Rio Tinto Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015
Updated Apr 11, 2015

3.1

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

I was presented by an outside recruiter. The interview was a 6 person panel. All the panel members were pleasant and professional. The process took about 4 weeks before an offer was made. The background check and physical were extensive. The physical took about 2 hours and was a bit excessive for an office position.

Interview Questions

• Trying to understand some of the technical mining jargon that was used in some of the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy negotiations.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

Online test followed by video interview and more online tests. The tests assess your management skills/personality as well as your ability to read and do basic algebraic math. Also appeared to be testing for IQ. The video interview was very basic run of the mill questions. Overall the process went fairly quickly for me.

Mining Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2014.

Interview

Apply online and phone interview after 2 days

Interview Questions

• She ask about my background experiences and why they should give me this position   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Very long process.

Interview Questions

• Safety share - be sure you have an answer to a safety situation you've experienced.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating.

Corporate IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied, contacted by hr, interviewed, offer, background

Most intense physical exam it included - blood test, urine test, hair sample, EKG, chest X-ray, eye exam, color eye exam, hearing test, full physical by doctor - I was at clinic for 3 hours

Negotiation

Small neg, not allot of room

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2013.

Interview

1. Received an invitation for interview via HireVue, which is an online platform where you will have record yourself answering questions. Standard interview questions. 16 in total, 3 min each.
    2. Three days later, received a call for an on site interview. Had a 4-member panel interview, which was more like a chat than an interview. Was asked basic behavioural questions. However, had to start with a talk for 2 minutes about a safety aspect. Also had to explain my capstone project to the HR person in layman's terms.
    3. Had lunch with one of the interviewer and two other engineers.
    4. Taken to a plant tour.
    5. I was also given a real estate agent who took me around the city and showed me around. It was very helpful when it come to the offer accepting decision.

Interview Questions

• Give us a talk on a safety related issue.   1 Answer
    • Describe your capstone project in a layman's terms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given a very good deal. So there was not much to negotiate.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2010.

Interview

Had an initial interview at my college.. After 2-3 weeks got a call for onsite interview. Interview was of panel type with 4/5 members.. Basic HR questions followed by tour of company.. took nearly a month for the decision.. i have no idea why they didn't offer..

Interview Questions

• Describe your personality.. What are the safety measurements you undertake while working in a lab..   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

Through a Recruitmen agency they called me a couple of weeks after applied but the whole process took about three months... that was in 2010..long time ago that probably changed already.

Interview Questions

• Normal stuff,, about yourself, technical and safety related questions   1 Answer

Geologist (Technology and Development) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Rio Tinto (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2015.

Interview

One HR lady, two managers, one from the group I'd be in and one from a closely related group. It was 45min max, a mix of behavioural questions and technical questions--the technical questions were sourced mainly from my PhD research, which was highly related to the job role. Two separate questions on safety asking for examples of safety from previous jobs (my role includes field based components so this is very important to them). I skipped some of the up front process Rio typically has (eg phone interview, etc) as I was directly referred to the manager by a friend.

Interview Questions

• Example of safety issue you've encountered AND example of when you've made a safety decision
      Example of a time you've been in conflict
      Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?
      Do you prefer exploration to the lab
      Several other behavioural questions I can't quite remember now...
      The technical questions were very tailored to me, I don't think they'd apply to anyone else

Answer Question

Mechanical Maintainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rio Tinto (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in September 2014.

Interview

Online application, waited a month, contacted by phone and asked if I wanted to progress. Confirmed I wanted to, waited another three weeks and then was sent online aptitude and psych testing through Chandler MacLeod to my email. Completed testing and waited another three weeks. Was contacted and asked to attend an in person assesment centre in Perth. This consisted of a three part interview with 20 other people going for the same job. Stage one: Split up into groups of 4 and had to complete a scenario as a group. Its always different but its not important what the task is, its important how you interact with the others in your group so they can see how you will preform in a team environment.
    Stage two: Behavioural interview. Standard one on one interview with a supervisor
    Stage three: Technical interview same as above
    Three weeks later I was asked to contact a company called Verify, who preform police clearance and other validation information collections, and was then contacted by phone and asked to have a full functional medical and was informed that this was NOT a guarantee of a job offer. Twenty days later I was contacted and offered the job

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflict in the work place   1 Answer
    • How do you manage targets and goals and manage time   1 Answer
    • If you had to replace a conveyor drive roller, how would you do it and how would you make sure it is aligned properly   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't one