Riot Games

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.1

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games.

Understand that it takes a while before anything happens. My interview process before I got a VERBAL offer took 4 months (and this was rushed!) It took another 3 weeks before I got my written offer.

People come in for an interview with flip flops and a tshirt and thats perfectly fine. At Riot, they just want to get to know the person.

There were no trick questions, brain teasers, or anything like that. Everyone was very easy to talk to and most interviews were just a friendly conversation about past work experience.

The onsite interview is a long day though, so be prepared.

My interview consisted of:

A phone screen with a recruiter
    A phone screen with the hiring manager
    An all day onsite interview schedule with 2 people scheduled each hour. (including 2 people during lunch)

It was painless, the worst part of it was having to wait weeks between each interview.

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Riot Games.

I interviewed for one of the Insights Intern positions. The interview was done over Skype and the interviewers were nice (like all the other Rioters I've met). I applied in late October, interviewed in November, and got the result early December.

Interview Questions
    • Talked about my league experience, projects, stuff like that. Pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Onsite. Before onsite, 1 introductory call, 1 cultural call, 2 tech call.

70%of time on culture fit and none tech questions. 30% on technical. Technical are fairly simple/straightforward. No algorithms. Only software design concepts.
    Culture questions are ridden with seemingly friendly and simple answers but are traps. If you not careful with even a word in cultural it can be used against you. Be smart about it. They are looking for specific answers. Completely understand considering this is not a Google or tech focused software company.

QA Interview

Applied online through their website. Got declined about two weeks later, without getting an interview. However, it was a long shot due to my lack of experience so not very surprising. I probably lacked evidence that I would be a good candidate in my cover letter since I went fairly far into how I would fit in rather than why I should even be considered in the first place.

IT Frontline Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Riot Games in November 2014.

I received an e-mail from a recruiter from the company who scheduled a Skype interview. He told me I would be interviewing with two people from Riot Games who are pretty much the key people there.
    The interview jumps fairly quickly into questions in the technical support realm that most desktop support people should be able to answer, tougher questions revolving around top tier customer service, and then opinions on either.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one of your greatest accomplishment and greatest failure?
      What's your opinion on reactive and proactive desktop support?
      Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a client in desktop support?

Answer Question

Web Content Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Riot Games in November 2014.

TL; DR
    All e-mail correspondences were friendly, helpful and timely, and every Rioter was more than willing to provide and receive feedback upon request.

5 Nov: Submitted Application
    8 Nov: Response Received
    15 Nov: (Skype) Phone Interview #1 with recruiter (55 minutes)
    26 Nov: (Skype) Phone Interview #2 with hiring manager (57 minutes)
    1 Dec: (Skype) Phone Interview #3 with team member (36 minutes)
    8 Dec: Follow-up Phone Call with recruiter (10 minutes)

I applied online for a job at the Santa Monica office and heard back 3 days later to schedule my first phone interview with a recruiter. I was in South Korea, and later Hawaii, but the recruiting team was very good about working with me to firm up a time and conducted the calls via Skype audio to accommodate the out-of-country communication.

This first interview was a laid back but professional conversation discussing the position and points from my resume. Upon completing the interview, I was told that I would hear back within a week or two at the latest. I followed up by the end of the first week and was pleased to find out my next interview would be with the hiring manager, who reportedly pulled my application from the stack.

Needless to say, I was way more nervous for this second interview, and according to my interviewer’s gracious feedback it showed. The tone of the conversation fluctuated between conversational topics and deep thought-provoking career-minded questions. In the end, I felt as if I undersold some of my strengths and stifled my own enthusiasm. But despite my own critical feedback I was contacted shortly after to tentatively schedule a third interview (following the Thanksgiving weekend).

I had to reach out to my recruiting team prior to the proposed interview time to confirm who, when, and how it would be conducted, but received a timely response. The final interview was short but very informative and I really enjoyed talking with a would-be teammate and peer in a more relaxed conversation. I sent a follow-up e-mail to my recruiting team a week later and was informed the first interviewer would call me.

I'm very appreciative that they broke the news to me kindly and insisted on personally calling rather than e-mailing to tell me that the team made the tough decision to pursue another candidate. They were just as supportive as when we first talked and I was encouraged to keep communications open.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how does Riot fit in?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Applied online with a resume, cover letter, and an extra addition for Engineering Intern. After waiting roughly a month or so, got a short reply over e-mail saying I did not make it. I am currently pursuing a Computer Science degree, but maybe did not provide enough extra "wow" material to really blow them away.

ESports Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Riot Games in November 2014.

Unimpressive. I had a telephone interview with a very young, somewhat mousy but pleasant interviewer that was reading questions off a computer and typing my responses for whomever to read at later date. Never felt like I was talking to anyone that had deciding power but felt I was supposed to try and impress them nonetheless. It was pretty awkward.

Big Data Software Engineering Interview

Applied with cover letter and resume in October, heard back in about a month for a Skype interview, nontechnical. Was deemed not a good cultural fit for the company on that alone. The interviewer was friendly, be prepared to just talk about League of Legends. Some questions asked were What is your favorite champion and why? What do you think should be the priority of game bug fixes? What games do you play other than League?

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite champion and why? What do you think should be the priority of game bug fixes? What games do you play other than League?   View Answer

Concept Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games.

Riot requested me to contact them after my portfolio review at GDC. I scheduled a phone interview soon afterwards, and eventually got the on-site interview. The on-site was several hours long including a lunch interview and three consecutive interviews with the team I was to be joining. I was very nervous but all the interviews were very casual and pretty fun conversations. After a week or so I received news of my offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pick one of your art pieces, and that one piece would determine whether you are either an artist or not an artist, which one would it be?   Answer Question