Riverbed Technology

Updated Feb 18, 2015

3.2

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Phone interview with recruiter, quickly followed-up with phone interview with hiring manager. On-site interview with 5 people. During the interview I there was a discussion about setting-up a second round of interviews.

However I never heard anything pack from Riverbed despite some emails to the recruiter asking for a status check. Several weeks after this, I was contacted by another Riverbed recruiter asking me if I was interested in the same position - I explained I already interviewed for the position but never heard anything pack. She did some checking and reported that I'm "still in the running..." yeah-right

It's been my experience when companies are this flaky and unresponsive during the interview process, they're a bad company to work for. No one should just be left hanging after and interview. Can't say I'm sorry this didn't work-out..just a sign of bad things to come with Riverbed.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in June 2014.

Was reached out by an in-house recruiter and connected with the hiring manager. Each person spoke as if they were very interested. After losing touch for a week and reminding them, the recruiter contacted me again and said they would put together a call in the afternoon. That call never came.

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in June 2014.

The hiring process was straight forward, the recruiter contacted me over linkedin and had a quick sync up of the position and what they were looking for and had set up the initial phone screen with the hiring manager.
    The phone screen was a simple programming challenge in C/C++ involving deleting duplicate elements in a linked list and though my solution wasn't perfect around the corner cases, and I was trying to fix things up, he was fine with that and had put me through the onsite.
    The onsite comprised of six interviews, normal algorithm/ds fundamentals, roughly four programming and two design and a technical chat with the hiring manager wherein I had expressed my view that I didn't do my best is some interviews and the response that I got was that they factor in a bunch of components to make the final decision. It has been two weeks and there aren't any response from the recruiter on the final onsite and I presume that I didn't get through, which wasn't a total shocker but the fact that the company which was rated one of the best place to work for had such an unethical practice towards the interviewers is quite disappointing. You may find some candidates not worth your time and that's why the phone screens are for, at least be courteous to send out the result for the interview for the amount of time that the candidate had spent towards the interviewing not taking into account the fact that we had to take the day off for the onsite as well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, just a question about cloning a linked list with an arbitrary pointer and to find an element in a matrix with elements sorted along the columns and rows.   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Riverbed Technology.

2 Phone interviews, 2 live interviews. Phone interviews were to the point, first screen by a recruiter went more technical than I expected, 2nd one was the hiring group manager - very nice, focussed and courteous. Live interviews were beyond pleasant. I met with 6 team members, each of them brought in a certain strength and angle to the interviews. They articulated clearly how the job function would interact with them, how the day to day looks like, etc. Very challenging interviews as well after the courtesies were exchanged. Not that anyone was trying to show off their knowledge or experience, but genuine questions pertinetn to my experience and releavent to the position.

I came out of the interview uncertain whether I would make it, they took their time but came up with a good offer that I could not refuse.

Interview Questions
    • How would you grow a totally stagnant business where TAM is shrinking?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell a product that you don't believe in. Would you tell a customer of known shortcomings in the product?   Answer Question
    • How do you choose where to invest in - a sinking cash cow or an unproven star?   Answer Question
    • How will you shorten time to market?   Answer Question
    Practical, Direct, no twists, fair and straightforward

Support Engineer Interview

very technical interview with lots of networking questions. coding skills and personal skills required for the position.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in April 2014.

recruiter call -> phone interview by hiring manager -> in person interview(this contains a half hour written test that would cover networking, storage, virtualization and coding)

Interview Questions
    • Mostly programming questions -- if there is a directory and multiple subdirectory, how do you get how many files/subdirectories exist in a given directory. i.e. /usr/bin   View Answer

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in April 2014.

Uploaded a resume online and got a call back from a recruiter who qualified me with 6 or 8 targeted questions. I was invited onsite to meet with the hiring manager and two other decision makers. The recruiter called me to help me prepare for the interviews. Each interview lasted 30 minutes, and delved into different aspects of my expertise. I was invited back to meet two more decision-makers and the CMO. Again the recruiter helped me prepare. The meetings were held at Riverbed headquarters, and I was shown a little bit about the office. People were really nice, relaxed, and I got the feeling they all liked working with each other.

Interview Questions
    • High-level to specific questions - a specific question was around how I would structure a large event given specific objectives.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Internal recruiter will provide a phone screen, ask basic networking questions and then will setup a technical phone screen with an engineer. Be prepared to answer detailed questions on networking especially how TCP and IP work at the packet level. If you pass the phone screen, you will be brought in and interviewed by two managers and three engineers. The engineers will expect you to understand networking and troubleshooting. You are not expected to know Riverbed products, they will train you on that, provided you understand how networks and protocols work.

QE Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Recruiter contacted initially. had to go through online test

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Riverbed Technology in March 2014.

I was referred to a Riverbed recruiter and around 2 days later I received a call to setup a phone screen. There were no technical questions asked during my phone screen, I was told what the position would entail and asked whether or not I would be able to move closer to the office. I was asked to give a brief description of my background. Two days later I was scheduled for an on-site interview the following week.

On site interview consisted of 5 45 minute interviews. During each of the interviews we went over my past experience and I was asked to solve some coding problems. After the third interview I went to lunch with the group of people interviewing me. All of them were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • How would you check if one word in an anagram of another? Some linked list traversal questions. A question involving sorting algorithms. A few pattern matching questions which required perl/python and regex knowledge. Asked for several test cases after explaining some components.   View Answer