Rincon Research Corporation

Relevance Date Difficulty

Signal Processing Engineer Interview

Signal Processing Engineer
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation in December 2010.

Interview Details – Job interview at Rincon Research is demanding. I first applied on line. Then they scheduled phone interview which took about 1 hour. At the end of the phone interview, they wanted me to write C code (correlation of two arrays) which I emailed them as soon as possible. If you pass theses, then they invite you for all day interview with 6 different engineers and 2 HR people. They take you out to lunch. The onsite interview took from 8-3:30 with one hour lunch break. Interview questions were based on my resume. They want you talk more about your resume than what you already wrote down; they want to see you really know the material you claim to know. Then they will ask you a bunch of small non-engineering questions to see how sharp you are. So, for these tricky questions research on interview questions and answers for google job. It seemed they knew answers to these tricky questions only because they found them from a book or on line. One lady who is a high manager there was disrespectful trying to diminish the previous achievements highlighted on my resume. During lunch, one very young engineer was somewhat annoying by repeating same questions over and over. I did not understand what his point was after answering his questions multiple times. Maybe it is part of their behavioral interview. During the lunch they will keep asking you all the time, so it is not really a normal lunch. I had several friends already working at Rincon and they say it is okay place, nothing spectacular depending on what you want as career. They have benefits I never heard of. They never lose over time; it all counts toward your time off, so you can end up having months of available time off and take it. Other engineers I had the interview with were nice and seem smart.

Interview Question – many questions were asked; probably all together over hundred from technical to almost personal   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process (after the initial meeting with HR) began with the company president and continued with a series of individual interviews every 45 minutes, with an opportunity for more conversation over lunch. I finished at 3:30 and then filled out paperwork.

Everyone I interviewed with seemed to really like working at Rincon, and I came away pretty excited about the place. The company is being bought over time from the founder, who still contributes to the company.

I appreciated the opportunity to talk with the president and he shared ways he felt the company needed to grow in the near future.

Interview Question – I had to write a software algorithm on the whiteboard. Not what I expected. I was a little rusty   Answer Question

DSP/Communication Systems Engineer Interview

DSP/Communication Systems Engineer
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation.

Interview Details – Submitted resume on line and in approximately 2 weeks got a phone call. Phone interview was technical with about 15 general DSP questions. At the end of the interview, I had to write quick C code that does convolution of two arrays and email it to them asap. In several weeks, I had about 8 interviews (6 technical, 2 HR) and lunch provided. They asked many small technical questions, some were based on the listed experience on the resume, and some from general engineering knowledge. Questions were ranging from specific DSP algorithms to how to design radio which can change all scan frequencies at same time. Several interviewers seemed to have their questions prepared just before the interview, because it was obvious neither you nor them would need it to do real job.
All interviewers were nice except one who was pointing anything you might not know. She was not asking specific technical questions, she was just saying "You dont know this, you dont know that” and making a list out of it without giving me a chance to respond. She was almost at point of being rude or unprofessional least to say because no one can know everything. When she said she would be my manager if hired it severely lowered the positive impression the other interviewers left on me. Overall, I think the people at Rincon are smart and good to work with. They have very good benefits.

Interview Question – Explain OFDM, Viterbi algorithm, Write Linked List algorithm in C on board...   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation in August 2011.

Interview Details – One 30 minute interview over the phone, and then I was invited for an interview on-site. Everyone was very nice at Rincon. They all dressed unexpectedly casual for a defense contractor.

The interviews were one-on-one with perhaps six different engineers. One asked about how to solve a simple problem with an algorithm, and another asked how one could represent the numerical days of the month using two six-sided dice.

The HR person ended the day, asking how much I wanted to earn. When I responded with what I was currently being paid, he briefly choked - telling me this was far more than expected. This was just after telling me that Rincon was competitive with east coast defense salaries. Apparently, untrue.

Reason for Declining – Salary was too low.

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Tucson, AZ

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation in December 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online based on a recommendation from a friend. About 2 weeks later, I received a phone call, which was a phone interview from the department manager. The discussion was open and genial. I was scheduled for an on-site interview about a week later with about 8, 30 minute interviews with 1 or 2 people each, including lunch. I spent from 8 am until 3 pm there. Most of the interviews were technical problems I had to solve on the board. I recommend the book Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job. Every question I was given is covered in this book, which I unfortunately read too late. The company has many women in technical and management jobs. The dress was very casual (jeans and flip-flops, even). The benefits are the best I have ever heard of - almost unbelievably generous. The employees are smart (many PhDs) and enthusiastic about their jobs. Everyone was friendly and reasonable (except for one person who was confrontational). I think it would have been a great place to work. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer. I took off some years for family reasons, and this company did not seem willing to give me extra time to catch back up, which seems common these days.

Interview Question – Linked list questions   View Answer

Software Engineering Position Interview

Software Engineering Position
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation in September 2011.

Interview Details – Originally, after submitting my resume online, after a long delay, I was contacted by someone to take a phone interview and online code test. After this portion of the interview, I was contacted to have a day-long in person interview with many hiring managers and others, doing more coding and other technical questions on a white board. Even the lunch was an interrogation. Many of the coding questions were tricky if you didn't immediately find the "catch" to the question.

Interview Question – What are design patterns, give examples of how you would use them.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation in December 2009.

Interview Details – - Submitted resume online
- Got phone interview / screening
- Got called out for a site interview
- Had ~8, 30 minute interviews + an hour long lunch interview
- Asked all sorts of technical questions, ranging from programming to systems related
- Oftentimes, it appeared the interviewers were trying to see if I could work through a problem
- I personally thought I did really well and expected an offer
- After a week, I was told I was not going to be offered (by HR)
- I contacted one of the engineers I interviewed with and he called me back explaining to me that while I was very sharp and they concluded I could work through problems and learn new material quickly, they were looking for someone with more experience who could dive right in and not have to ramp up
- I appreciated the callback by the engineer and still keep Rincon in my list of places I would apply to if / when I get more experience and have the opportunity to do so in the future

Interview Question – Describe the process for demodulating a CDMA signal.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Rincon Research Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rincon Research Corporation interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Rincon Research Corporation employees and interview candidates.