Riot Games

Updated Aug 30, 2014
Updated Aug 30, 2014

3.2

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Riot Games in February 2014.

I contacted Riot and got interview around 2 - 3 weeks later in February. First, they gave me an online test about everything related to my position, that was hard to finish in an hour.

Then I got first round phone interview from a manager, which was just about culture fit. The conversation was very casual and even asked my about my favorite champion.

Then I went into the second round interview about technical skills. Questions are not too hard but interesting to answer. Even through I answered one question wrong, I still got into the onsite in the mid of March.

Onsite was a very long process for the whole day. We played LoL and then went through 4 small individual interviews. I met most of my future teammates there. The total process is really smooth and interesting. Rioters are really friendly and they know you can be nervous for this long onsite. Everything went well.

Technical Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Riot Games.

This was a very long process. I went through 7 phone interviews before I was invited on-site. There was some confusion as to what role was best suited for me since I had a wide array of skills. The interview process seems very unstructured and each interviewer sort of "wings it" and asks what they want. None of the phone interviews are particularly challenging but the interviewers put a lot of emphasis on what you intuitively know.

The on-site interview is a mix of behavioral and technical. The technical questions weren't very difficult and the interviewers simply want to get a handle on what you've done previously and if the experience is translatable. The main focus is a "pitch" you have to do for two Directors at Riot. You will be given little guidance and simply told to pitch a product vision and how you would execute upon that vision. They seem to be in a phase where their preference is for seasoned veterans in the gaming industry and if you're coming from a different industry, it would behoove you to do some additional research. There are no bonus points given for asking the right questions. Also, I would advise against pitching anything too specific because it will open you up to conflicts with their internal initiatives. If possible, try and learn what these are before you go on-site. Finally, get a good sense of what their staffing is like in terms of engineering capabilities and personnel allocation. You will be asked specifically what sort of team you will need. Looking back, I would have asked previous interviewers these types of questions in the Q&A.

My biggest mistake was picking a product idea that did not mesh with current initiatives, was mired in technical detail (due to the nature of the product), and not having a detailed plan (because I came in with too many questions about how Riot prioritizes, what other projects are in pipeline, internal metrics of the problem, resource allocation, etc.).

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you are a newly minted product owner with no team. How would you execute on your product vision?   Answer Question

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Riot Games.

This was an 8 hour interview that consisted of a lot of questions about the exact ways in which one interviews candidates, finds people, and does their job on a daily. The questions are asked by people outside of HR/Recruiting so it's not easy to relate. They are very much so looking for people within their world and if they will scale they will need to be open to people with relatable experience.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Riot Games in June 2014.

Applied Online, One Interview through the phone, didnt get through. Basically you apply online submit all the documents and answer all the relevant questions, after that theyll contact you through email for a phone interview and then after that face to face, pretty cool

Event Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Riot Games in December 2012.

Initial screening is a 120 question standardized test that is timed. You have to work quickly to have any hopes of finishing. Most of the questions were math related.

First phone screening was essentially a check to make sure you aren't socially challenged.

Second phone interview was very in depth about event experience and what I thought about past events as well as what I would do to improve future events. Was supposed to be a 2:1 and turned into two 1:1s, which resulted in many similar questions being asked.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to make Season 4 World Championship better than Season 3 World Championship?   View Answer

QA Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2012.

I went through several weeks of interviews as well as an onsite, ultimately I did not get the job. About six months later I got an email from the QA guys I spoke with earlier and we started the process again - this time via skype. After many more interviews I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How much should you interact with the public/fans of the game?   View Answer
    A few emails and phone calls to determine what I made previously, as well as how much it would take to get me to accept an offer so far from my home.

QA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Riot Games in April 2014.

The recruiters were great, they provided helpful tips. The process took several weeks from initial contact to on-site interview. The people were great and the culture sounded awesome. I didn't get the offer (I was fine with this, it's important to find the right people) however, their final assessment as to why made little sense.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the differences between Software as a Service vs Traditional titles (ship it and forget it)   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Riot Games in February 2014.

Process was very involved. The largest part of the process was ensuring that you fit the Riot Games culture. If you are not a gamer, you are not fit for the job. My experience included 4 phone interviews and an on-site interview. The on-site was several panels over the course of the day. The panels were a mix of culture and tech questions. You have to fit in and you have to know your stuff. After the interviews, there is a very long process of being vetted internally. It will take a long time and it will be very stressful. But hang in there and if you are chosen, things will be OK.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

I was reached out to by a non-recruiter after a project I created was noticed by one of Riot's internal teams. Total process took about 2 and a half weeks.

Began with an informal email back and forth to determine my interest in the company and potential positions — followed by two phone interviews. The first was with my potential hiring manager, the second was with a lead on the same design team. The interviews included both technical (skillset, how I've dealt with specific problems in the past, team cohesiveness) and non-technical questions (such as culture, personality, my background as a gamer and League of Legends).

After the two phone interviews I was invited for an on-site interview in Los Angeles for the following week.

The on-site was a full day from 10am until around 7pm. It included interviews with design stakeholders, leads on several of their other teams, VP's and a design challenge. The interviews individually ranged from informal and culture based to very technical (be prepared to answer very specific and direct questions about your methods, philosophy and process). The design challenge was tailored specifically to League of Legends and was different than most typical tech company design challenges.

There was one final phone interview two days after the on-site with a Director of the design program. It was basically asking any final questions, checking cultural fit and asking for general salary / benefits requirements.

Offer package was made the following day by the hiring manager.

Very important thing to note: If you are a gamer, be prepared to talk about it at length and have an opinion. If you're not a gamer, play League of Legends before you go for an on-site or even your second phone interview. Being active in the game and having an understanding of the community is extremely important. The company practices what it preaches when it comes to being player focused.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for anything, I can't reveal specifically what was asked but there is a huge range possible.   Answer Question
    The offered was very competitive and negotiation was not necessary.

Lead Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

interviewed at Riot Games in April 2012.

The called me in and gave me an interview. I talked to them about what I wanted to do, when I wanted to work, and how I like to work.

I accepted.

Worked for Riot Games? Contribute to the Community!