River Island Clothing

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.3

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at River Island Clothing.

I applied online,i got asked the regular questions in the application. (Why river island, what my hobbies are etc.). After a few days, i received an email inviting my to a "recruitment event". It says to dress in something that represents you and river island. I wore a black pant, white long sleeve bottom down shirt, with a denim jacket and a pair of loafers (really cool loafers tho lol)....Just be yourself really.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Croydon, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Croydon, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at River Island Clothing in December 2014.

Applied online through RI careers website. I attended a group interview.
    First question: introduce yourself and explain why you are wearing what you wear.
    Second part: role playing in couples (one candidate acts as customer and one as sales advisor). In team you have to choose an outfit inspired by a celebrity, then play in front of the other candidates the selling process.
    Got offered the job right after finishing the role playing.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing: you really need to talk and act as if you were in a real working situation.   View Answer
    no negotiation. It was a temporary job.

Retail Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at River Island Clothing.

I applied online and got an email a few days later saying that they'd like me to come for an interview so I then had to go onto the river island website and chose a day out of every Tuesday of the month. I chose the first Tuesday of the month because I wanted to be hired as soon as possible. I then had to wait a few weeks for my interview and when I arrived there were about 6 other people waiting too. We then went inside we had to sign in, when we sat down they asked us all to say our names and what we knew about river island. We then had to split into pairs and one of us had to pretend to be a customer and the other was the sales assistant. The sales assistant had to help the customer chose an outfit and show how they persuaded the customer to buy more than one thing eg a pair of shoes to match with the dress or a pair of ear rings etc etc. It was a really friendly environment and a really easy going group interview. I got an email the next day asking me to come to the induction that Sunday.

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at River Island Clothing.

You will have to complete an online application form like you do for most employers. They will ask you for your qualifications, experience, and basic information... then if they like you... you will be invited to a "recruitment fair"... and they will ask you to book in a slot.

If there is one position.. expect there to be around 50 candidates. I was interviewed for a new store and there were around 500 candidates for about 20 permanent positions. The recruitment fair usually takes place over a week with 2 sets of interviews each day.

There was about 20 people in my group.. and we all went into the training room. You wrote your name on a piece of paper and stuck it to your chest so everyone (and the managers) knew who you were. You then had to go round the room and the manager would pick on someone different each time to deliver an "ice breaker"... so you had to say your name, something interesting about you, and why you want to work for River Island. Everyone did this once, then we went round again saying one truth and one lie about ourselves, and everyone had to guess which statement was a lie (I said I had three sisters and a poodle or I've lived in Australia for 3 years).

You then got put into groups for 5/10 minutes and had to plan a 5 minutes presentation on how to give great customer service, and why you want to work for River Island, which you delivered to the rest of the room.

THEN, everyone individually had to stand up and say why they were wearing what they're wearing (I was wearing blue ripped skinny jeans and a cheque blouse: I said because it's on trend and similar to River Island style and it's comfortable)

THEN you got group interviewed in the same groups you were in giving the presentation.

The whole interview lasted around 2.5/3 hours! And the whole duration of the process lasted around 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    Personally, I wish I said no and took another job offer I had. Because my time at River Island wasn't good. Probably the worst job I've had to date.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at River Island Clothing in November 2014.

Well, to start us off they brought us up to the storage room where they split us up into two groups (there were 13 of us all together). From there we were given a sheet of paper with some questions on it mainly covering customer service, like what is you idea of good customer service, how would your knowledge of fashion benefit a customer when needed etc. That took 20 minutes and we did that exercise twice, and they jumbled the groups up for the second time. We then got asked about what we were wearing and why we wore it. I just wore a black dress, black and white belt, pink cardigan and pumps so I explained that I thought it were casual and formal and I added the pink cardigan to brighten the outfit up a little. It is SO important to be chatty and engage in convocation, they are looking for someone who won't be afraid to talk to strangers. Now on to the 1-1, this was probably the hardest part in my opinion, probably because I didn't prepare myself for some of the questions which is my bad! But research the business as knowing a lot about the lilacs will really impress them. All and all it was ok, and the fact there were more people there actually made it less nerve wrecking because you know they're all just as nervous as you! It's really nothing to stress yourself over, just make an effort and prepare yourself and it will be fine! :)

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you helped someone out and what reaction they had to it   Answer Question
    Tell them about any holidays you have planned!!

