Robert Half

Relevance Date Difficulty

Internal Communications Specialist Interview

Internal Communications Specialist
San Ramon, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Robert Half in May 2012.

Interview Details – I passed phone screen and an in-person interview, so the next step was a "writing" test. If this test is a true reflection of how the company operates, raise a red flag, because it's about 20 years behind the times. I put "writing" in quotes because this wasn't just a writing test as was advertised, but a proofreading and research test as well.

Let's start with proofreading. The instructions required you to print out the doc, and use standard proofreading marks. OK, fine. Though, I'm sure my proofreading marks have evolved over time, that, even if they were understandable, I felt like I would be deducted for not using the "standard" version. And, uh, who still needs to print out a doc to edit it? That slows down the pace of business significantly. These days, writers need to be able to review on the computer, use the Tracking Changes feature in World, email it back to the content provider, and move on to the next deadline. I'm curious how many deadlines RHI misses because it has to interoffice mail or fax proofread material. I also question who outside of this team would understand what those proofreading marks mean when they're given a doc back to edit. As for the sentences themselves... there were 20 of 'em, and none of them were reflective of what somebody might encounter during the course of editing for this job. RHI is a staffing firm and consultancy... why have this sentence: "The drapes came in three colors: Blue, purple, reddish brown. I had chose the latter because it reminded me of the curtains in the theatre down town." Or this gem: "In his three weeks vacation Michael traveled by aerophane to England in which he tried to order tea and scones like Englishmen do." If your employee communications department is writing stories with these sentences, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me nobody reads your newsletters, as they're clearly not relevant to the business. Most likely, these sentences were pulled off a Google search to test candidates on the tricky grammar situations but real-life examples would've been far more relevant, and challenging. Tea and scones... seriously?

For the writing test, every other company I have taken one for gives you the facts/data and they want to see how well you write. get it, a _writing_ test? :) RHI took a different course. It asked you to track down a recent event yourself, and then write an article that provides details you as a candidate wouldn't be privy too.

All said, it was an exhausting and disappointing 90 min. I expected more from a company of RHI's caliber.

Interview Question – see above... the "test" was definitely unexpected in terms of quality.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Robert Half

Worked for Robert Half? Contribute to the Community!

Robert Half Videos

Robert Half – Why Work for Us?

Robert Half is a leader in professional staffing services, and when you join our company, you'll be part of the best team in the business. What makes us different? For one thing, Robert Half is the most respected firm… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Robert Half Internal Communications Specialist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Robert Half employees and interview candidates.