Rio Tinto Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Mining Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rio Tinto in March 2014.

Apply online and phone interview after 2 days

Interview Questions
    • She ask about my background experiences and why they should give me this position   Answer Question

New Graduates - Contracts Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Online test followed by video interview and more online tests. The tests assess your management skills/personality as well as your ability to read and do basic algebraic math. Also appeared to be testing for IQ. The video interview was very basic run of the mill questions. Overall the process went fairly quickly for me.

Corporate IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Rio Tinto in January 2014.

Applied, contacted by hr, interviewed, offer, background

Most intense physical exam it included - blood test, urine test, hair sample, EKG, chest X-ray, eye exam, color eye exam, hearing test, full physical by doctor - I was at clinic for 3 hours

Small neg, not allot of room

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through other source. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Very long process.

Interview Questions
    • Safety share - be sure you have an answer to a safety situation you've experienced.   Answer Question
    No negotiating.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Rio Tinto in February 2013.

1. Received an invitation for interview via HireVue, which is an online platform where you will have record yourself answering questions. Standard interview questions. 16 in total, 3 min each.
    2. Three days later, received a call for an on site interview. Had a 4-member panel interview, which was more like a chat than an interview. Was asked basic behavioural questions. However, had to start with a talk for 2 minutes about a safety aspect. Also had to explain my capstone project to the HR person in layman's terms.
    3. Had lunch with one of the interviewer and two other engineers.
    4. Taken to a plant tour.
    5. I was also given a real estate agent who took me around the city and showed me around. It was very helpful when it come to the offer accepting decision.

Interview Questions
    I was given a very good deal. So there was not much to negotiate.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rio Tinto in October 2010.

Had an initial interview at my college.. After 2-3 weeks got a call for onsite interview. Interview was of panel type with 4/5 members.. Basic HR questions followed by tour of company.. took nearly a month for the decision.. i have no idea why they didn't offer..

Interview Questions
    • Describe your personality.. What are the safety measurements you undertake while working in a lab..   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 10 months - interviewed at Rio Tinto in February 2011.

The process took from Feb - October.

It started with the standard online testing. Patterns, numerical test, and worded situations. After this there was a phone screen. This was pretty basic asking about leadership and experiences.

After a long wait there was an assessment centre. This consisted of a one on one interview, group activity (moving some blocks with lots of rules to follow) it's more about your group interaction than actual performance, an unprepared oral presentation on a list of their topics.

After this i had a one on one interview with the person hiring me.

After that i had a days site visit to meet the team

and only after that was i presented an offer.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation power. The salary and conditions are set for a graduate.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Rio Tinto in November 2012.

long process. The skill tests were less structured with interviewers jump around asking questions.
    Best strategy: stay calm and dance with wolfs, and you will be alright. Important to ask interviewers why this position is available now? what are the main challenges for the role.

Interview Questions
    • a spreadsheet model was presented, and was asked to do some optimisation. The interviewers thought they knew optimisation, but the way questions were asked was very interesting.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, band based.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Rio Tinto.

I initially applied online and when I received a phone call with HR telling me I had advanced to the next stage I had actually forgotten what the job was as it had been so long since I applied (from memory around a month). I had a phone chat with HR and was given an interview date. I was interviewed by HR and two non HR employees. The interview process was well structured and contained the standard questions, i.e. think of a time you showed this skill etc. I did not hear from them for a short while (maybe 3 weeks) and then I was told I was going to the next stage which was a background check. I provided more details and did not hear back from them for another 3 weeks. The whole process was over 3 months. This length of time could be the difference between the company getting their favoured employee or not.

Interview Questions
    • The more difficult questions are where you are required to talk about your weaknesses as there is a fine line between revealing too much and risking not getting the job or revealing none and coming off as arrogant.   View Answer
    I was asked what my salary expectations were and the letter of offer came in higher than my expectations and thus went my negotiating power. I was offered another role at another company and asked if there was any room to move in the salary and their response was no. I accepted the role based on the company and the benefits were somewhat the same with their competitor anyway.

Mechanical Co-Op Interview

Pretty straight forward interview. They asked about previous work experience, what I knew about the company and the location that I was applying to work at, why I wanted the job and a few questions specifically related to my experience with some of the mechanical equipment on site. Initial interview was followed up with pyschometric testing.

Interview Questions
    • Psychometric testing was involved after the initial interview   Answer Question

Worked for Rio Tinto? Contribute to the Community!