Riot Games

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.2

Senior Development Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games.

By far the most awkward interviews I've ever experienced and an unacceptably disorganized interview process. Not only do months lapse between interviews, but no one seems to be on the same page with anything and the entire organization appears to be running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I've been around the block a bit through my career, and I've never witnessed such odd interview practices and delayed timelines. Further, those in management roles at this company who interview you repeatedly claimed that all they do every single day is interview people; so who's actually managing the company and their employees? Scary, to say the least.

I am passionate about League of Legends, so I believe that's what ultimately led to a potential with Riot, but I took another position without hesitation after seeing the mess first hand.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games.

I will not go on specifics in respect of the NDA and my company. I had 2 phone interviews with different members of the team, followed by an onsite panel interview. The onsite experience was great! The panel was very nice, respectful, and very informative on how the process would take place. I was explained in detail who I was interviewing, their role, and given a tour of the company during a break. The questions themselves were actually very straight forward, some caught me by surprised. Lots of problem-solving questions and team collaboration, but expected due to the role responsibilities. After the onsite, I was interviewed 2 more times due to panel interviewers that were not able to meet me during the onsite due to emergency meetings/Esports/reasons. Offer 1-2 weeks after my last call.

Interview Questions
    • Problem-solving questions. I cannot remember anymore, but lots of problem-solving questions...   Answer Question

Help Desk Support Candidate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Riot Games.

Riot Games is undergoing a massive growth spurt and I got the impression that they are more or less feeling their way through the growth process, and the hiring process.

While I give them full marks for wanting to establish a unified culture, comprised of employees who adhere to their manifesto, I found the interview process to be disorganized and confusing at best.

I should preface this review by stating that I went through a recruiter for what was to be a contract-to-hire position in the IT department. Thus, I cannot speak to the experience of an independent applicant, which may be quite different.

That being said, my experience:

It had begun with a phone screen orchestrated by my recruiter. The phone screen was devoid of any kind of direction and could only be described as awkward. In fact it was so strange that I had effectively written off the opportunity entirely at the conclusion of the call. But lo and behold...

To my dismay, my recruiter contacted me about a week later and informed me that they wanted me to come onsite for a four-hour interview. (Hmm.) I of course agreed as Riot Games is a company and a culture that I am confident I would feel right at home within.

(Cutting the TL;DR)

I felt that the onsite interview had gone very well and I was optimistic about an offer afterwards. I answered the technical questions and I had the impression that I got along very well with all of my interviewers. However, this notion was an ephemeral one as my recruiter informed me the very next day that Riot Games had decided to entertain other candidates. Not much of an explanation offered for their decision.

Interview Questions
    • The onsite interview was more than four hours, and there was a plethora of questions, so I won't enumerate them here. I will say, however, that the questions were pointed and there were no brainteasers (perhaps they caught wind that Google stopped asking these types of questions as they'd discovered that there's absolutely no correlation between brainteaser whizzes and good hires?), which is a huge step forward for any employer.   Answer Question

Publishing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games in October 2014.

I applied through their website and they called me 3 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. After that one there were 3 more phone interviews, and finally an on-site interview with multiple people that lasted multiple hours. They do make sure you're comfortable and it includes lunch, so it is not as intense as it sounds. Personally I had a great experience and I learnt a lot. They are not afraid of giving you feedback right then and there, which from what I hear is not just while interviewing, but also when you work there. That is one of the many great things about Riot Games!

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Riot Games in October 2014.

Was contacted by a recruiter. Recruiter stated that I had to be a video game player. I'm not a huge LoL player, but I've played LoL before and I play other video games all the time. Note that this position was for an infrastructure position, not a game designer/developer/etc.

Initial phone screen was set up a couple days later. Questions asked were pretty generic (Why do you want to work for Riot, why are you leaving your current position, etc.) The person doing the interview described themselves as "liaison" and didn't seem to know much about the technology used. After the initial phone screen the recruiter contacted me within 48 hours to setup a second phone interview.

