Reynolds and Reynolds Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2015

3.1

Technical Writing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Very automated feeling robo emails with preliminary tests to take (see descriptions in other reviews). Then set up an appointment to take another mathematics type screening (see ASVAB and SAT math prep sections for a review). Frankly, my dear, I do not care to memorize the formula for the finding the hypotenuse of right triangle anymore. No calculator. No "crib sheet". If you've been working as a professional technical writer for all kinds of engineering and technical documentation, why is this an appropriate next step towards an interview? It is the job of the SME to provide clear technical data and for the technical writer to convey it appropriately to various audiences. Geez. Research into the RR interview process reveals that it is a comprehensive screening battery designed by IBM to ferret out techies who might be applying for the wrong positions and steer them elsewhere.

The management approach is described as something out of the old "Metropolis" classic film - hierarchical and inflexible. Excerpts from the Employee Manual posted online sound as though management thoroughly distrusts and even hates their employees. Degrading!

I asked the recruiter for a basic salary range for the writing position but received the standard runaround, albeit politely. Further online research seems to state about $38,000 or $18/hr. I don't mind starting a bit down from recent pay grades to learn a completely different documentation model, but not down to this level. Other online posts seem to confirm that there is very little employee development and prospect of an upward path. Once your peg has been place in their round or square hole, you are pretty much stuck there.

This all seems a shame because the company started out with a bright future and real incentives for employees.

If you search for Reynolds & Reynolds assessment, sample questions, interview process, or salaries online, you will find the kinds of information I describe above. After evaluating all the factors against this process and company, I cancelled my appointment with them. Who needs this kind ridiculous rigidity and penalizing approach to micromanaging everyone and everything?

Interview Questions

• The length of the shadow of a flagpole was found to be 72 feet. The shadow of a 3 foot picket fence in line with the flagpole was 4 feet. What is the height of the flagpole?   1 Answer
    • Personality question: I used to have a lot of trouble being late for work, but that is all behind me now. [Choice ranges from Agree Not At All to Totally Agree].   1 Answer

As I researched more about the company, its application process, and management style, I decided that i am not a good fit for the kind of person who might be happy taking a job there.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

Interview

I initially applied through my university career center. I was then contacted about a week later from an HR representative. From their the process consisted of seemingly endless interviews and tests. The tests in particular became increasingly aggravating given how I was asked to repeat the exact same test several times. This went on for several months until they ultimately reached a decision. While I understand that hiring the right people takes some time, taking several months seemed like a waste of both mine and the employers time.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

Interview

1. get a phone call asking about your basic info
    2. Send you an email to schedule a onsite test time
    3. Send you confirmation email with an online test (If your English is well, you will pass it)
    4. onsite test (If your Math is well, you will pass)
    5. Send you back waiting for phone call.

Interview Questions

• A few questions (2 to 4) have no right option. Be careful with that.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for a Skype interview. I set aside the time and made sure I was ready. Questions were very basic. "Best moments, worst moments" and questions about school and my previous work experience.

They brought up salary and asked if I was firm on my preferred amount. I tried to work with them but they still offered much lower than I expected. I made the same as an intern as they offered for a full time position.

They also ask you to complete a 3 hour assessment that in reality took me about 6 hours to fill out. For being a designer I'm not sure what some of it had to do with the job.

I do feel the salary and assessment became the issue in why I wasn't offered the job, which is sad because it seems like a great opportunity.

Interview Questions

• The assessment tests was the most difficult part of the entire process.   Answer Question

Data Center Operations Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds.

Interview

The first step in the hiring/interview process is for you to sit down and take an aptitude test at the company. You'll sit at a computer and take a series of tests similar to parts of the ASVAB and SAT tests you took in high school. Pattern recognition, basic to challenging math problems, word problems, and general testing of situation handling.
    They'll either review your score on the spot and let you know that they'd like to interview you right now or they'll tell you that they'll call you (This is the ruse. They will not be calling you if they send you home after you are finished with the test).
    If there is an interviewer available from any of their locations (College Station, TX, Dayton, OH or Houston, TX for US residents) they'll have you sit in a room and either do an interview in person if the interviewer is on site or they'll do the interview via Skype call. Usually this interview will last about 45 minutes to an hour. Data Center Operators are interviewed by both the supervisor and the manager. Each has their own approach to interviewing.

