Riot Games

106 interviews

3.2

Web Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Riot Games.

Applied through http://www.riotgames.com/careers. Interview setup was done through email throughout the entire process. There was a total of 6 interviews. Started off with a non technical phone interview, followed by a slightly more technical phone interview less than a week later. I was then asked to come on-site where I had 3 interviews, which ranged from non technical to very technical, but did not include any actual coding. 2 weeks later, another on-site was set up to meet with the Engineering managers.

Interview Questions
    • “Imagine that you have three boxes, one containing two black marbles, one containing two white marbles, and the third, one black marble and one white marble. The boxes were labeled for their contents - BB, WW, BW - but someone has switched the labels so that every box is now incorrectly labeled. You are allowed to take one marble at a time out of any box, without looking inside, and by this process of sampling you are to determine the contents of all three boxes. What is the smallest number of drawings needed to do this?”   View Answers (4)
    No negotiation was needed. Took a week to create the offer, and was above my desired offer.

Live Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Riot Games.

I was brought in through to interview with the Live Services Department Manager, Lance Stites. The interview was casual and more like a conversation rather than an actual interview. Everything went well, and when I left I was told I would be in touch with someone from the department to go through the process of hiring me. Long story short, none of my follow up emails were responded to, and the only message I received from one of the members of the Live Services Team was that they were waiting on HR to get clearance to bring me in.

I guess the main thing people should consider from this is that Riot is not the most professional of companies as of yet, and that this company will ignore people they plan to hire due to "red tape" in hiring decisions. Seems like it would've been a great experience, and I was very unhappy that they wasted my summer by making me think I had locked down a job there.

Interview Questions
    • If you were leading Riot games given the current success of the League of Legends product, where would you go next?   Answer Question
    Never happened. Really disappointed me.

Net Ops Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Started with a Skype interview, followed by one phone interview. After that it was an onsite with 4 back to back interviews with 5 people. The people were all really nice, and the contact I had through HR was awesome at answering questions (I had tons).

Interview Questions
    • If the world's oxygen delivery system was suddenly cut off and you had to come up with a replacement system, what would it be? Months later I still won't know how this should be answered :P   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer, Accounts, Core Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Riot Games in April 2014.

Recruiter, phone interview, second phone interview, onsite interviews (3 + a lunch meeting with a manager).
    Onsite interview process: Lunch meeting is actually a lunch interview with your candidate manager.
    First onsite interview is very concept-focused, second is code-focused, third is behaviour/culture-focused.

Be prepared for anything and everything - and don't leave any of your thoughts out.

Interview Questions
    • Say League of Legends just collapsed one day, and you had to build everything from scratch. How would you code minions?   View Answer
    I'm an intern, so there's really not that much negotiation. The formal offer is coming, but I accepted the verbal after hearing what the package would be.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Riot Games.

I applied online and received an email about receiving a phone screen. After passing the phone screen I went through 2 more technical interviews before being asked to come on-site. While on-site, I spoke with hiring managers and technical members from the potential teams I would be joining. I was on-site for about 5h.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were relatively standard in terms of software interviews. Web programming and technologies knowledge is a plus.   Answer Question

Game Design Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Submitted an application online during their general "Call for intern applications". I completed the initial set of questions, and also wrote out a few pages of theory on resource gating theory. The resource theory stuff was unsolicited - they said to feel free to add anything you felt would help you stand out, and I decided to go the extra mile to show how I thought about my work.

Next round of selections was a number of game-specific questionnaires. These were pretty standard, and you could tell there were expected right and wrong answers, but the emphasis was on explaining your thought process.

Follow-on to that was a phone interview. Scheduling for this was pretty straightforward. The interview itself was very informal, which seems to be somewhat par for the course when interacting with Riot. The interviewer tried to put me at ease, and overall I really enjoyed the process - I really wanted the job, but I felt like my thoughts put forward in the interview would be considered even if I wasn't given the job. It was a nice feeling- that even during the interview I was participating, instead of being "looked down at" as I had felt on other interviews.

When I was asked to come out for the on-site interview, Riot was very accommodating about making it a positive experience for me - I had asked about picking dates and times to fly so that I could attend the LCS super week that was happening, and not only could they accommodate the schedule I was looking at, they were able to get tickets for me after they had sold out.

