Robert Half

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Administrator Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Robert Half in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was phone screened by a recruiter for a position as a network administrator and invited for a face to face interview. Once the interview went very well and was approximately 45 minutes long. The recruiter was friendly and thorough; she asked questions about my previous work history, education, certifications, and series of technical questions and at the end, asked if I'd had an interest in recruiting. After replying yes, she brought in her division director to meet me and I was invited back for an interview with the branch manager a week later. He asked questions mostly regarding my personality and management style. he talked to me about the salary and bonus structure and what my expectations were for success. I was given an offer letter and started the next week.

Interview Question – describe a situation in where you needed to close a potential deal with a potential client who does not want to do business with your firm or previously had a bad experience with your company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a bit. The company is pretty structured as far as what they pay people at each level. I would advise a person to be open to negotiating for more paid time off or stock options since the commission presents a strong opportunity to dictate your own earnings.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Systems Administrator Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Robert Half in March 2012.

Interview Details – First I had a brief phone conversation with the recruiter about how she came across my resume and the position she had in mind for me. When I expressed interest, she set up an in-person interview. This is a technology staffing agency, so the interview was a "candidate pre-screen" to get me into their system so that they can submit me to any job openings that might be a good fit. The office is in a high-rise in downtown Denver so I had to allow extra time to find parking. When I arrived (on time) there were about 5 other candidates in the waiting room. I signed in and then waited about 15 min before being addressed. As I waited, I observed other candidates going through the standard process: Present 2 forms of ID, take "tax credit" survey on computer, fill out a stack of paperwork. I had submitted my resume and completed a profile online already, so my paperwork was mostly complete. After I completed all of that they brought me into one of many tiny interview rooms which had a business card caddy on the table stacked with cards for probably 10 different recruiters. By this time I got the impression that they handled a bunch of candidates daily and I expected to be treated like a number. However, I was pleasantly surprised when my interviewer took a genuine interest in my situation. Although she had ultimately contacted me with a particular position in mind, the interview was designed to gather information about my skills, experience, reason for seeking new employment, and job preferences so that I could be matched to opportunities that were appropriate for me. She selected two skills assessments to be emailed for me to complete at my convenience, which she assured me were not tests but rather marketing tools. She asked if she could submit me to one position in particular and promised to follow up regularly. Not more than a few hours later, she called back to discuss a second opportunity that might be a good fit for me. Then she called again less than an hour later to let me know that the client for the first opportunity liked my resume and wanted to schedule a phone interview ASAP. If they like me and want to offer me the position, I'll be an employee of Robert Half for the duration of the contract.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the personalized treatment I received in an industry which can so easily become an assembly-line. I was also surprised by how quickly things moved. My advice for anyone else interviewing there: Allow extra time to find the building (their directions don't mention it, but it's the Chase Bank building), find parking (I parked in the adjacent structure for $8/hr - ouch!), and locate the correct bank of elevators to get you to the 8th floor. Submit your resume and complete a profile on their website ahead of time so you don't have to fill out as much paperwork. Follow the instructions on their interview tip sheet and bring 2 forms of ID. Remember that the interview is about finding the best fit for you, so be honest about your preferences to help your recruiter help you.

Interview Question – What type of position are you looking for?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Robert Half

Worked for Robert Half? Contribute to the Community!

Robert Half Videos

Robert Half – Why Work for Us?

Robert Half is a leader in professional staffing services, and when you join our company, you'll be part of the best team in the business. What makes us different? For one thing, Robert Half is the most respected firm… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Robert Half Systems Administrator interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Robert Half employees and interview candidates.