Riot Games

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Riot Games in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online, One Interview through the phone, didnt get through. Basically you apply online submit all the documents and answer all the relevant questions, after that theyll contact you through email for a phone interview and then after that face to face, pretty cool

Interview Question – What is your greatest achievement?   View Answer

Event Coordinator Interview

Event Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Riot Games in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initial screening is a 120 question standardized test that is timed. You have to work quickly to have any hopes of finishing. Most of the questions were math related.

First phone screening was essentially a check to make sure you aren't socially challenged.

Second phone interview was very in depth about event experience and what I thought about past events as well as what I would do to improve future events. Was supposed to be a 2:1 and turned into two 1:1s, which resulted in many similar questions being asked.

Interview Question – What would you do to make Season 4 World Championship better than Season 3 World Championship?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

QA Leadership Interview

QA Leadership
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2012.

Interview Details – I went through several weeks of interviews as well as an onsite, ultimately I did not get the job. About six months later I got an email from the QA guys I spoke with earlier and we started the process again - this time via skype. After many more interviews I was given an offer.

Interview Question – How much should you interact with the public/fans of the game?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – A few emails and phone calls to determine what I made previously, as well as how much it would take to get me to accept an offer so far from my home.

QA Manager Interview

QA Manager
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Riot Games in April 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiters were great, they provided helpful tips. The process took several weeks from initial contact to on-site interview. The people were great and the culture sounded awesome. I didn't get the offer (I was fine with this, it's important to find the right people) however, their final assessment as to why made little sense.

Interview Question – Describe the differences between Software as a Service vs Traditional titles (ship it and forget it)   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Riot Games in February 2014.

Interview Details – Process was very involved. The largest part of the process was ensuring that you fit the Riot Games culture. If you are not a gamer, you are not fit for the job. My experience included 4 phone interviews and an on-site interview. The on-site was several panels over the course of the day. The panels were a mix of culture and tech questions. You have to fit in and you have to know your stuff. After the interviews, there is a very long process of being vetted internally. It will take a long time and it will be very stressful. But hang in there and if you are chosen, things will be OK.

Interview Question – Design a machine that will make M&Ms.   View Answer

Lead Game Designer Interview

Lead Game Designer
Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed at Riot Games in April 2012.

Interview Details – The called me in and gave me an interview. I talked to them about what I wanted to do, when I wanted to work, and how I like to work.

Interview Question – Where do I see my self in years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted.

Designer Interview

Designer
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was reached out to by a non-recruiter after a project I created was noticed by one of Riot's internal teams. Total process took about 2 and a half weeks.

Began with an informal email back and forth to determine my interest in the company and potential positions — followed by two phone interviews. The first was with my potential hiring manager, the second was with a lead on the same design team. The interviews included both technical (skillset, how I've dealt with specific problems in the past, team cohesiveness) and non-technical questions (such as culture, personality, my background as a gamer and League of Legends).

After the two phone interviews I was invited for an on-site interview in Los Angeles for the following week.

The on-site was a full day from 10am until around 7pm. It included interviews with design stakeholders, leads on several of their other teams, VP's and a design challenge. The interviews individually ranged from informal and culture based to very technical (be prepared to answer very specific and direct questions about your methods, philosophy and process). The design challenge was tailored specifically to League of Legends and was different than most typical tech company design challenges.

There was one final phone interview two days after the on-site with a Director of the design program. It was basically asking any final questions, checking cultural fit and asking for general salary / benefits requirements.

Offer package was made the following day by the hiring manager.

Very important thing to note: If you are a gamer, be prepared to talk about it at length and have an opinion. If you're not a gamer, play League of Legends before you go for an on-site or even your second phone interview. Being active in the game and having an understanding of the community is extremely important. The company practices what it preaches when it comes to being player focused.

Interview Question – Be prepared for anything, I can't reveal specifically what was asked but there is a huge range possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offered was very competitive and negotiation was not necessary.

Data Science Intern Interview

Data Science Intern
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Interview Details – Talked to an employee at a Riot-hosted event at my college, who referred me to a company employee with whom I could talk about my potential involvement in the company. After speaking with him about my work an interests, he recommended I apply during the official internship process later that year.

When the intern applications opened, I submitted my app, which simply included my resume and a free-response cover letter. After a couple months (right in line with the stated response timeline), I received an email stating that I had been selected for the first round of interviews, and asking to schedule a time.

The first interview was a phone interview with a Data Science lead analyst, and ended up being a mix of technical and personal questions. The second interview was conducted via Skype with two Data Science researchers, one of whom was the person I had spoken with on the phone a few months earlier, and was way more technical. Finally, I was flown out to Santa Monica to visit Riot Games headquarters and have my third round of interviews, which were in person.

The day began with a tour of the offices, Q&A about the employees and process, and of course a couple games of League of Legends. I then began my interviews, each of which was with one or more people on the Data Science team, and each of which lasted for about an hour. The first one was more personal, touching on my background and experience, as well as how and why I thought I would be a good fit. The second was way more technical, and included programming challenges (which were fairly typical for a Computer Science interview) and a couple of more specific 'situational' problems - they would describe a data science problem to see how I would approach it, even though there was no strict right or wrong answer. They also discussed my previous work in the area. The final interview seemed to be looking at how I would do in a workplace environment, with questions about interpersonal relations and communication ability, as well as some technical questions towards the end.

Interview Question – At what point do you think we should stop investing in League of Legends?   Answer Question

Web Technology Intern Interview

Web Technology Intern
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview Details – Applied through http://www.riotgames.com/careers. Interview setup was done through email throughout the entire process. There was a total of 6 interviews. Started off with a non technical phone interview, followed by a slightly more technical phone interview less than a week later. I was then asked to come on-site where I had 3 interviews, which ranged from non technical to very technical, but did not include any actual coding. 2 weeks later, another on-site was set up to meet with the Engineering managers.

Interview Question – “Imagine that you have three boxes, one containing two black marbles, one containing two white marbles, and the third, one black marble and one white marble. The boxes were labeled for their contents - BB, WW, BW - but someone has switched the labels so that every box is now incorrectly labeled. You are allowed to take one marble at a time out of any box, without looking inside, and by this process of sampling you are to determine the contents of all three boxes. What is the smallest number of drawings needed to do this?”   View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was needed. Took a week to create the offer, and was above my desired offer.

Net Ops Intern Interview

Net Ops Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Interview Details – Started with a Skype interview, followed by one phone interview. After that it was an onsite with 4 back to back interviews with 5 people. The people were all really nice, and the contact I had through HR was awesome at answering questions (I had tons).

Interview Question – If the world's oxygen delivery system was suddenly cut off and you had to come up with a replacement system, what would it be? Months later I still won't know how this should be answered :P   View Answers (2)

Worked for Riot Games? Contribute to the Community!