They set up the intern interviews in a group and solo environment: There are a large number of interns interviewing each day, but only one for each position per day. This meant that you were not alone in being new, but there was no one there you were competing against for a spot.

Interviews were done by setting the candidate up in a room and then a number of project leads came to you and had the interviews there. I appreciated not having to move around a lot - it gave me some time and space to become comfortable with, and to put out my best foot forward.

All of the interviewers seemed interested in helping me to make my best impression - there were no questions that I felt were "trick questions" - they were all real questions designed to see if you could think creatively on your feet.

The interview with Mr. Cadwell was the most difficult - his questions were less directly game related than any other, and really challenged my ability to adapt quickly. There was a good 5 minutes where I thought he might be in the wrong room and was looking for someone with a more computer-science oriented background, since he was asking a lot about machine learning, which is something I have never really done.

I was asked back to participate in a second day of interviews, since they felt there were additional teams that I might be a good fit for. The second day was a bit more scattered, as there were still the standard intern interviews going on, and then my interviews were on top of this, but it was again a positive experience. I was able to meet with the additional teams and spent some time talking with them. Again, it felt like my input was valued even though I was just an interview candidate, and that made me feel more at ease during the process.

Riot seems to keep the interns with a single recruiter through the entire process, which made keeping track of whom to contact very easy.

Interview Questions
    • Had a number of questions that centered around "How would you go about making a model to determine the price one should actually expect to pay on a house?" - apparently this was a side project that was being worked on in the office and they wanted to see how my thought process lined up with theirs.

The question caught me a bit off guard, since they started to get more into the technical aspects of how to build the model, which was actually pretty far afield from my area of expertise, but I suppose it was better that they push until failure rather than just contain themselves to easy questions.
        Answer Question
    There wasn't a lot of room for negotiation on an internship position, but Riot made efforts to be communicative with me, and seemed to be keeping my best interests in mind at all times.

Doesn't Matter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 7 months - interviewed at Riot Games in August 2013.

Riot seems to interview for the person, not the position. Even though I applied for a position on their website, I was told not to think about that specific position when I answered the questions. The process is lengthy and time consuming. There is also a long delay in communication from the hiring managers. The recruiting staff was always very responsive to requests for updates, but were not proactive with them.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was to not think about the actual position you were applying for. They really just want to know who you are and where you might best fit in their organization. It can be very unnerving if you are used to the typical Q&A.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Riot Games in April 2011.

Two to three phone screens followed by a full day onsite with prospective team members, leaders and experts. Follow up phone interviews with Tech Director and CEO. At first I was annoyed with the long onsite interview but it ended up being a fantastic experience that gave me good insight into what it would be like to work at the company and with the team I was being interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • There were some challenging but fun, non-programming brain puzzlers. But most questions were not strange, or overly challenging.   Answer Question
    Lengthy. I proposed a salary, they counter offered. I pressed back and was guaranteed a 3-6 month review for the salary I wanted as well as starting with 2 weeks of PTO pre-accrued. Every phase of this process required a contract redrafting which was somewhat painful. I don't think they were expecting to haggle.

Tech Artist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Riot Games.

Phone call interview with 3 people from the team. They were interested in what experiences and interests I have in regards to rigging, environment, and particles. This particular position needs you to be fairly well-rounded. They asked about which languages I knew and what kind of projects I've done and scripting experience. I knew the position included python, c++, and javascript languages so had tried to focus on those. I've had a lot of game project experience with friends that I was also about to mention and talk about.
    The onsite interview as long. Each person gets 11/2 hours to interview you with a total of 4 people. They started me with a lunch one-on-one. Then I went into the 'interview room' and it was one after another they came in. You are free to ask for a break but I went all the way through. Everyone was extremely kind and would clarify questions I didn't understand or know. I learned a lot from just that. We didn't really end up using the whole time so ended up with them asking "do you have any questions for me". I usually asked what they did specifically and what types of projects they were working on because I was interested. I also asked a few fun questions about what games they played and what they thought of LOL which got us into very awesome conversations.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider your greatest flaw?   View Answer
    They had a great offer and it was a great experience. Everyone was nice and they personally called to answer questions and give me the offer before they emailed it.

Manager, Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Riot Games in June 2012.

Expect multiple rounds, lengthy interviews and hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • None. Most of the questions are pretty relevant. Make sure you know about Riot culture and yes, it will be a plus if you are one of our players and fans.   Answer Question