Rincon Research Corporation Interview Questions

Updated May 1, 2015

4.2

Tracker Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

1. Submitted online application. 2. About three weeks later, got a phone call to set up a phone screen, which happened a couple days after that. 3. About a week after the phone screen, got a phone call to set up an interview, which happened about a week after that. 4. Interview was from 8:30 to about 2:30 which included one-on-one sessions with 8 different people (1 HR, 1 VP, 6 technical). They also took me to lunch.

Interview Questions

• Over the course of the technical interviews, they touched on almost everything I had listed as a technical skill on my resume and asked enough questions to verify whether I truly had a solid understanding/skill in that area or not. There is a whiteboard in the interview room and I was repeatedly encouraged to use it in order to work through questions they asked. Some of the questions I remember include: Can you write pseudo-code to calculate the factorial of a number? Explain how a Kalman filter works. Can you tell me about a filter you've designed? If you were tracking an object that was constrained to stay on a grid of possible paths, how could you design your filter to ensure that your estimates stayed on those paths? What do you know about Bayesian statistics and particle filters? Can you explain how you would combine two probability distribution functions (one from your filter and one from a new measurement)? What do you know about GPS? Can you draw a block diagram of a digital communications transmit/receive chain and explain it? Why would you use OQPSK instead of regular QPSK? Are you familiar with Kepler's equations? How do you do correlation in the time domain? What are the pros/cons of doing correlation in the time domain versus frequency domain?   1 Answer

DSP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation.

Interview

Received e-mail request for a phone interview. Phone screen was completely technical. Very in-depth questions about classical DSP. Seemed more like a lecture than an interview, which was off putting and somewhat hostile. All the questions were very technical but seemed canned. Asked open-ended technical questions like how you would design a specific application to test your knowledge of algorithm trade-offs and appropriate usage. All in all, it seemed way harder than it should for an entry level position. The questioned seemed more for if this was a mid-level career interview where you should have had some serious amount of experience coming into it, not fresh out of school. From other reviews, it seems Rincon wanting to fill an entry level position with someone with way more experience and knowledge than your typical college grad but pay an entry level salary might be common (which seems unrealistic). The engineer I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable, but short (temper-wise).

Interview Questions

• Explain to me what a polyphase filter is. What HashMap is. How would you design a ...(DSP application).   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rincon Research Corporation.

Interview

Sent my resume online, two weeks later I had a phone interview with questions about general experience with no technical questions mostly getting to know you. Two weeks later I got information about a flight to Tucson for an in person interview. The interview was pretty intense.

Interview Questions

• Almost every question was difficult and varying in disciplines.   Answer Question

Research Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in October 2014.

Interview

While I applied for a Research Software Engineer job post, both I and the company were more interested in my working in a problem solving research position, possibly utilizing my broad background in physics research. So the software questions asked me were rather simple (in case the interviewers are reading this and shaking their heads: I flounder on simple questions as much as hard ones, due to over-thinking) However, I was asked a nice thought inducing question about special relativity, which is probably atypical of a software person interview. I enjoyed the interview process. No nonsense, after HR and the VP, it was people telling me technically related things and what they do (I got a nice lesson on communication theory), and then asking me something to see how I thought through things (not necessarily related to what they were talking about). The people interviewing you are extremely varied and interesting. For example, there is a wizard with impossibly white, impossibly soft/cotton-y hair and beard. They said I would be tired after all the interviews. I wasn't. I was really mentally energized. The only negative aspect was that I had worked hard to prepare a talk, and I never got to show my talk.

Interview Questions

• I'm not giving away the very best questions prepared by the people here. Those questions would be hard to replace. Here's one that was not planned: I had drawn some birefringent stuff on the board for one interviewer (explaining my past research) and the next interviewer saw it and asked if the atmosphere could be birefringent.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in July 2014.

Interview

Initially contacted by Vice President for Program Manager consideration. Was scheduled for interview a week later. HR rep made the arrangements. Interview was first a HR benefit overview, Organizational overview by VP, one on one interviews, a very grilling lunch interview with 3 company reps, more one on one interviews.

