Riot Games

Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.1

Tech Artist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Riot Games.

Phone call interview with 3 people from the team. They were interested in what experiences and interests I have in regards to rigging, environment, and particles. This particular position needs you to be fairly well-rounded. They asked about which languages I knew and what kind of projects I've done and scripting experience. I knew the position included python, c++, and javascript languages so had tried to focus on those. I've had a lot of game project experience with friends that I was also about to mention and talk about.
    The onsite interview as long. Each person gets 11/2 hours to interview you with a total of 4 people. They started me with a lunch one-on-one. Then I went into the 'interview room' and it was one after another they came in. You are free to ask for a break but I went all the way through. Everyone was extremely kind and would clarify questions I didn't understand or know. I learned a lot from just that. We didn't really end up using the whole time so ended up with them asking "do you have any questions for me". I usually asked what they did specifically and what types of projects they were working on because I was interested. I also asked a few fun questions about what games they played and what they thought of LOL which got us into very awesome conversations.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider your greatest flaw?   View Answer
    They had a great offer and it was a great experience. Everyone was nice and they personally called to answer questions and give me the offer before they emailed it.

Software Engineer, Accounts, Core Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games in April 2014.

Recruiter, phone interview, second phone interview, onsite interviews (3 + a lunch meeting with a manager).
    Onsite interview process: Lunch meeting is actually a lunch interview with your candidate manager.
    First onsite interview is very concept-focused, second is code-focused, third is behaviour/culture-focused.

Be prepared for anything and everything - and don't leave any of your thoughts out.

Interview Questions
    • Say League of Legends just collapsed one day, and you had to build everything from scratch. How would you code minions?   View Answer
    I'm an intern, so there's really not that much negotiation. The formal offer is coming, but I accepted the verbal after hearing what the package would be.

QA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Riot Games in April 2014.

The recruiters were great, they provided helpful tips. The process took several weeks from initial contact to on-site interview. The people were great and the culture sounded awesome. I didn't get the offer (I was fine with this, it's important to find the right people) however, their final assessment as to why made little sense.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the differences between Software as a Service vs Traditional titles (ship it and forget it)   View Answer

Data Science Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Talked to an employee at a Riot-hosted event at my college, who referred me to a company employee with whom I could talk about my potential involvement in the company. After speaking with him about my work an interests, he recommended I apply during the official internship process later that year.

When the intern applications opened, I submitted my app, which simply included my resume and a free-response cover letter. After a couple months (right in line with the stated response timeline), I received an email stating that I had been selected for the first round of interviews, and asking to schedule a time.

The first interview was a phone interview with a Data Science lead analyst, and ended up being a mix of technical and personal questions. The second interview was conducted via Skype with two Data Science researchers, one of whom was the person I had spoken with on the phone a few months earlier, and was way more technical. Finally, I was flown out to Santa Monica to visit Riot Games headquarters and have my third round of interviews, which were in person.

The day began with a tour of the offices, Q&A about the employees and process, and of course a couple games of League of Legends. I then began my interviews, each of which was with one or more people on the Data Science team, and each of which lasted for about an hour. The first one was more personal, touching on my background and experience, as well as how and why I thought I would be a good fit. The second was way more technical, and included programming challenges (which were fairly typical for a Computer Science interview) and a couple of more specific 'situational' problems - they would describe a data science problem to see how I would approach it, even though there was no strict right or wrong answer. They also discussed my previous work in the area. The final interview seemed to be looking at how I would do in a workplace environment, with questions about interpersonal relations and communication ability, as well as some technical questions towards the end.

Interview Questions
    • At what point do you think we should stop investing in League of Legends?   Answer Question

Player Support Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Riot Games.

Contacted me via E-mail. Setup a phone interview for about a week later. Flew me out about a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • If an alien who didn't speak any English visited earth, explain to him how to make a PB&J sandwich   Answer Question

Mobile Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Riot Games.

One hour phone interview managed by a software engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions focused on both a specific, chosen language, mobile languages, and general coding experience.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

I was reached out to by a non-recruiter after a project I created was noticed by one of Riot's internal teams. Total process took about 2 and a half weeks.

Began with an informal email back and forth to determine my interest in the company and potential positions — followed by two phone interviews. The first was with my potential hiring manager, the second was with a lead on the same design team. The interviews included both technical (skillset, how I've dealt with specific problems in the past, team cohesiveness) and non-technical questions (such as culture, personality, my background as a gamer and League of Legends).

After the two phone interviews I was invited for an on-site interview in Los Angeles for the following week.

