Rite Aid Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

1.8

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, OR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rite Aid in April 2008.

The hiring process was started at a career fair. The HR manager got into contact with me afterwards to set up an interview time. This HR manager was very professional and asked a lot of questions about service related things that I had done in the past. They also asked about career ambitions and went over the career paths that they had. I then met with the store manager of the store they wanted to hire me on at and had another interview with the manager.

Interview Questions
  • Give me two examples of times that you had a conflicting view with someone above you and how you handled the situation   Answer Question
There was not really any room for negotiation. It was basically, "this is what we start at and you can take it or leave it"

Other Interview Reviews for Rite Aid

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Walla Walla, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walla Walla, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rite Aid in September 2011.

First hired on as Shift Supervisor. Completed application and online personality assessment first, then interviewed with Store Manager. Received a conditional offer based on background and drug screening results. Three weeks from beginning to end. For Assistant Manager position (applied internally as this was a promotion), I had three phone interviews with the store manager and then had to drive four hours to meet with the district manager in person. After a two-hour interview, I was given a conditional offer pending drug screening. Rite Aid requires drug screenings on any promotions.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever thought about committing a felony?   View Answer
    Go high, expect low no matter how much experience you have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at Rite Aid in September 2010.

Manager was thorough in asking about my career objectives and why I wanted to work for the company. Honest about the demands of the position, need to be willing to work a varying schedule, and the importance of being reliable.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult or unexpected questions. The hardest part was knowing how much I could ask for in salary since store budget is based on sales, which would be difficult for an outsider to determine.   Answer Question
    Conditional job offer> Drug Test> Background Test> Intake processing. I didn't really negotiate much because the offer was about what I was asking for at the time.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Rite Aid in December 2011.

Interviewed 1:1with SM and did not hear back from him or the DM, felt it was very unprofessional-that's retail.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

The process took 7 months - interviewed at Rite Aid in May 2010.

Well I was going to the career section on RiteAid.com but there were no postings for what I was looking for. I contacted a recruiter and he sat down and did an initial interview with me. Then I met a DM who was in the recruiter's office space, but he sadly had zero openings. I also talked to the general HR manager and he said he had openings but only down south. Not being picky at the time I said, ok lets go for it.

I drove literally 300 some miles to my store interview, I was the only one dressed up in a suit and tie in my round of interviews, but I was among older staff. I interviewed from a script that district manager had made by themselves, not the company. There really was no interview link between any of the DM interviews, they were all based on the DM so don't expect a typical packet and note writing approach. I finished, they gave me kudos from driving so far and I was told to contact them in 2 weeks they hadn't told me either way. I did contact them but the never got back to me.

So, I contacted the recruiter again asking abot openings in my area. I was in luck, there was one DM hiring in the region in my area now. I sat down with the DM and he was wowed by my strong resume and background, most of his managers had not gone to college or had tons of experience he said. I was to meet with a store manager he had to get his approval and that would be my store, I went later that week and the store manager loved me so we were set.... right? wrong. The DM basically ignored the store manager and myself about the situation for about 4 months... This totalling 6 months of trying to get my foot in the door. I called the store I was supposed to be at one day and he hired or moved someone else there, I was shocked that no one told me since I was told that was my spot. So I get on the wire and call the DM's cell phone while out of state looking for more work to figure out what happened.

Seems he forgot about me, barely remembered who I was even though I was calling his secretary once a week or two, and emailing him reminders. He then asked what store manager I went to see (that he told me to go see) and then he remembered. He said he filled that spot via promotion and forgot to tell me. He said if I can come back asap he might have a spot for me but it has to be soon. I booked my flight and came back and he re-interviewed me again, apparently he really didn't remember... He also cussed several times and made colorful remarks about how he wanted to fire the "old generation" of managers and I would be a good fit.

Be confident and ready to sell yourself more than usual, try to take control of the interview because it is informal. Once you add a "wow" factor then they basically say yes. A lot of their management staff has high turnover or just doesn't work very hard (this is what the DM said). They are big on leadership and results with low payroll, their payroll they have is 1/2 other drug retailers, so be aware.

Interview Questions
    Well my previous salary coming in was about 10k higher than what he offered. I got butchered because I didn't stand up for that. He basically offered a low wage coming in and promise of promotion to store manager in a year or so (which did not happen at all). I was also hourly, not salary. I was also told I have to work 45-50 hours to make the 10k less a year salary with overtime to help supplement my pay. No vacation first year. The pay scale here was mid 30s to mid 40s, which is low by industry. Shoot to stick to 50, they will cut you down to low 40s.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Went through interview with Store Manager, 2nd interview with District Manager, was offered job next day.

Interview Questions
    • Details about the volume and policies of last employer   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

There were a lot of questions that wanted you to share times where you had to handle poor performers, drive sales, and implement change.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any unexpected questions, they were pretty standard among retail management questions. Just know examples of when you succeeded in different formats and when you had to have difficult conversations with a team member.   Answer Question

Worked for Rite Aid? Contribute to the Community!