Robert W. Baird & Co. Equity Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2014

2.9

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Robert W. Baird & Co. in May 2010.

Very thorough interview process. I met well over 30 people in three days of interviews, including a dinner the night before the last day of interviews. Overall it was a great interview process that allows the team to get a great feel for you and you for the teams culture and lifestyle.

Interview Questions
  • Random curve balls by some of the people, but nothing too trickly   Answer Question
I found it was something that could definitely be negotiated

Other Interview Reviews for Robert W. Baird & Co.

Equity Research Analyst Interview

I applied through the college recruiting system and received a first round interview on campus. I met with one of the senior researchers. He was very personable and the entire interview felt more like a chat than an evaluative interview. It was about 70% fit, and 30% just your general understanding of the economy and stocks. If you have a particular interest in any stocks i.e. health, tech, finance, be sure to voice this early and show you are prepared/have knowledge of your industry.

The second round was in the Milwaukee office. It was a fairly intense day. I believe there were 5 back to back 30-45 minute interviews with various experts. I started the day off with an analytical test - think GRE Math which you complete in 30 minutes. Each interviewer is different, but be sure to know your stuff.

1. Have a stock pitch prepared and make sure you know it 100%.
    2. be ready for a lot of brain teasers like market sizing questions consulting style or just brainteasers such as - you have two candles, each burn for 1 hour, how do you use these candles to measure 15 minutes. There were at least 2-5 per interviewer for me.
    3. Be sure to know the answer to the question : why research and why Baird?

Overall, I think it was a challenging interview just due to how long the super day was. But Baird made the process very enjoyable and comfortable. I was put up in a very lovely hotel, and all of the Baird employees I interacted with were fantastic, very warm and welcoming. The firm also makes a special effort to reach out to employees and make them feel part of the family. I enjoyed the happy hour where I basically got to meet everyone from the Milwaukee office over beer and fried chicken. Something to note however, Baird does seem to be one of those firms which are a bit more traditional - about 90% of the employees I met there were white and male, and this is true for the group of 12 I was interviewing with. Not that this was at all a negative factor for me, it was just quite an interesting experience.

Interview Questions
    • While I was presenting my stock pitch, the interviewer immediately pulled up the data for the stock I was pitching and proceeded to grill me on the ratios of the stock and my analysis. Be sure to have the most up to date information on your stock and rehearse it a few times so that you seem prepared.   Answer Question

Expected work hours were about 12+ hours per day and the pay was lower than other offers I had received.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Robert W. Baird & Co. in October 2011.

The hiring process typically consists of 1-2 phone interviews and 5-6 interviews in person if one makes it past the phone interview stage. My initial phone interview was approximately 45 minutes long with a Senior Equity Research Associate. I am still waiting to see if I have made it to the next round of in-person interviews. I was told this could take two weeks or 1-2 months depending on the applicant pool. All of the folks granted a phone interview are graded and then aggregated into a general pool at which point a group of the most senior equity research members pick whom they would like to interview in-person. Offers supposedly made quickly after the in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would you value a company?   Answer Question
    • Pitch a stock (either negatively or positively).   Answer Question
    • Explain the difference between EBITDA and enterprise value. Why would you use one over the other and how do they relate?   Answer Question
    • Define free cash flow (FCF).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Robert W. Baird & Co. in September 2010.

Extensive math / quantitative exam and writing test that was very similar to the most difficult questions on the GMAT. Be prepared to discuss why you would belong well at Baird and in research as fit is a big indicator of interview success as Baird culture is extremely important. You should display a strong interest in the capital markets, in addition to the specific sector you are interviewing for, and be ready to pitch a specific stock and walk through a formal discounted cash flow, comparable transaction, LBO, or other valuation methods.

Interview Questions
    Fair and attentive to my requests

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Robert W. Baird & Co. in May 2011.

I applied online for an equity research position. I got a call about a month later from a lady with HR that quickly ran through my resume. She told me I would definitely be getting a call to set up an interview. I heard nothing and e-mailed them another month and a half later. A week after that I got a call to set up a phone interview. So I just had a phone interview with a senior analyst who told me at the end of the interview that he wasn't sure if they had an open position.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how the 3 financial statements flow together.   Answer Question
    • Advantages of using EBITDA over enterprise value in the valuation process.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Robert W. Baird & Co. in September 2010.

After an initial phone screening interview by a recruiter, I was called again for another more personal phone interview with an existing equity research analyst. The initial interview consisted of some background information and knowledge questions. The recruiter asked questions about why I wanted to work there and why I was fit for the job. The second interview was more personal and the recruiter asked me in-depth background information and then asked a few brain teasers/riddles to see the thought process. One question asked "how many donuts were sold in NYC yesterday", and another question tested your math logic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Robert W. Baird & Co. in August 2010.

The first step is to be contacted by an HR representative. This consists of a 25 minute surface scratch of your resume and some fairly stock interview questions. I was then told to prepare a stock pitch for the next round of interviews. Three weeks later I received an interview asking if I would be interested in interviewing with a current associate. The associate was kind. The interview was very informal for the first 10 minutes or so and then came a good 25 minutes of accounting specific questions. This was followed up by a stock pitch. Warning for any academics. The pitches are to be briefs not standard stock pitches. Highlight 3 summary points with justification and a recommendation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Robert W. Baird & Co. in May 2008.

I first interviewed with HR and then with two separate analysts. Have stock picks ready and be up-to-date on recent economic events.

Equity Research Analyst Interview

i initially had a 30 minute phone interview with research director. a few days later was invited to WI for interview with ~5 members of research department. also had to take timed analytical and writing tests. baird culture emphasized heavily throughout interview. few technical questions - focused more on learning about candidate's personality. be able to provide concrete examples of your desire and tenacity for the job.

Interview Questions
    • what valuation strategy would you use for companies in early-stage development of pharmaceuticals?   View Answers (2)
    negotiated bonus, start date.

Worked for Robert W. Baird & Co.? Contribute to the Community!