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blackburn, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blackburn, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at River Island Clothing in November 2014.

First there was an online application form and then I was given the opportunity to go the recruitment fair. 12 people turned up on the day to the recruitment fair, 3 guys 9 girls. We sat on chairs around a circle and first we were told this was a new interview process. We were then told to introduce ourselves and then talk about one memorable customer service experience. I talked about a shop called 'Go Outdoors' and there great customer service - it was helpful etc. Then the manager talked a lot about River Island, its history, upselling, that they wanted somebody who was very chatty and able to talk to everybody on the shop floor. We were then split into pairs and told to tell each other why we wanted to work for River Island. After this we were split into another pair and put in different corners of the room where we were meant to sell an item to another person.
    Overall it wasn't difficult, I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for River Island? Tell me about a memorable customer service experience   Answer Question

Christmas Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at River Island Clothing in November 2014.

I didn't like the atmosphere at the group interview; two ladies - a manager and a supervisor told us that we should have fun at that interview bla, bla, bla...but in fact they were looking bored; like "what are we doing here?" I'd prefer to be at home on my sofa ;/

Interview Questions
    • They asked what was the best customer service we received lately.   Answer Question

I have got a better offer.

Retail Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Thurrock, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Thurrock, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at River Island Clothing in November 2014.

I applied online, a week later I was invited to a recruitment event. I picked a date and went along. It was more of a group interview setting. There were 17 of us in a small staff room standing around a table, with two department managers. We went around in a circle giving our names, age, what were doing at the moment and any experience we had. We were then put into groups of 2's and 3's and given scenarios to which we had to give solutions. We were then given sheets to fill out our availability. One of the managers then asked to look at our passports and that was it. It was a very general interview, no specific questions asked about the role or you.

Interview Questions
    • You found a toddler on the shop floor crying, how would you deal with this ?   Answer Question

Operations Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at River Island Clothing.

I applied for the role on friday and I got a text to book an appointment on sunday. I got the interview on Monday.
    They told me to wear clothes which make me feel comfortable.
    I went and they well welcomed me, however I was quite early (25 min) and the manager told me to wait or have a look around. I waited 'till the other people came for their interview.
    It was not a group interview as previously I read on internet, by face to face one, and I was the third one.
    The girl was quite polite, however she did not seem interested in it, she actually told me they were easy and quick questions, which in a way made me feel comfortable in the other I had a though about how much serious it was(n't).
    Basic questions as tell me about your experience, my availability, why river island etc.
    Then she asked me questions as "when did your help someone and went out of your way?" "tell me wheh you completed a task" "tell me when you have achieved a task with a team?" "how would your friends describe you? or people you work for". And then she asked me if I had other questions about the company, that was all.
    She called me after 30 min telling me I got the job and to come back on Wednesday for the induction.
    I went, and everything did not seem serious to me, she wanted us to sign the contract however she did not read it or read us the policy etc. The pay was 6.31 when from the 2014 it has incresed to 6.50. She walked us around the shop and briefly explained the various rooms etc, everything really quick anyway.

Interview Questions
    • "when did you go out of your way to help someone??   View Answer

Because I was underpaid and the hours were just 8. It was too far from where I live and it did not worth. Moreover I did not like the induction and how we were explained about the job and contract. She also told us we wouldn't have been able to have a break in 6 hours, which for me would be impossible. (plus I read things on internet which made me think a lot)

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at River Island Clothing in October 2014.

We were required to book a date to attend a recruitment event. I attended mine and there a good 20 people in the staff room where the event took place. We were required introduce ourselves and then required to work as a team and answer 3 sets of questions about the company and the customer service.
    In my interview we did not do any physical activities and the event was rather... boring?