The on-site was a full day from 10am until around 7pm. It included interviews with design stakeholders, leads on several of their other teams, VP's and a design challenge. The interviews individually ranged from informal and culture based to very technical (be prepared to answer very specific and direct questions about your methods, philosophy and process). The design challenge was tailored specifically to League of Legends and was different than most typical tech company design challenges.

There was one final phone interview two days after the on-site with a Director of the design program. It was basically asking any final questions, checking cultural fit and asking for general salary / benefits requirements.

Offer package was made the following day by the hiring manager.

Very important thing to note: If you are a gamer, be prepared to talk about it at length and have an opinion. If you're not a gamer, play League of Legends before you go for an on-site or even your second phone interview. Being active in the game and having an understanding of the community is extremely important. The company practices what it preaches when it comes to being player focused.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for anything, I can't reveal specifically what was asked but there is a huge range possible.   Answer Question
    The offered was very competitive and negotiation was not necessary.

Net Ops Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Started with a Skype interview, followed by one phone interview. After that it was an onsite with 4 back to back interviews with 5 people. The people were all really nice, and the contact I had through HR was awesome at answering questions (I had tons).

Interview Questions
    • If the world's oxygen delivery system was suddenly cut off and you had to come up with a replacement system, what would it be? Months later I still won't know how this should be answered :P   View Answers (2)

MySQL Database Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I initial applied for the position online, via Riot Games' website. I was contacted very soon after by an individual in human resources (I think) that did an initial phone screen. Upon passing the phone screen, the same individual scheduled a technical review with the team lead. A few weeks after the technical review, I was scheduled for another technical interview. This technical interview was more in-depth and covered a range of topics. This interview was followed up with an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions I was asked during the technical screens were based on my experience and questions related to said experience.   View Answer

Game Design Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Riot Games in March 2014.

Submitted an application online during their general "Call for intern applications". I completed the initial set of questions, and also wrote out a few pages of theory on resource gating theory. The resource theory stuff was unsolicited - they said to feel free to add anything you felt would help you stand out, and I decided to go the extra mile to show how I thought about my work.

Next round of selections was a number of game-specific questionnaires. These were pretty standard, and you could tell there were expected right and wrong answers, but the emphasis was on explaining your thought process.

Follow-on to that was a phone interview. Scheduling for this was pretty straightforward. The interview itself was very informal, which seems to be somewhat par for the course when interacting with Riot. The interviewer tried to put me at ease, and overall I really enjoyed the process - I really wanted the job, but I felt like my thoughts put forward in the interview would be considered even if I wasn't given the job. It was a nice feeling- that even during the interview I was participating, instead of being "looked down at" as I had felt on other interviews.

When I was asked to come out for the on-site interview, Riot was very accommodating about making it a positive experience for me - I had asked about picking dates and times to fly so that I could attend the LCS super week that was happening, and not only could they accommodate the schedule I was looking at, they were able to get tickets for me after they had sold out.

They set up the intern interviews in a group and solo environment: There are a large number of interns interviewing each day, but only one for each position per day. This meant that you were not alone in being new, but there was no one there you were competing against for a spot.

Interviews were done by setting the candidate up in a room and then a number of project leads came to you and had the interviews there. I appreciated not having to move around a lot - it gave me some time and space to become comfortable with, and to put out my best foot forward.

All of the interviewers seemed interested in helping me to make my best impression - there were no questions that I felt were "trick questions" - they were all real questions designed to see if you could think creatively on your feet.

The interview with Mr. Cadwell was the most difficult - his questions were less directly game related than any other, and really challenged my ability to adapt quickly. There was a good 5 minutes where I thought he might be in the wrong room and was looking for someone with a more computer-science oriented background, since he was asking a lot about machine learning, which is something I have never really done.

I was asked back to participate in a second day of interviews, since they felt there were additional teams that I might be a good fit for. The second day was a bit more scattered, as there were still the standard intern interviews going on, and then my interviews were on top of this, but it was again a positive experience. I was able to meet with the additional teams and spent some time talking with them. Again, it felt like my input was valued even though I was just an interview candidate, and that made me feel more at ease during the process.

Riot seems to keep the interns with a single recruiter through the entire process, which made keeping track of whom to contact very easy.

Interview Questions
    • Had a number of questions that centered around "How would you go about making a model to determine the price one should actually expect to pay on a house?" - apparently this was a side project that was being worked on in the office and they wanted to see how my thought process lined up with theirs.

The question caught me a bit off guard, since they started to get more into the technical aspects of how to build the model, which was actually pretty far afield from my area of expertise, but I suppose it was better that they push until failure rather than just contain themselves to easy questions.
        Answer Question
    There wasn't a lot of room for negotiation on an internship position, but Riot made efforts to be communicative with me, and seemed to be keeping my best interests in mind at all times.