Robert Charles Lesser & Co. Associate Interview Questions

3.2

Associate Interview

Interview

After an initial on-campus interview I was asked to fill out a web quiz online. Then I was brought into the office to meet a number of different directors and also had a skype interview with the CEO.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Robert Charles Lesser & Co.

Associate Interview

Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at RCLCO in June 2013. Basic mortgage and annuity questions, finance based. There was an online test before which had basic yet challenging real estate questions and economics.

Interview Questions

• Had 5 interviews in the office lasting 3 hours. Very dull office building, people seemed stressed and relatively unhappy to be there. Good pay though so that could explain the long hours   Answer Question

I had another offer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Robert Charles Lesser & Co. (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and was contacted promptly for a phone interview. Following that had a final Skype interview with 4 employees. Overall a very efficient, friendly and transparent process. The office manager who scheduled all of my interviews responded to all of my emails promptly and was very helpful.
    The only negative was that I didn't appreciate being asked for (and having to contact) my references when it was fairly clear they had already made a hiring decision based on the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Very brief qualitative/quantitative case questions in phone interview and online. Quite easy if you have worked in real estate (or related before). Simple math generally. Technical questions included compare real estate data from various cities and make a recommendation, and floor-area-ratio calculations.
      Standard interview questions in Skype interview: describe a time you worked in a team, describe analysis you undertook, describe something you worked on that you're proud of.

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Robert Charles Lesser & Co..

Interview

1) Quantitative test (via Excel)
    2) Phone-screening
    3) On-site, "Round Robin" style interview
    4) Skype interview with CEO

Interview Questions

• No questions were entirely unexpected. First two rounds involved some quantitative analysis, and last two rounds focused mainly on culture and fit.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very honest, fair, and straight-forward.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Robert Charles Lesser & Co. (Orlando, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process took some time with 3 rescheduled interviews. There is a phone interview, online quiz, and an interview with rotating members of the office. You coordinate with the hiring manager who may not be in your physical location

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical Questions regarding steps taken with a client. Example: A developer is looking to build a 400 unit condominium in a retirement community, what are the first metrics you look at"   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Robert Charles Lesser & Co..

Interview

The interview process consisted of three steps for me. First, I had an on-campus interview with two senior level people. It was mostly behavioral; they asked about my experience, my interests, my thoughts on real estate, ect. About a week later, I was given a five question online web quiz, which tested quantitative and qualitative abilities. I didn't think it was too difficult, but I guess a lot of people are eliminated at this level, so make sure you really check your answers. A bit later I was asked to come in for a final day of interviews. I had about four interviews, each maybe 30-45 minutes. Three of them had more than one interviewer, and the fourth was a one-on-one with the CEO.

Note: There were some problems with my emails making it through the company's server, and for a while they thought I was just being unresponsive. If you don't hear back, be persistent until you get a response.

Interview Questions

• The whole interview with the CEO. He asked lots of difficult personality questions in rapid succession.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. As an senior in college, you don't have much leverage. That being said, my starting salary was good, I have no complaints.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Robert Charles Lesser & Co. in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a week later for an online web quiz composed of quantitative and real estate questions. After that was a phone interview that was very real estate focused. If you are interested in this position be ready to answer

Interview Questions

I realized I am interested in economic analysis but not to do with real estate.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Robert Charles Lesser & Co..

Interview

One short interview on-campus. Straight forward questions. A few real estate focused questions.

Asked to take online quiz. VERY short amount of time for the number of questions. The questions had to do with real estate market assessment, location quotients, interpreting charts, etc.

Associate Interview

Interview

I recently interviewed at RCLCO for a position as an Associate and accepted an offer. The interview process was very thorough as I met almost all of the DC staff after the initial application process and web quiz. I interviewed with 2 other candidates in a round robin with three rounds consisting of case questions and organizational fit questions. Talking with many of the team members I would directly be working with not only assured me that my interests matched the work of RCLCO but that I would be a good fit with the team and the work environment.

In my short time with the company, I have found that the feel of the interview with open-ended questions about industry interests and organizational fit is true to the actual culture of RCLCO. Much of the training is on-the-job, which has been very effective as every team member from the junior level to the top is willing to teach and explain small details as well as broad concepts. Every effort is made to ensure that new Associates are adjusting well and continually learning. The team at RCLCO is genuinely interested in and loves the work that they do, creating an environment that is open to challenges, collaboration, and innovation.

Interview Questions

• Case questions regarding general ideas and concepts in real estate.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Robert Charles Lesser & Co..

Interview

I initially had one 30-minute interview on campus. A few fit questions (why are you interested in this job/in real estate) and some mini-case questions about real estate (why identical apartments might be priced differently, how to evaluate potential locations for an apartment building). Then I had a Skype interview with the CEO and hiring director which was entirely fit questions (some of which were pretty difficult, but in a positive way, e.g. "you've spent your entire undergrad career studying [something totally unrelated to real estate] - what should that tell us about you and why you're here?"). Then I had a final round interview in the DC office. It was an informal coffee chat with associates, followed by two three-person interview panels and a mix of resume/fit questions and one case question per interview. Everyone was very nice and I really liked the people. They seemed to really care about whether or not I would fit at the company and enjoy the work. It was also nice to see a lot of women working there.

However, communication seemed to break down between different levels of employees. To arrange all of my interviews, I was communicating with someone's secretary/personal assistant. I told her that I had a decision deadline soon after my interview, but this apparently was never communicated to the hiring manager. Consequently, I signed with another firm because RCLCO didn't give me a decision in time. When I was offered the job a couple days later (and declined because I'd already accepted an offer), the hiring manager mentioned not knowing anything about my decision deadline. Overall a positive experience, but I wish I'd had the chance to take it through to the end and actually evaluate an offer from RCLCO.

Interview Questions

• Final round: a company wants to open a shopping mall sometime in the summer. How would you pick which dates they should open it on so the most residents are around? What data would you look at to figure that out?   Answer Question

Had a decision deadline at another firm before I heard back from RCLCO.