Risk Management Solutions

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.1

New Graduate Training Interview

I was asked to record a video interview. A pre-recorded person asks 5 non-technical questions, and you are given a short period of time to answer each one. It's been a week and I haven't heard back yet.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Risk Management Solutions.

2 phone interviews and 4 2v1 1 hours sessions for on site.

Interview Questions
    • Design pattern
      Data structure and algorithm: linked list, recursive

Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

The interview process was relatively painless. A bit confusing, but a better experience than others I've had. Three one-on-one interviews with apparently different departments, and a short presentation that I gave on my thesis work. I did not fully understand what I was interviewing for, as the questions asked in each interview were quite different. Additionally, two out of three had me working "case" type problems. I was very nervous solving these problems in front of my interviewers on big white boards (who wouldn't be!), but the interviewers were helpful and encouraging if I got stuck. Because I didn't know who was from what department (nor would I have even understood what each department did anyway), I didn't know how to properly "sell" myself to a department I would enjoy working in while not eliminating myself entirely - I knew well what RMS does, but not where they were trying to fit me.

Everyone was genuinely kind and I appreciated other employees stopping by the "holding tank" to say hello. I felt immediately that the culture was youthful and pretty energetic. Coffee/drinks and snacks were available for the interviewees - I felt welcome in the office.

My only frustrations were with the hiring process itself - despite being told we would hear back regardless on the following Monday, I did not get any response until nearly 3 weeks after my interview, and only after writing in to say I was about to accept another offer because I had not heard anything from RMS. That afternoon, I recieved a call stating that they were working on an offer for me. I understand now that organizational changes were happening at the time that could have contributed to this delay. I was a bit upset at the time, but it wasn't a big deal; everything was handled very professionally once we got the ball rolling.

I was fully reimbursed in about a month for my rental car and gas to get to Hoboken.

Interview Questions
    I only had two business days to sign my acceptance - I would have liked more time to consider the offer itself and possibly negotiate, as I was offered slightly higher compensation and better insurance with the other offer I had been considering. I felt a 2-day turnaround was rushed after having to wait three weeks to hear anything. I probably could have asked for more time, but I was happier just to have it over with and in my favor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Risk Management Solutions.

I found the job opportunity online, and the first step was a phone interview, which was followed by a video interview. Both of those were fairly straight-forward. Then they flew me out to NY for a final interview, which consisted of three 2-on-1 interviews and a presentation in front of several employees on a topic of my choice. About a week later they called me to offer a job.

Interview Questions
    • The fact that I had to deliver a presentation in the final interview in front of several current employees was a bit intimidating, but it went well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Risk Management Solutions.

I came across this job posting on my school's career website and applied through there. Almost immediately I received confirmation that they were reviewing my resume and within 3 hours I was already invited to complete a video interview. This part of the process was very unique and was unlike anything I had gone through with other employers. I was asked to answer a few pre-recorded questions as they recorded my responses; giving no opportunity to interact with an actual employee during the interview. I quickly adjusted to that though as the questions seemed to reflect more on who I am as a person, rather than anything extremely technical. Roughly a month later I was asked to come on site and complete a series of in person interviews, including giving a presentation The Human Resources team made traveling to my interview extremely easy. They were prompt when answering any questions I had regarding travel logistics and how the interview day would be structured. I definitely felt like I was receiving individualized attention and that they really valued the time I was taking to interview with them. Once I arrived and walked into the office, I knew I was going to love this company. Everyone was welcoming, down to earth, and excited to have us there. There were roughly 10 interview candidates there that morning, but right from the start they made it clear that they were looking to extend multiple offers and not to feel like the people beside us were competition. This created a much more comfortable environment as we started the interview process. There were a total of four one-on-one interviews and one presentation in which two RMS employees were present. For me, the interviews ranged from solving an optimization problem to personality questions, to understanding who RMS is and how they work within their industry. At each step of the way I never felt pressured to make sure I had the perfect, right answer. Whenever I got stuck or didn't feel completely confident in my answer, I would answer to the best of my ability and they seemed to be understanding, working with me to fill in the gaps. After the day was over, it only took 3 days for them to get back to me with an offer. They explained which department my offer was for, but made it clear that I would not have to be locked into this role forever. The company really embraces learning and expanding expertise in new areas. Down the road I will be able to express an interest in another area of the company and have the ability to go there if I want. Overall, I have really enjoyed being a part of this company. The culture is collaborative, supportive, and innovative. They really understand having a good work-life balance, the need for personal growth, and strive to help you get where you want to be. Never once have I felt like I needed to know everything or that I had no one to turn to for assistance. Be yourself and come with an open mind, ready to learn.

Interview Questions
    • For me, the most difficult question was during the video interview part where I was asked about what drives me. I liked this question a lot because I felt like it really focused on who you are as a person, how you work, and what you value in life; instead of how much you learned in college or how you well you researched the company. Still it was difficult for me to pin-point one thing since it was such a deep question.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Graduate Position Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Risk Management Solutions.

Met with them at a career fair. Called in for an interview. Interviewed with about 5 or 6 different people from different departments, and held a 20 minute presentation on something that I know well enough. The interviews seemed a little short, but I liked the process.

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Risk Management Solutions.

