Reynolds and Reynolds

Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.1

Technical Writing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds in February 2015.

Very automated feeling robo emails with preliminary tests to take (see descriptions in other reviews). Then set up an appointment to take another mathematics type screening (see ASVAB and SAT math prep sections for a review). Frankly, my dear, I do not care to memorize the formula for the finding the hypotenuse of right triangle anymore. No calculator. No "crib sheet". If you've been working as a professional technical writer for all kinds of engineering and technical documentation, why is this an appropriate next step towards an interview? It is the job of the SME to provide clear technical data and for the technical writer to convey it appropriately to various audiences. Geez. Research into the RR interview process reveals that it is a comprehensive screening battery designed by IBM to ferret out techies who might be applying for the wrong positions and steer them elsewhere.

The management approach is described as something out of the old "Metropolis" classic film - hierarchical and inflexible. Excerpts from the Employee Manual posted online sound as though management thoroughly distrusts and even hates their employees. Degrading!

I asked the recruiter for a basic salary range for the writing position but received the standard runaround, albeit politely. Further online research seems to state about $38,000 or $18/hr. I don't mind starting a bit down from recent pay grades to learn a completely different documentation model, but not down to this level. Other online posts seem to confirm that there is very little employee development and prospect of an upward path. Once your peg has been place in their round or square hole, you are pretty much stuck there.

This all seems a shame because the company started out with a bright future and real incentives for employees.

If you search for Reynolds & Reynolds assessment, sample questions, interview process, or salaries online, you will find the kinds of information I describe above. After evaluating all the factors against this process and company, I cancelled my appointment with them. Who needs this kind ridiculous rigidity and penalizing approach to micromanaging everyone and everything?

Interview Questions
    • The length of the shadow of a flagpole was found to be 72 feet. The shadow of a 3 foot picket fence in line with the flagpole was 4 feet. What is the height of the flagpole?   View Answer
    • Personality question: I used to have a lot of trouble being late for work, but that is all behind me now. [Choice ranges from Agree Not At All to Totally Agree].   View Answer

As I researched more about the company, its application process, and management style, I decided that i am not a good fit for the kind of person who might be happy taking a job there.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

I initially applied through my university career center. I was then contacted about a week later from an HR representative. From their the process consisted of seemingly endless interviews and tests. The tests in particular became increasingly aggravating given how I was asked to repeat the exact same test several times. This went on for several months until they ultimately reached a decision. While I understand that hiring the right people takes some time, taking several months seemed like a waste of both mine and the employers time.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

1. get a phone call asking about your basic info
    2. Send you an email to schedule a onsite test time
    3. Send you confirmation email with an online test (If your English is well, you will pass it)
    4. onsite test (If your Math is well, you will pass)
    5. Send you back waiting for phone call.

Interview Questions
    • A few questions (2 to 4) have no right option. Be careful with that.   Answer Question

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

I was contacted by HR for a Skype interview. I set aside the time and made sure I was ready. Questions were very basic. "Best moments, worst moments" and questions about school and my previous work experience.

They brought up salary and asked if I was firm on my preferred amount. I tried to work with them but they still offered much lower than I expected. I made the same as an intern as they offered for a full time position.

They also ask you to complete a 3 hour assessment that in reality took me about 6 hours to fill out. For being a designer I'm not sure what some of it had to do with the job.

I do feel the salary and assessment became the issue in why I wasn't offered the job, which is sad because it seems like a great opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment tests was the most difficult part of the entire process.   Answer Question

