could have solved the problem quickly. Unfortunately, both of the interviewers would interrupt my train of thought constantly, asking questions for themselves - this was because one of them wasn't familiar with the bug in question and was testing himself.

In the end they said I wasn't good enough but refused to acknowledge that their interference comes across as leading the candidate. They cut the interview short which I also found to be insulting.
  View Answer

Very Easy Interview

User Experience Engineer Interview

User Experience Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Return Path in March 2012.

Interview Details – Started with a phone screen from HR. Then went to office in Broomfield for a 1:1 and also a group panel interview. Everyone was very nice and friendly. At the group stage it became quite obvious that they did not truly understand user experience. The questions they asked seemed to be out of context. My questions seemed to baffle them, as if they were out of place. It seemed to me they really just wanted an ace visual designer who is also an expert coder.

After the interview, they said they would get back to me by the end of the week (2 days). It took about 10 days to get an offer.

Interview Question – Take up through a portfolio piece, emphasis on visual design   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was low and it did not seem like a good fit. UX is definitely a very new thing at Return Path, the position I interviewed for would have been the first UX hire there. The current 2 UX folks there are a develop and UI designer who added UX to their name. I felt I would have a bad time being supervised by 2 people who had vastly different opinions than my own of what user experience entails.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Related Interview

Sales Related
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Return Path in January 2012.

Interview Details – Initially spoke with the Recruiting Director who seemed overwhelmed. It took a few days to get back on follow up interview to meet the team. People were nice but I got the feeling company was having some struggles internally.

Interview Question – Don't recall... the interview seemed standard for the role   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Return Path in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied for a Web Developer position at Return Path in Denver after seeking a path to move back to the area. Made it past the initial phone screen, skills test (PHP & SQL), 2:1 interview with the development team, HR interview (x2), but in the end was offered a substantial position locally in Chicago and had to (sadly) end the interview process.

I was highly impressed with Return Path's interview process, background in their market space, and employee endorsement of their (award-winning) company culture, all of which had been explained at length to me by several company employees and discovered through personal research. They seem to have their head(s) together at Return Path, to put it succinctly. The skills test and 2:1 interview were just difficult enough to challenge me, which I quite enjoyed.

If, in the future, the opportunity presents itself to work with Return Path my resume will be over there in a heartbeat. Great people and a very fair interview process; I honestly can't speak highly enough of them.

Interview Question – When would an INNER JOIN be used as opposed to an OUTER JOIN?   Answer Question

Worked for Return Path? Contribute to the Community!