Riot Games

3.2

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Riot Games.

At first I received a questionnaire which was meant to determine if I was interested in Project Management, Development Managment, Product Ownership, or Producing. Once it became clear that I actually knew what Project Management was and that I had an interest in it, I had two phone screens, which focused on my resume, and then they brought me onsite for a series of interviews (and during which time I signed an NDA, which I will respect). Finally I had a case study before receiving my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Once again, I was under NDA for most of the interview, but I will stress that being a culture fit is not just talked about a lot Riot, it is of the utmost importance. I have seen people with years of experience get rejected because they are not a culture fit, while others (like myself) with little formal experience, but who have high aptitude and are culture fits get hired. If you are wondering if you are a culture fit, you should look at the Riot Manifesto.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate

MySQL Database Administration Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

I initial applied for the position online, via Riot Games' website. I was contacted very soon after by an individual in human resources (I think) that did an initial phone screen. Upon passing the phone screen, the same individual scheduled a technical review with the team lead. A few weeks after the technical review, I was scheduled for another technical interview. This technical interview was more in-depth and covered a range of topics. This interview was followed up with an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions I was asked during the technical screens were based on my experience and questions related to said experience.   View Answer

Esports Features Editor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Riot Games in February 2014.

Got a phone interview about this position which went on for about ~15 minutes, said that I should hear back from another person within a week. Never got a call back.

Player Support Specialist Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Riot Games.

Contacted me via E-mail. Setup a phone interview for about a week later. Flew me out about a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • If an alien who didn't speak any English visited earth, explain to him how to make a PB&J sandwich   Answer Question

Mobile Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Riot Games.

One hour phone interview managed by a software engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions focused on both a specific, chosen language, mobile languages, and general coding experience.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Riot Games.

i knew someone at Riot through a family member and was able to get an interview. was contacted through HR who setup a phone interview with one of the marketing events consultants working for Riot. he went over some of the details of the job, but did not spend much time discussing my qualifications or background. during the interview, it appeared that he was not the final decision maker. i was supposed to hear back from the marketing manager to see if i was a good match, but never heard back. after following up with HR, they told me that they were not interested in hiring me.

Interview Questions
    • there really were no questions directed at me other than inquiring about my work experience managing events.   View Answer

Not Important Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Riot Games.

I applied for the position on Riot's career website around mid November and was contacted around the end of November to submit in a cover letter/shot essay about why I believe I would be a good fit. I contacted again around the first week of December to complete an assessment that got harder the more you got correct. You got 20 minutes to answer as many as you can. A week later I was contacted by a Recruiting Coordinator for my 1st interview. I was asked if I played the game, what my rank was and who my favorite champion was. Other than that, it was more of a get to know you and make sure you are a correct fit for this position. About a week and a half after that I was contacted for another phone interview that was very similar to the first but dug in a little deeper. Around this time, Riot was going on their Holiday break and I was told I would hear back when they got back in the office after the new year. I heard back and was contacted for a 3rd phone interview from a person that I am guessing would have been my peer. I was told that following this I would go over to Santa Monica to meet everyone face to face and get a tour of the building however I was contacted the next day and setup for a 4th phone interview for a few days later with a lead for thd department I would be joining. I was told that following this interview, I would fly down. At this point the process had taken about 2.5 months. I felt the 4th interview could have went better, but I do not feel it went poorly. I was contacted 3 days later to alert me that Riot is pursuing other candidates.

I wish I knew what exactly changed from the first 3 great interviews to the 4th interview that made them change their mind about bringing me in. I'm not sure if they believe I'm not a fit culture wise or what but I plan on trying again in about a year as Riot would be a great company to work at.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult in the phone interviews, very standard questions. I cannot comment on the onsite interview as I did not make it that far   Answer Question

Esports Features Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Riot Games.

I was contacted in the interest of the Esports division on a Monday. I then had 2 phone interviews on Weds that went really well. I had great conversation with both employees spanning from work experiences to open and casual conversation. One thing that was interesting is that I wasn't interviewing for one specific position. They had many positions to fill and so I looked forward to hearing back from Riot. I was contacted the next morning to do an on-site interview session. for the following week. After getting back with my open dates was told that they were overwhelmed and would not be able to schedule until 2nd week in Jan. I was fine with that even though it was a 3 week span. The following week there was an opening and had 2 days to prepare. Going in I was excited and eager. I had 4 interviews in a 2 hour span and they went from easy to hard in a sense. Had great conversations and it was more about my observations about Esports and what could I bring to the table instead of the standard blanket questions. They would challenge my answers with questions to spin them in a different approach. After the last interview I felt that I was able to express myself and my ideas well. I was also invited to the live show by one of the producers. I attended the show and got a great tour of the studio and met a lot of people. Also saw most of the Rioters that interviewed me. This gave me great confidence in securing one of many positions that were available. After the winter break which most employees were gone I was not thinking I would hear back until 3rd week of Jan. Unfortunately I got an early email the 2nd week stating that they will not be pursuing me for one certain position. I was a bit shocked but understand there are a lot of candidates that are vying for the positions.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Riot Games in January 2012.

After my friend referred me, I had 2 phone screens before coming onsite for 6 interviews. The first 2 phone screens were conducted by a Vice President and the President of Riot. Onsite, I met with a host of Senior Producers and Producers. This culminated in another interview with the President.

Interview Questions
    • How do I know I should stop investing in League of Legends?   Answer Question

ESports League Operations Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Riot Games in December 2013.

I had applied for this job four months ago before finally being contacted. HR contacted me via email and set up a phone interview with me that was 30 minutes long. The guy called right on time. He was very nice and personable. We both joked together and it felt as if we had a good rapport. He asked me basic questions like; Why do you want to work for Riot and why esports. I have an enormous amount of experience in both the video game industry and esports but funnily enough he did not really ask me about it. He just kept saying that "I see you have a lot of experience". I took it as a key to elaborate on those points of my former experience when answering questions which I did.

Like the others have posted, Riot seems to ask you an "out of the box" question and make you sweat it out. His wasn't so much "out of the box", but after answering he would keep trying to poke holes in my answers and make me come up with a revised answer. His question was, "You have 10 teams and you need to throw a tournament. How would you do it?". I answered on the spot and he would bring up problems like: you only have this much time and this team has this problem, etc.

I thought I did well in the phone interview but could have maybe done a bit better. I definitely didn't do badly but I guess Riot thought otherwise. The interviewer told me that I would receive a call or email with their next steps (i.e. move forward with you or rejection letter). It has been 9 days and I still haven't received either. I even contacted them via email but still no reply. Heartbreaking...but I guess good news for whomever is reading this because it means that the job is still open. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • "You have 10 teams and you need to throw a tournament. How would you do it?"   View Answer