RightNow Technologies Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2014

3.1

Client Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at RightNow Technologies.

multiple sessions. some panel interviews with peers, managers, and VP of the branch. Travel was paid for by the company. Stayed in very nice hotel and had car rental and meals paid for.

I was able to negotiate base salary based on cost of living differential.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bozeman, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at RightNow Technologies in October 2010.

I applied to RightNow four times for software engineering positions in three different departments (Professional Services, Development, and Customer Care).
    I received a questionnaire from Development which asked culture questions but nothing technical and I never heard back.
    I received a phone call from a Customer Care manager because I had lived in the same country where that person was from. In talking with him, I was then able to coordinate an in-person interview two weeks later. He was very nice and helped move the interview process forward.
    I arrived for the in-person interview and there was no-one to meet me at the door to let me in. A person let me in and told me where to go to find the person who I was supposed to meet. I walked to this persons office and introduced myself. She was nice and led me to a conference room and I was told I would be given six 30-minute 1-on-1 interviews from managers and potential coworkers. The interviews went well although they were not technical programming interviews but all about culture fit and people skills and company processes.
    When the last of the 1-on-1 interviews ended, I was left alone in the interview room and so then I walked back to the original lady's office and asked if there was something more for my interview process. She briefly apologized and said that my interview was finished and led me to the door.
    Despite my being treated like a delivery-person who no-one knew was coming, I felt good about my interactions with the interviewers as they were all nice and asked job-relative questions.
    I did not hear back for a week and so I called into the office. I was told that they would get back to me within a few days. A week later I received a phone call with my job offer.

I was happy to get the job after a few months out of work and doing freelance jobs. So I didn't care that I was getting an entry-level position because I believed I could prove myself and get promoted.

When I started my job, things were also disorganized. I arrived and there was no desk or place for me to put my things. I attended training/orientation classes but when those completed after two weeks, I was not given orientation to my actual job/department. So I found things to work on that needed software expertise and I created my own job role and I was quickly promoted to be an Application Engineer (but I should have negotiated a large promotion).

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about why I was layed off. This was difficult because my entire department was cut and layed off (about 20 people) and so I did not have a personal reason.   View Answer
    I received a phone call with the salary offer and I called back the next day to accept the offer. I did not negotiate and I should have as I later learned that I was given a low-ball offer and despite my experience and skills I was being paid half of what my coworkers made.

Intern Interview

Phone Interview typical HR process
    In person Interview four different interviewers all asking fairly simple technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • A number of brain teasers, but nothing that was too difficult to answer during the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I jumped around with 8 different interviewers ranging from head of department to potential office mates. Each person had their own questions but after a while they were all the same. It would have been better if they all had pulled questions from the same pile or been in the same room to ask the question to avoid me repeating myself 10 times. But that was no problem.

I find that people there like to talk about themselves, so keep your mouth shut and listen to them ramble for 30 minutes until their time is up. HOWEVER, when asked if you have a question -- be prepared to shoot some great questions at the interviewer. Nothing impresses them more than someone who is prepared to ask smart questions. The worst thing is sitting there like a rock saying "nope, no questions". Even if you have to ask the same question over and over -- do it. Compare the answers to determine if the organization as a whole are all on the same page.

Interview Questions
    • Given 9 balls with one not equal to the rest and a balancing scale what is the lowest number of times you'd use the scale to determine the heaviest ball? What is the highest? How many times would it take you to do it?   View Answer

Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at RightNow Technologies in September 2011.

This has got to be the most disorganized company I have ever encountered. I had an in-person interview with the hiring manager who was immediately impressed with my qualifications. He then wanted to fly me to their HQ in Bozeman, MT to meet with the rest of the team, and put me in touch with HR.

HR then suddenly stated that it was too expensive to fly me to Bozeman at this last minute and instead scheduled a series of phone interviews with some senior execs. There were 3 phone interviews lasting over two weeks. And then I didn't hear from them for a long time. These phone interviews simply consisted of them going over my experience and asking how it fits with the role they were hiring for.

