Riverbed Technology

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in February 2015.

1. Ask about basic knowledge about Network including difference between tcp and udp, what will happen if we input an url in a browser
    2. Coding problem: Given a string, kick out extra spaces

Management Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Easy- but depends on the hiring manager. In my case, the guy was disgruntled and looking for a way out. He told me the 1st week that he hated his boss and the department, but "liked his paycheck".

Hiring manager later admitted he lied and said there was no hiring bonus, there is.

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn for a QA position. At that time I was looking for positions as a software developer, not QA. I expressed interest in being a developer and the recruiter told me to give him a call. Upon calling, the recruiter persistently tried to get me to interview for a QA position.

At the end of the call, he told me I will never become a developer. He told me it's extremely hard and I don't have the skills. It's been 4 months since that call and I've become a developer. I wish the recruiter was not so narrow-minded. From what I hear, Riverbed is a great company, so I hoped their recruiters were too.

Riverbed Technology Response

Jan 2, 2015Director of Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to post this feedback. Be assured that this is not typical recruiter behavior, but it is being addressed within the team.

Congrats on your new role, and I do hope that
    ... More

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Basic algorithms (insertion/deletion), search etc. Emphasis is on following the API. One of the questions was relatively difficult that had to do with conversion of one type of a data structure to another and doing so efficiently (by using indexing). Nothing an experienced programmer couldn't do in his/her sleep.

At the time, I needed visa sponsorship, and the former OPNET was offering it. I had no room for negotiation.

Senior Escalation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in October 2014.

Internal recruiter will provide a phone screen and then will setup a technical phone screen with an engineer. Be prepared to answer detailed questions on networking especially how TCP and IP work at the packet level. If you pass the phone screen, you will be brought in and interviewed by two managers and three engineers. The engineers will expect you to understand networking and troubleshooting. You are not expected to know Riverbed products, they will train you on that, provided you understand how networks and protocols work

Interview Questions
    • Problems seen in LAN traces like TCP resets and Lost packets and possible reasons, LAN trace analysis, Questions on TCP handshake   Answer Question

Raise was not worth it since I was already at the top of their base salary limit. I expect their HR to be fair & clear at the beginning when they shortlist candidates about salary ranges. Resources at 120K+ range don't change jobs for a 5K hike; at-least not in New York metro area.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Riverbed Technology in September 2014.

I got connected via the career fair in my college. They were asking some basic questions at the booth and also asking to code a question for which they will give you a white sheet with question written on it. From me one interviewer asked to search an element from link list. I gave him the answer and then he said improve the complexity . He asked if it can be done in O(log n ) . I tried and said no. their is no way for that he just wanted to see my thinking process. and the paper had a DP problem of finding the largest sum of contiguous sub sequence along with you have to explain what you did. In F2F interview he asked basic link list questions along with why Riverbed. your prior experience and projects . One question to find frequency of every character in a page and some other basic questions.

The HR and Interviewer were very polite and helpful. The experience was good but they are very lazy in providing the results.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in September 2014.

I was called by an internal recruiter. That conversation was very brief and to the point. He asked simple questions about things like my willingness to travel, working in an office - very general. I was told I was a "good fit" and that my resume would be sent to the hiring manager.

Several days later I spoke with the hiring manager over the phone. The conversation went well. He asked generic sales performance related questions, (my success in achieving sales quotas, hunter vs farmer? Ans: always hunter, never farmer, ability to work as part of a team, etc). All very straight forward and direct. I was invited to come into the office in San Francisco to interview with the team, (Channel manager, SE and the hiring manager again).

The interviews with the Channel Manager and SE went well. They confirmed they would recommend me to the hiring manager. The interview with the hiring manager didn't go so well. I had the definite impression he had another agenda. He asked me lots of questions about how I would handle many different situations - all leading to the unmistakable conclusion that he was looking for a person who could manage complex, time consuming sales cycles in Fortune 100 companies.

Finally at the end of the conversation I tried to close him for the position when he told me he was looking for someone who had more of a "transactional" sales background, (a complete opposite of the questions he was asking). I felt I'd be duped. Afterward I received no feedback one way or the other. No one communicated anything about my application, which I felt was pretty unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you've had to manage and engage multiple layers of your organization into the prospect's company when trying to close a complex enterprise sale.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in September 2014.

I talked to them at a career fair, and one or two days later, I was offered an interview scheduled for the next week. This was an on-campus interview, since they had a satellite office where I went to school. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. The first half was all behavorial questions, asking about my resume, about my projects, etc. A little time was spent asking abour Riverbed. Then, there was a 15 minute coding portion, where I solved a problem on a paper. There may have been more, but I was nervous and didn't get past one.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Very thorough and professional during the whole process. I had two rounds of phone interview before being called on-site. There were programming questions asked over the phone as well as during the in-person interview. Robin and Kara took good care to make sure that the process was as smooth as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to write to a named pipe in Unix. Also a programming question on finding a sub-string.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Applied online. Had a call from the recruiter first and a phone screen with the VP of engineering at a later date. They then had me fly to their office in Sunnyvale where I had about 4 technical interviews and one with the VP again. Questions were mostly related to systems and couple of standard algorithm questions. There was a simple question about bit manipulation, another one about LRU cache design, a synchronization problem and standard questions like the toughest problems I worked on, etc. Finally had a talk with the VP. Overall the experience was good. Couple of employees took me out for lunch in between interviews. The travel arrangements were good.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about signals, and although I knew what signals are I didn't articulate it well. But the interviewer was really nice and indicated what is the key thing about it.   View Answer

I received an offer from another company where the work was more to my liking.