Rice University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2014
Updated Sep 20, 2014

2.9

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I had no interview process since I applied for my PhD program online.The online fee was around $100 if my memory is correct. Staff in the department was pretty helpful and friendly to answer all my questions before I attended to Rice. GRE requirement is not quite high for perspective students in Engineering School.

Interview Questions
    • If the professor's funding is cut, you probably need to find your own financial support. There is no guarantee that you can always receive the financial support until you graduate from the department or your advisor. This situation might make your life more stressful.   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rice University.

I submitted an application and then went in for a single interview. I interviewed with the entire administrative staff first (roughly 12 people) and then with the directors. I then received a call about a week later and was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Every question was a standard interview question, i.e. "how do you handle stress?".   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate a salary. Being a non-profit, they were limited in their budget. (I probably could have negotiated a little bit.)

Accounting Assistant Interview

Very smooth process, gave great direction and set clear expectations

IT Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Rice University.

Very straightforward.
    A few technical questions to access skill and a few behavioral questions. Job offer was prompt.

Assistant Professor Interview

The recruiting/hiring process followed the pretty standard iter of academic jobs, at least in science department. No surprises. Being one of the smaller top-tier universities, and being in the Houston, the experience was somewhat less formal than in other places. The department is smaller than elsewhere, which makes the interview visit less hectic.
    Once the interview were over the offer, second visit, and negotiation parts were quite smooth and uneventful, and moving in a timely fashion.

Interview Questions
    • We are talking about faculty hires, so most of the interview revolves around research (match, promise, etc...). It's hard to mention any specific example because the hardest questions tend to be about fairly candidate-specific points.
      Overall in faculty hires there is the concern with the likelihood that the candidate will develop a robust (and well funded) research program, attract students, cultivate collaboration opportunities.
        Answer Question
    Pretty straight. I did not have much requests and the initial offer was quite satisfactory, considering in its entirety (that is not just the salary by "start up" package, etc.)

Summer Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rice University in March 2014.

You begin by turning in an application, then you should respond to emails regarding the interview. After setting it up, you should go to the interview, and then wait for an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you dealt with frustrating circumstances.   View Answer

I couldn't find living quarters near the university in time to respond to the job offer with confidence.

Tour Guide Interview

Turn in application. Everyone accepted for the next round interviews on the same day, 4 days later, in 15 minute intervals. Learned whether you are accepted by the next week after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If your group contains students from every division, how do you fit all of their department building locations on the same tour.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rice University.

you have the chance to work as a T A when you are a PhD at Rice. you work in the department in which you are a student. There is a process that you get a chance to select which course you want to TA. It's basically an evaluation form which includes instructor and requirement.

Payroll Specialist Interview

The Hiring process was fairly simple, a lot of personality questions.

After applying I received a phone interview from hiring managers and then two weeks later a second interview was requested. I was in NYC so they arranged a skype interview for me.

The second interview they asked about my job qualifications etc. Very easy overall.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "How do i deal with office politics"   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate- they offered salary within my range.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rice University.

I had a phone interview with them and they promised to let me know the outcome. Unfortunately no one contacted me to at least inform that they are not interested in the second interview. It is a courtesy and I was expecting a better interview experience at Rice.