About a month and a half later, I suddenly heard from them saying that one of their VPs from Montana was in town and if I could meet with him. I met with the person and then they scheduled me with a phone interview with the person's boss.

I thought that this would be the final step in the process, but no! Lo and behold, they has the urge to once again fly me to Montana. They followed through with their commitment this time and I was scheduled to meet with a series of people, including those I had spoken with over the phone.

On the day of the interview, two of the folks canceled and I ended up meeting in person with the very same people that I spoke with over the phone. Then, one of the people who canceled suddenly had time for a brief chat, and after 15 mins, he kicked me out because his coworker who had scheduled a meeting with him arrived.

In the meantime, I received an offer from another company and asked them what their decision was. They replied stating that they were unable to make a decision at this point in time.

My overall perceptions of RighNow (I should call them RightNotNow!) was that the company is rife with politics, is extremely disorganized and experiences a lot of turnover, and constant reorgs. Oracle, which has acquired them has their hands full in bringing some kind of order to this chaos!

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see RightNow fitting into the Customer Experience market?   Answer Question
    • How can RightNow compete with salesforce.com?   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at RightNow Technologies in October 2011.

Received a call from a recruiter which went well. She outlined the job and what intangibles Right Now is looking for in a BDR. The recruiter set me up with a phone interview with the Director of Bus Dev and that went well. The director brought me in for an interview a week later. Their San Mateo office is in a suite bldg so they don't own any property(lack of expansion). The director was nice and the interview was informal as we talked about the job. The director claimed she like athletes since they are competitors. Found out up p to Bozeman , MT(HQ) for your training(not exciting). Overall the interview went real well and I was confident I would be selected for the position.

She called me a week later to tell me I did not receive the position. At that point I had already accepted another job so it did not matter as I would have turned the offer down. Base Pay is 40k which is not bad but 45-50k base is the mkt rate in the bay area,ca.
    Overall RightNow seems like a solid company. Only thing I would suggest is a more competitive base salary.

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at RightNow Technologies in November 2010.

I applied for a BDR position at RightNow out of the Reston, VA. My first interview was over the phone (basic qualifications) then had to wait three weeks for the BDR manager to make it out to Reston to interview me in person. My first on-site interview consisted of two hour long interviews after they were completed I was sent on my way. The following day I reached out to them and one of the two managers that interviewed me invited me back for the second round of interviews. Exactly a week later I was back in the Reston office and interviewed with three more people for about 40 minutes each. After those interviews were completed and 4 out of 5 people that I interviewed with stated that I would be a great fit for the position, I was contacted and told that I had two more people they would like me to interview with.

The following Monday I scheduled a call where an existing account executive with the company did a role play excercise with me where I sold him the product I was selling in my most recent position. He stated that I did excellent and that I would make a great fit for the team. The next day I received an email from the BDR manager stating that I would not get the job.

This company is arrogant and disrespectful to anyone applying for a position. Not only did I invest two months and the time to interview with 7 people for over 40 minutes each, I did not even get a phone call.

I am not upset about not getting the offer, however I was extremely upset that they didn't even have the courtesy to give me a call.

Very poor, very sloppy, completely unprofessional, and this particular BDR manager (director of global business development) is a coward with no backbone and no sense of what it means to be a professional.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at RightNow Technologies in April 2010.

The company has a very detailed questionnaire about your current position and your performance.

Interview Questions
    • If you were presented with a list of requirements for an HTML site, would you be able to create the site?   Answer Question
    • Describe your typical day and what would you say is challenging about your day.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bozeman, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at RightNow Technologies in February 2009.

1. Questions on my current profile.
    2. Questions on anything special I had done in the last two years.
    3. How did my experience apply to the opening.
    4. Reason for looking out for another job.

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience apply to the opening.   View Answer

Project Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at RightNow Technologies.

The entire interview process took about four months. They was not a lot of organization to this. I went to the office three different times to interview. The first two times, the people I was supposed to meet were not there that day. After meeting everyone, it took another month to coordinate a meeting with their executives from Bozeman MT.

Interview Questions
    • What steps would you use in managing a project.   View Answer

I had another offer

Worked for RightNow Technologies? Contribute to the Community!