Interview Questions

• This depends on your previous experience in the IT field if you had any at all. The questions will be tailored to what they get from your resume. If you don't want to get hung up on something, be sure not to include anything you don't want them to potentially ask about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I opened with a rate I felt was reasonable for an entry level IT position but was told that if I wanted the job I'd have to start at no more than $29k.

Software Education Course Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Very impersonal. After I expressed interest in the position with a cover letter and resume, I was sent an email indicating they were interested moving forward with the application process. I was sent a link to complete the following at home: online application, "personality assessment", and "ethics assessment". This process took a couple of hours. The next day, I received another email stating, "would like to meet with you." Upon arrival to my 'meeting', I was given log-in information to complete additional 'aptitude' testing. This took yet another 1 1/2 hours. By the way, I was part of a group of people who had been called in to complete the same process. After completing my test, the receptionist took my scratch paper and informed me that I would receive another email in 3-5 business days with a decision whether or not they will move forward in the interview process. That was it. I never met with anyone one-on-one; I only dealt with the receptionist in the HR office. About a week later, I received an email thanking me for my time and that they would not proceed with the application process. No other information was given.

The testing was a bit odd (to say the least), especially since absolutely none of it had to do with the position for which I applied. The 'personality' assessment questions were ambiguous without an opportunity to clarify or explain answers. It even forced me to go back and re-answer those questions where I indicated either a middle response or does not apply to me. Furthermore, I fail to see how knowing the place of Princess Diana's death has anything to do with a professional job requirement. The ethics assessment was politically charged and asked questions, that quite frankly, I think should not be discussed in a professional environment: Do you feel the homeless chose their way of life and deserve what they get? Seriously? I was also asked about whether or not I felt that those who are less privileged deserved their status in life. The aptitude assessment involved heavy algebra (word problems) and geometrical shapes and pattern recognition. The tests were timed and are not designed to be completed within the time limit. This type of 'pre-employment' testing is irrelevant and fails to assess a person's true ability to perform job functions. Questions also asked about my social habits such as smoking and social interactions with friends and family. They also asked questions to determine feelings about honesty and theft. I wonder what the true purpose is for this type of pre-employment evaluation and screening.

Digital Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds (Dayton, OH) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview, Test, Skype Interview, Onsite Interview. Very straight forward, The test is extremely important. Easy interview, I didnt even know much about the company going in. They are more worried about finding intelligent and motivated employees.

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing you would say sets you apart from other candidates?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked to increase salary.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. sent me a email to complete a personality and aptitude test. A day later someone from the recruitment office called to review resume and ask about past job experience. following that she scheduled a skype interview. skype interview took about 30 min. Some of the type of questions they as give you the feeling that they are using the interview process to do market research.

Interview Questions

• what other positions are you applying for?
      what reasons would make you want to leave the company?
      what are some benefits that Reynolds offers that competition does not ?
      plus the regular personality questions....

Answer Question

Account Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds (Sacramento, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The process involved an initial phone call from a recruiter. Next there is a series of test that must be taken online. Then a phone interview. The test take about 2-3 hours to take.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Reynolds and Reynolds in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was sent an email letting me know they were interested in moving forward in the process with me. I was given a link along with a username and password. The link was for an online application (basically requiring you to put your resume in a new format), a personality assessment, and a cognitive assessment. The whole assessment took two hours. It then took over a week to hear back from Reynolds and Reynolds. I received a generic email letting me know that they would not be moving further in the process with me. After reading everything I did on Glassdoor I was a-OK with that. I mostly spent the two hours on their assessment so that I could see what it was like and better prepare for other companies that may have a similar assessment. The cognitive assessment was definitely difficult seeing as though I haven't been in school for many years.

Interview Questions

• What letter is next in each of these series? (Then they give you a pattern of letters.)   Answer Question