Data Center Operations Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

The first step in the hiring/interview process is for you to sit down and take an aptitude test at the company. You'll sit at a computer and take a series of tests similar to parts of the ASVAB and SAT tests you took in high school. Pattern recognition, basic to challenging math problems, word problems, and general testing of situation handling.
    They'll either review your score on the spot and let you know that they'd like to interview you right now or they'll tell you that they'll call you (This is the ruse. They will not be calling you if they send you home after you are finished with the test).
    If there is an interviewer available from any of their locations (College Station, TX, Dayton, OH or Houston, TX for US residents) they'll have you sit in a room and either do an interview in person if the interviewer is on site or they'll do the interview via Skype call. Usually this interview will last about 45 minutes to an hour. Data Center Operators are interviewed by both the supervisor and the manager. Each has their own approach to interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • This depends on your previous experience in the IT field if you had any at all. The questions will be tailored to what they get from your resume. If you don't want to get hung up on something, be sure not to include anything you don't want them to potentially ask about.   Answer Question
    I opened with a rate I felt was reasonable for an entry level IT position but was told that if I wanted the job I'd have to start at no more than $29k.

Marketing Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds in January 2015.

I applied online and was sent an email letting me know they were interested in moving forward in the process with me. I was given a link along with a username and password. The link was for an online application (basically requiring you to put your resume in a new format), a personality assessment, and a cognitive assessment. The whole assessment took two hours. It then took over a week to hear back from Reynolds and Reynolds. I received a generic email letting me know that they would not be moving further in the process with me. After reading everything I did on Glassdoor I was a-OK with that. I mostly spent the two hours on their assessment so that I could see what it was like and better prepare for other companies that may have a similar assessment. The cognitive assessment was definitely difficult seeing as though I haven't been in school for many years.

Interview Questions
    • What letter is next in each of these series? (Then they give you a pattern of letters.)   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds in January 2015.

The process is a bit crazy. There are several tests that need to be completed and a huge stack of review and reading. At the end I really was not impressed with the company or the process.

Interview Questions

A dated product that really offers its customers little value.

Entry Level Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds in January 2015.

I applied for this position online via a job board. In three days, a Recruiting Coordinator emailed me and said: "We have reviewed your information and would like to proceed to the next step in the process and invite you to our facility in Dayton for an aptitude assessment as well as a possible interview. Keep in mind while scheduling your appointment that the assessment test takes an hour to complete and depending on the availability of a recruiter, you may receive an interview thereafter." I proceeded to schedule the onsite visit 14 days from then. In the meantime, I was emailed links to complete the following online: an Application, Personality Assessment, and Ethics Assessment. I completed these items and then went to the Dayton facility for the aptitude assessment on my scheduled day/time. The aptitude assessment was a three-section logic and reasoning test that took me about one hour to complete. I was unable to complete the tests within the time that was allocated for each of them so I did not feel very confident when I was finished. I exited the computer room that I took the test with about 12+ other people and went to the counter where the coordinator was sitting. She said she was looking at my information and it did not appear that they had any other questions and I would be hearing from them in 3 to 5 business days. I knew right then and there that I was being rejected. Sure enough, 3 days later, I received the following email: "Thank you for your interest in employment with Reynolds and Reynolds. We appreciate the time you spent applying with us; however, we will not be proceeding with your application at this time. Again, thank you for your time and we wish you the best of luck in your career search."

This experience was obviously not a positive one for me. I spent a lot of time completing their requests and then more time taking a test that is geared toward people with very high IQs and never even received an interview. One's eduction and experience does not seem to count for anything with them...it is as if they believe one's potential is all based off the results of these tests. I do not believe this to be an accurate way to sum someone up. In addition, I felt like the process was very intrusive. I regret that I ever allowed them to get inside my head and waste my time...a lesson learned the hard way.

Business Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

The process took about one week.

- apply online.
    - receive email to schedule interview. Prior to the interview date, you need to complete Application, Personality Assessment, and Ethics Assessment online.
    - on the interview date, an aptitude test will be taken (pattern, math).
    - after that, HR will talk to you.

Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds in January 2015.

Sent my resume thru my school career center and got a immediate request to come in for assesment. I had to take several test at home and when i got to the facility had to take three more. Math without a calculator. Who in this day and age really does anything with out some type of electronic help. None of the test had anything to do with real life situations.