Second phone interview was scheduled for an hour, but only took about 20 minutes. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a technical interview, but I only recall them asking one somewhat technical question (listed below). Normally these types of technical interviews involve a bit of trivia about the systems you'll be supporting. There were two people interviewing me, and they seemed like they were peers as opposed to management or team leaders.

After about 48 hours, I called to ask the recruiter for a status update, and found out they were not interested in going further. There was no other feedback provided. I was confused and disappointed, seeing as how the technical interview wasn't really all that technical and I felt it went really well. It seems like they made the decision based on something other than my actual skills and talents (although I have no idea what they actually based it on).

Interview Questions
    • Say you were going to be supporting a remote data center. What considerations would you have to take into account.   View Answer

Technical Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games.

This was a very long process. I went through 7 phone interviews before I was invited on-site. There was some confusion as to what role was best suited for me since I had a wide array of skills. The interview process seems very unstructured and each interviewer sort of "wings it" and asks what they want. None of the phone interviews are particularly challenging but the interviewers put a lot of emphasis on what you intuitively know.

The on-site interview is a mix of behavioral and technical. The technical questions weren't very difficult and the interviewers simply want to get a handle on what you've done previously and if the experience is translatable. The main focus is a "pitch" you have to do for two Directors at Riot. You will be given little guidance and simply told to pitch a product vision and how you would execute upon that vision. They seem to be in a phase where their preference is for seasoned veterans in the gaming industry and if you're coming from a different industry, it would behoove you to do some additional research. There are no bonus points given for asking the right questions. Also, I would advise against pitching anything too specific because it will open you up to conflicts with their internal initiatives. If possible, try and learn what these are before you go on-site. Finally, get a good sense of what their staffing is like in terms of engineering capabilities and personnel allocation. You will be asked specifically what sort of team you will need. Looking back, I would have asked previous interviewers these types of questions in the Q&A.

My biggest mistake was picking a product idea that did not mesh with current initiatives, was mired in technical detail (due to the nature of the product), and not having a detailed plan (because I came in with too many questions about how Riot prioritizes, what other projects are in pipeline, internal metrics of the problem, resource allocation, etc.).

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you are a newly minted product owner with no team. How would you execute on your product vision?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Riot Games in September 2014.

I received an invitation to interview by phone after visiting Riot at a career fair. I showed up prepared for a general interview, which quickly delved into the technical sides. It lasted 30 minutes with myself and some other Rioters. They were very friendly and helpful during the interview process and made the experience enjoyable. Afterwards, we went meta and talked about how the interview went and where they would like to see improvement(super awesome when people do that).

Interview Questions
    • They asked me questions related to the skills you have on your resume, and you will answer in pseudocode.

I would like to think that questions will always vary between different people.
        Answer Question

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

This was an 8 hour interview that consisted of a lot of questions about the exact ways in which one interviews candidates, finds people, and does their job on a daily. The questions are asked by people outside of HR/Recruiting so it's not easy to relate. They are very much so looking for people within their world and if they will scale they will need to be open to people with relatable experience.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Riot Games in June 2014.

Applied Online, One Interview through the phone, didnt get through. Basically you apply online submit all the documents and answer all the relevant questions, after that theyll contact you through email for a phone interview and then after that face to face, pretty cool

Web Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games.

Applied through http://www.riotgames.com/careers. Interview setup was done through email throughout the entire process. There was a total of 6 interviews. Started off with a non technical phone interview, followed by a slightly more technical phone interview less than a week later. I was then asked to come on-site where I had 3 interviews, which ranged from non technical to very technical, but did not include any actual coding. 2 weeks later, another on-site was set up to meet with the Engineering managers.

Interview Questions
    • “Imagine that you have three boxes, one containing two black marbles, one containing two white marbles, and the third, one black marble and one white marble. The boxes were labeled for their contents - BB, WW, BW - but someone has switched the labels so that every box is now incorrectly labeled. You are allowed to take one marble at a time out of any box, without looking inside, and by this process of sampling you are to determine the contents of all three boxes. What is the smallest number of drawings needed to do this?”   View Answers (4)
    No negotiation was needed. Took a week to create the offer, and was above my desired offer.