Rio Tinto Alcan Interview Questions

Continuous Improvement Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robards, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robards, KY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan in February 2012.

First interview is on-site. With mid level managers. Typical behavior based questions. Easy interview. Second interview is on-site with members of plant leadership team. They asked stupid questions in terms of "what if". They looked for problem solving capabilities but I think got stuck on too many details on there end. HR manager was asked what she liked about the company and said benefits - if that is one of the only things you can mention and you can not mention the people as the HR manager, you got problems. Seemed to me the plant manager ruled by fear and read into this as a guy who was the maintenance manager did not have any formal education - came from the floor. Plant manager also mentioned the culture was to micro manage the complainers and treat the top performers well. Seems like you got a lot of complainers that need to be let go, but you are too afraid to do that. I didn't think it was good fit for my personal work style.

Interview Questions

I would never work for a stuck up plant manager - regardless of the attractive pay. If they treat someone like me the way they did during an interview, I'd hate to see how they treat their employees.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebree, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebree, KY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan in June 2011.

Very open. Team based

Open, direct, concise

Scholarship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan.

Phone interview, very brief

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose *** University to do Mechanical Engineering? What sort of scholarships have you held before?   Answer Question

Site Support Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan.

Phone interview x 2
    Site Visit

Interview Questions
    • Place emphasis on why you want to live remotely and in Gove specifically.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan.

After receiving an email to complete 5 online exams which took 2 and a half hours, I was also required to do an online video interview which was quite weird. A month went by after the online interview and I hadn't heard from anyone so I emailed the HR person I was dealing with and he could barely write back a coherent sentence saying that if I'm needed I will be called.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan in April 2012.

One interview with manager and director of the department. Standard questions, nothing really out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • No question was difficult or unexpected. Standard interview process.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan in December 2010.

1 hr person and the future boss. Very polite and professional.

Interview Questions
    It was fair, but took a while. Had to get a security check done first plus a physical exam.