Once I submitted my resume I had a phone interview.
    After which I was called Onsite for a face to face with team members, Manager and Senior Director
    Then another day I came for Interview with the CTO

Analyst, Model Certification Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Risk Management Solutions.

Get a phone interview after two weeks when I submit my resume. The interviewer is on speaker mode during the interview, not a good experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Risk Management Solutions in March 2013.

I applied online through my university's career development center. A couple weeks later I received an e-mail asking me to complete a video interview. It consisted of five basic questions (tell me about yourself, what drives you, etc.). Shortly after sending in the video interview, I received an e-mail from a recruiter asking to come in for an on-site interview. RMS covered my travel expenses and hotel the night before.

At the on-site interview, there were 12 other candidates that day. I found out later there were 23 total candidates brought in between the two days of interviews. Also, they prefaced the interview round-robin by saying that there are multiple positions so there's no competition with the guy/girl next to you.

The actual on-site interviews consisted of four one-on-one interviews and a presentation to a group of three current Risk Analysts. Three of the interviews were more behavioral and why RMS, while the last one was a case study. Each interview lasted 30-45 minutes and everyone was very friendly/pleasant.

At the end of the interview day (Friday), a HR representative said that she would let us know by the following Monday. She did, in fact, e-mail me late on Monday for a follow up call on Tuesday/Wednesday. The phone call was very brief and explained that I would receive an e-mail with the formal offer on by Thursday.

Overall, very quick turn around time and responsive after selection for video interview. Interview process was a pleasant one.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Determine the number of homeless people in New York city, and 2) if you had $50000 and four weeks, what would you do to decrease that number?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The offer was competitive with what I expected and good benefits. However, allotted time to accept/decline was a bit short... received e-mailed PDF on Thursday to be signed/returned by the following Monday.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Risk Management Solutions in March 2013.

Overall I would say this was not a good interview experience. My biggest complaint with this interview was that the position I applied for (Risk Analyst), was not the actual position I was being considered for. In fact, during the interview I found out that the Risk Analyst position is really more of a corporate development program and not an analyst position at all. I figured this out about half way through the first of four in-person interviews I had, after I had prepared and tailored my answers to interview questions that highlighted the previous work I’ve done in financial analysis. It was disappointing. And, in case you’re wondering, I gaged from the interviews that the main position they’re recruiting for in this Risk Analyst program is basically a client services representative. When I toured the office, there were a lot of people with headsets sitting in cubicles answering customer service questions from clients. And these questions were things like: How do I change the font of the text in the spreadsheet table? This is essentially the job they’re calling a Risk Analyst.

Besides that, the other thing that struck me as odd was the hotel situation. They do book the hotel for you, but rather than book a room at the nice hotel right next to the office, they book you a room in a hotel in Weehawken, NJ, which is a significant commute from the interview location. I should also add it took a good three months for me to get reimbursed for my other travel expenses. I seriously thought after leaving the interview that I wasn’t going to get reimbursed, but I’m glad it finally happened.

In terms of the interview process, you should know it starts with a video interview, in which you answer three questions (Why do want to work at RMS? Tell me about yourself. Is there anything you want us to know that’s not on your resume?). The entire video interview lasts less than five minutes. After that you get called into the in-person interview day.

The in-person interview day consists of four interviews that are done back-to-back and a presentation. Each interview is done with two employees of the company and the questions I got were a mix of typical interview questions and some really bizarre questions. One thing you should know is that the interviewers will not answer any questions you may have for them. After I realized the Risk Analyst program is not really an analyst program but more of a customer service/client relations position, I tried repeatedly to ask questions to get a better understanding of what the actual job was. Everyone’s responses to my questions were vague. And I want to stress, I was asking some pretty simple questions (e.g., What is a typical day like here? What are some tasks you do on a daily basis?). The fact that no one was able to give me a clear answer on what exactly I would be doing on a day-to-day basis was a big concern for me.

Lastly, there was the presentation. I was told to prepare a presentation on an academic topic I studied in school. I was also told before I showed up at the interview to keep my presentation to under 20 minutes. I get to the interview and I find out from the HR recruiter that the people about to listen to my presentation are not aware of the 20 minute time frame (they were told I was not given a time limit). I also found out I could have presented on any topic and that the academic requirement was more of a guideline, even though the email I got clearly stated to present an academic topic. So, I presented an academic topic; some of the other people didn’t. Apparently other people gave presentations on things like how to sing and ways to train your pet to sit.

The final two things I would add are as follows. First, I would add that this place seemed very conservative. If you don’t fit that conservative, financial type mold, then don’t waste your time by applying here. Second, you interview with eight different people who tell you their names once. Some give you a business card, most do not. The HR person should really give you a list with everyone’s name on it so that you know who it is that you’re talking to in the interview (especially when some of the interviewers have long, non-English names that you’ve never heard before). Also, it would be helpful to know the person’s name in case you want to do the proper thing and send them a thank you email after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What TV shows do you watch?   Answer Question
    • What three dead people would you have dinner with?   Answer Question
    • Why is your GPA not on your resume?   Answer Question
    • What have you been doing since you graduated?   Answer Question
    • The Race Horse Question - You have 25 horses and need to race them five at a time to figure out which 3 are the fastest.   Answer Question