Riverbed Technology

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Product Marketing Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Riverbed Technology in August 2011.

Interview Details – Please note: I have been told by others who have interviewed for jobs there that they had similar experiences to what I experienced. It is important that this be posted to save others from suffering a similar fate who think they have a fair chance of being interviewed.

For the past five years or more, I have seen the same listings posted on their site as well as a variety of job boards. Their marketing job descriptions border on the more generic side and surprisingly don't mention anything about domain experience which I would believe is key for a company like this.

After trying a number of times, I finally managed to contact a recruiter there. We scheduled a time/date to speak the following week. Five minutes before the interview was to take place she called me asking to delay the interview -- no problem. The rescheduled time came and went and she didn't call. I finally decided to call her and then the conversation went down hill. She told me bluntly that she already reviewed my resume with the hiring manager and he decided to pass on my candidacy before I even had a chance to even talk to them. I asked why and was given a number of reasons which showed me that this person not only did not read my resume, he was unwilling to even give me a chance.

At that point, I asked if I could show exactly where I fit the qualifications. I proceeded to show that not only did I meet the qualifications that they listed, I exceeded them. The recruiter in a rush to get off the phone told me that she'd talk to the hiring manager for me. Four hours later I got a standard "thank you but no thank you" letter -- the first one that I actually got from them.

I am thoroughly disgusted with this company and don't know why anyone would want to work with a company that won't even go through a reasonable interview process.

Interview Question – N/A - the recruiter pre-rejected me without asking anything about my background   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Very Difficult Interview

Product Marketing Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Riverbed Technology in January 2011.

Interview Details – Tough interview process makes it hard for anyone to get through. Too bad they are making it extremely hard for themselves to bring anyone on board.

Phone screen with corporate recruiter - this was not a cakewalk because she quizzed me about a lot of things. Career transitions, career ambitions, 5 year plan and so on. Anyway, I was caught unaware because I was expecting that she would be calling to set up a phone screen. It turned out to be a grilling exercise.

Phone screen with hiring boss: This was very marketing focused. What is your current role? What products do you cover? Who is your audience? What are your key messages? Then finally he let me ask some questions and invited me on site.

On site interview with presentation: This was something I didn't expect. They told me I had to come prepared to present something. But to be fair to them they did give me a heads up and told me it can be about anything. But this was not easy. I was grilled by their executive team for nearly an hour on a number of things. Questions ranged from silly to extra difficult. I could see at least one of those bums chuckling to himself as they put me through the drill. These guys must revel in watching candidates get roasted. But it went well and I got the feeling everyone was super thrilled. This was followed by face to face interviews with each one of them. Overall it very well.

Interview with VP and GM: This was a total surprise. I was thrilled they were seriously considering me for the role if they wanted me to talk to the GM. They were both phone interviews and that turned out to be big mistake. Interview with the VP was smooth. He said you are a good fit. The GM called me from an airport and I could barely hear him. Looks like I was failed by his cell quality. AT&T - Fail! . The guy calls me 30 mins before his allocated time and starts talking like he is doing me a favor by calling me early. The least this guy could do was to be humble and apologize for being early. He speaks to me for all of 5 mins before he hangs up.

I waited for weeks and didnt hear anything. Finally I heard through the recruiter they had moved on. It didn't take much to figure out it was the GM that dinged me for no other reason than he probably didn't like the sound of my phone voice.

Interview Question – Who is your audience?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Riverbed Technology

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Riverbed Technology Videos

Riverbed Technology – Why Work for Us?

Join the Winning Team Riverbed Technology and our award-winning WAN optimization solutions are changing the way organizations work. The pride, expertise, and innovation we build into our products and services are an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Riverbed Technology Product Marketing interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Riverbed Technology employees and interview candidates.