Robert Half Content Editor Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Content Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Robert Half in September 2011.

The first step of the hiring process was a phone screening done by a member of their HR department. She was cordial and asked the usual questions of what my qualifications were and why I wanted to apply to the job. After about 15 minutes, she said that she thought I would be a good candidate for the next phase of the interview process. She said that she would call within a few days to notify me of the next interview date. The first time she gave me an interview date and time, the day of the week and the calendar date were wrong. The second time, the time was wrong. I began to question their organization abilities. After several instances of playing phone tag and leaving voice mails, we ended up confirming the date.

The next phase was an in-person interview with three members of the group I was to join. The first lady asked typical interview questions and seemed very distracted, like she had more important things to do. When her portion was done, I offered to email her my portfolio. Her response was, "Don't bother. I honestly probably wouldn't even look at it." Her rather rude comment set me aback, but I composed myself for the next lady to come in and interview me.

She was the manager of the group and she was very pleasant. She asked me the exact same questions that the previous lady had asked. I quietly wondered to myself if these people were comparing notes to see if I gave consistent answers or perhaps they just don't have much experience interviewing people.

The third lady came in and gave me an ancient PC. She said there were three documents with spelling/grammatical errors and I had 30 minutes to correct as much of them as I could. While she explained this, she said that the computer was very old and that it was extremely slow. 25 minutes later, she still hadn't left the room because the test hadn't even loaded yet. When it finally loaded, it was so slow that even scrolling down the document would cause it to freeze.

Despite this, I was able to finish about 2/3 of the work. The third lady came back into the room and said that it didn't really matter how much of the document I finished, but that the test was just to see if I could spot inconsistencies in style, etc.

What should have been an hour and a half interview, ended up lasting 3 hours! Yes, part of it was due to severely outdated technology, but the rest is due to an alarming lack of organization. The third interviewer told me they would notify me of their decision within the week. Almost two weeks later, I called them back to follow up because I had yet to hear back from them. The HR coordinator told me that they were still trying to finalize their decisions. Yet another week later, I called again. This time, I left a message with them asking for a courtesy response. Several days later, they left me a voice mail saying they had gone forward with another client.

Interview Questions

Worked for Robert Half? Contribute to the Community!