Riverbed Technology Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Interview

Was a great interview process. Very much to the point and technical. People were nice and friendly. The process was short and painless. Was a great interview process. Very much to the point and technical. People were nice and friendly. The process was short and painless

Interview Questions

• Was a great interview process. Very much to the point and technical. People were nice and friendly   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Riverbed Technology

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Interview

Basic algorithms (insertion/deletion), search etc. Emphasis is on following the API. One of the questions was relatively difficult that had to do with conversion of one type of a data structure to another and doing so efficiently (by using indexing). Nothing an experienced programmer couldn't do in his/her sleep.

Negotiation

At the time, I needed visa sponsorship, and the former OPNET was offering it. I had no room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was straight forward, the recruiter contacted me over linkedin and had a quick sync up of the position and what they were looking for and had set up the initial phone screen with the hiring manager. The phone screen was a simple programming challenge in C/C++ involving deleting duplicate elements in a linked list and though my solution wasn't perfect around the corner cases, and I was trying to fix things up, he was fine with that and had put me through the onsite. The onsite comprised of six interviews, normal algorithm/ds fundamentals, roughly four programming and two design and a technical chat with the hiring manager wherein I had expressed my view that I didn't do my best is some interviews and the response that I got was that they factor in a bunch of components to make the final decision. It has been two weeks and there aren't any response from the recruiter on the final onsite and I presume that I didn't get through, which wasn't a total shocker but the fact that the company which was rated one of the best place to work for had such an unethical practice towards the interviewers is quite disappointing. You may find some candidates not worth your time and that's why the phone screens are for, at least be courteous to send out the result for the interview for the amount of time that the candidate had spent towards the interviewing not taking into account the fact that we had to take the day off for the onsite as well.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, just a question about cloning a linked list with an arbitrary pointer and to find an element in a matrix with elements sorted along the columns and rows.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

5 rounds of 45 minutes interview each. In person interview at their office in SF. Initially contacted by the recruiter for a phone screen. Company moves fast and is very persistent. Company is small and not in a area where there is much room for expansion beyond WAN Op.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Recruiter was from Riverbed. He was respectful and communicative throughout. They did a very good job of staying in contact and communicating before and after the interviews. The interview questions were well thought out and did not repeat themselves from person to person. It was nice not to have yet another "how fast can you code a contrived problem under pressure without time to think about it." or obscure trivia question. Most of the questions were about deep understanding and background knowlege and ability, rather than specific trivia. I felt like they wanted an engineer who understands how systems work, _and_ could code, rather than just a code monkey.

Interview Questions

• 1) How does an ISR work (All the way from the beginning to the end) 2) Data structures and approaches such as when to use a hash table, tree, list, etc. on a conceptual level   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter wanted to make sure he understood my full compensation, so he could match the offer. They gave me what I asked for.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter initially. I think they got my resume from the career fair in the college... Had a phone screen interview, went well.. I think the interviewer was dumb since he dint understand any of my research projects.. Then I got an email from him asking to solve a C test, and I think i did really well, so I got a onsite call within minutes I sent the solution via email.. The onsite started with a simple C test... had some dumb and ambiguos questions.. None of the interviewers asked my about my experience or research project. They asked a couple of questions about my course projects. They asked me some intelligent questions, about how vectors are implemented in C++ etc.. Programming questions were more focused towards the product.. Overall, the ppl there dont know how to judge a person.. and I can say that since I interviewed with 8 companies, and got an offer from 7 of them..

Interview Questions

They selected some "really" dumb people.. so i believe it is not the right place to work...

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology in November 2014.

Interview

There was an online test 20 questions related to Networking and 2 Coding questions. Expect Coding questions related to Linked list and binary trees. Followed by a Phone screening. Same kind of questions repeated and some questions related to Linux also asked. Will ask you solve the programming questions . Even though the interview was good they said the response is not positive.

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology in October 2012.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter reached me by phone. She scheduled a phone interview. And I eventually answered each and every question right. The interviewer who was prepared to ask me questions for one hour, could complete the questions in 30 minutes coz I was very quick and I answered everything to the point. I never heard back from them. I tried reaching via email and I did not receive any response. So, I called up to this recruiter and she said that I could not clear the interview but there are two other positions which might also be perfect fit. This is not the first time though. The recruiters never get back to you if you haven't cleared the interview. This is a patented characteristic of the Riverbed recruiters I guess which I feel is absolutely a very bad habit.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to find if a number is a palindrome   1 Answer

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology in September 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed on campus for software development process. No feedback for 3 weeks. After that I was called for a phone interview for a test position. Just asked me about my experience in testing. Rejected since I did not have any experience in testing.