Interview Questions

• Your program is 30% cost overrun and 30% schedule overrun. Company experts say they are working as hard as they can and hiring new personnel will not help. What do you do? Suggest answer seemed to be Manage the Customer. Technical questions on sampling theory: Nyquist, fourier transforms and aliasing of a 8 MHz signal modulated on a 10 GHZ carrier. Joint probability questions. Geolocation schemes using time of arrival and frequency doppler shift to get lat long and elevation.   2 Answers

DSP/Communication Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Submitted resume on line and in approximately 2 weeks got a phone call. Phone interview was technical with about 15 general DSP questions. At the end of the interview, I had to write quick C code that does convolution of two arrays and email it to them asap. In several weeks, I had about 8 interviews (6 technical, 2 HR) and lunch provided. They asked many small technical questions, some were based on the listed experience on the resume, and some from general engineering knowledge. Questions were ranging from specific DSP algorithms to how to design radio which can change all scan frequencies at same time. Several interviewers seemed to have their questions prepared just before the interview, because it was obvious neither you nor them would need it to do real job. All interviewers were nice except one who was pointing anything you might not know. She was not asking specific technical questions, she was just saying "You dont know this, you dont know that” and making a list out of it without giving me a chance to respond. She was almost at point of being rude or unprofessional least to say because no one can know everything. When she said she would be my manager if hired it severely lowered the positive impression the other interviewers left on me. Overall, I think the people at Rincon are smart and good to work with. They have very good benefits.

Interview Questions

• Explain OFDM, Viterbi algorithm, Write Linked List algorithm in C on board...   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in December 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume online based on a recommendation from a friend. About 2 weeks later, I received a phone call, which was a phone interview from the department manager. The discussion was open and genial. I was scheduled for an on-site interview about a week later with about 8, 30 minute interviews with 1 or 2 people each, including lunch. I spent from 8 am until 3 pm there. Most of the interviews were technical problems I had to solve on the board. I recommend the book Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job. Every question I was given is covered in this book, which I unfortunately read too late. The company has many women in technical and management jobs. The dress was very casual (jeans and flip-flops, even). The benefits are the best I have ever heard of - almost unbelievably generous. The employees are smart (many PhDs) and enthusiastic about their jobs. Everyone was friendly and reasonable (except for one person who was confrontational). I think it would have been a great place to work. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer. I took off some years for family reasons, and this company did not seem willing to give me extra time to catch back up, which seems common these days.

Software Engineering Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in September 2011.

Interview

Originally, after submitting my resume online, after a long delay, I was contacted by someone to take a phone interview and online code test. After this portion of the interview, I was contacted to have a day-long in person interview with many hiring managers and others, doing more coding and other technical questions on a white board. Even the lunch was an interrogation. Many of the coding questions were tricky if you didn't immediately find the "catch" to the question.

Interview Questions

• What are design patterns, give examples of how you would use them.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in August 2011.

Interview

One 30 minute interview over the phone, and then I was invited for an interview on-site. Everyone was very nice at Rincon. They all dressed unexpectedly casual for a defense contractor. The interviews were one-on-one with perhaps six different engineers. One asked about how to solve a simple problem with an algorithm, and another asked how one could represent the numerical days of the month using two six-sided dice. The HR person ended the day, asking how much I wanted to earn. When I responded with what I was currently being paid, he briefly choked - telling me this was far more than expected. This was just after telling me that Rincon was competitive with east coast defense salaries. Apparently, untrue.

Salary was too low.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Rincon Research Corporation (Tucson, AZ) in July 2011.

Interview

The interview process (after the initial meeting with HR) began with the company president and continued with a series of individual interviews every 45 minutes, with an opportunity for more conversation over lunch. I finished at 3:30 and then filled out paperwork. Everyone I interviewed with seemed to really like working at Rincon, and I came away pretty excited about the place. The company is being bought over time from the founder, who still contributes to the company. I appreciated the opportunity to talk with the president and he shared ways he felt the company needed to grow in the near future.

Interview Questions

• I had to write a software algorithm on the whiteboard. Not what I expected. I was a little rusty   Answer Question