Rice University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rice University in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was smooth. It includes meeting with lab members, supervisor, discussing the proposed project that you work on etc. We had a lunch with lab members and dinner. I presented my past research. Then I needed to wait couple more weeks to hear from the faculty who interviewed me. I negotiated the salary but it was fixed and nothing has changed from the initial offer.

Interview Question – why you want to stay in academia?   Answer Question

Summer Office Assistant Interview

Summer Office Assistant

I interviewed at Rice University in May 2013.

Interview Details – Emailed my resume to the department coordinator, agreed to meeting a few days later to discuss the position and responsibilities. Everyone was very nice and they gave me an offer on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher

Interviewed at Rice University

Interview Details – I had no interview process since I applied for my PhD program online.The online fee was around $100 if my memory is correct. Staff in the department was pretty helpful and friendly to answer all my questions before I attended to Rice. GRE requirement is not quite high for perspective students in Engineering School.

Interview Question – If the professor's funding is cut, you probably need to find your own financial support. There is no guarantee that you can always receive the financial support until you graduate from the department or your advisor. This situation might make your life more stressful.   Answer Question

Summer Counselor Interview

Summer Counselor
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rice University in March 2014.

Interview Details – You begin by turning in an application, then you should respond to emails regarding the interview. After setting it up, you should go to the interview, and then wait for an offer.

Interview Question – Describe a time you dealt with frustrating circumstances.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I couldn't find living quarters near the university in time to respond to the job offer with confidence.

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rice University.

Interview Details – I submitted an application and then went in for a single interview. I interviewed with the entire administrative staff first (roughly 12 people) and then with the directors. I then received a call about a week later and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Every question was a standard interview question, i.e. "how do you handle stress?".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate a salary. Being a non-profit, they were limited in their budget. (I probably could have negotiated a little bit.)

Accounting Assistant Interview

Accounting Assistant

Interviewed at Rice University

Interview Details – Very smooth process, gave great direction and set clear expectations

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness   Answer Question

IT Consultant Interview

IT Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Rice University.

Interview Details – Very straightforward.
A few technical questions to access skill and a few behavioral questions. Job offer was prompt.

Interview Question – A few questions about networks and equipment   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor

Interviewed at Rice University

Interview Details – The recruiting/hiring process followed the pretty standard iter of academic jobs, at least in science department. No surprises. Being one of the smaller top-tier universities, and being in the Houston, the experience was somewhat less formal than in other places. The department is smaller than elsewhere, which makes the interview visit less hectic.
Once the interview were over the offer, second visit, and negotiation parts were quite smooth and uneventful, and moving in a timely fashion.

Interview Question – We are talking about faculty hires, so most of the interview revolves around research (match, promise, etc...). It's hard to mention any specific example because the hardest questions tend to be about fairly candidate-specific points.
Overall in faculty hires there is the concern with the likelihood that the candidate will develop a robust (and well funded) research program, attract students, cultivate collaboration opportunities.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straight. I did not have much requests and the initial offer was quite satisfactory, considering in its entirety (that is not just the salary by "start up" package, etc.)

Tour Guide Interview

Tour Guide

Interviewed at Rice University

Interview Details – Turn in application. Everyone accepted for the next round interviews on the same day, 4 days later, in 15 minute intervals. Learned whether you are accepted by the next week after the interview.

Interview Question – If your group contains students from every division, how do you fit all of their department building locations on the same tour.   Answer Question

Assistant Athletic Director Interview

Assistant Athletic Director
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Rice University in March 2011.

Interview Details – Had a full days itinerary of meeting with various department personnel

Negotiation Details – Willing to negotiate

Worked for Rice University? Contribute to the Community!