Roblox

Updated Nov 6, 2014
Updated Nov 6, 2014

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

Entire process was great, had a few phone screenings, and onsite as well. People were very friendly, knowledgeable, and cool. Great company overall, and smooth process. Took a couple of weeks total. Interview questions were standard, nothing surprising, I wish it was not my first interview, for I would have aced it otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Remove a node in a singly linked list, which is pointed to, in O(1). If you know the trick, its easy, otherwise, you can only do O(N).   Answer Question

Full-Stack Web Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Roblox in June 2014.

Applied online in May and got a mail from a recruiter within 10 days. Had two technical phone interviews. I was asked to write code in collabedit during both rounds and there were a other technical questions as well. The duration of each of interviews were around 45 min. Overall the interviews were a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview Qn 1: Write a program to merge two sorted arrays. Qn 2: Merging 'n' sorted arrays.   Answer Question
    • Phone interview: Qn 1: What happens when you click a link in the web page? Qn 2: Difference between an abstract classe and interface Qn 3: Printing a matrix spirally   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Roblox.

Met at career fair and was contacted a month later. The recruiter was very helpful in setting up the phone interview with their manager. But the manager failed twice to call at the predetermined time. In the end we talked over the phone while he was driving back home, very unprofessional, and was not fully attentive.
    I would advise you prepare in advance for this kind of situation.

Interview Questions
    • For a hundred round of round-papper-scissor and connect 4, which would be more interesting.   View Answer

Developer Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Roblox in November 2013.

Had two phone interviews, one with recruiter and one with manager. Went well. Came on-site and talked to a handful of people for 4-5 hours.

Overall, it went okay but I was not as prepared for it as I would have liked. They will expect you to be sharp on your programming.

Interview Questions
    • Sorting Algorithm question and another question for Strings/Arrays.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Roblox.

Pretty much sent me through a round of 3 phone interviews, made it seem like I had the job but then didn't have the funding to move me because they needed that money to hire people for the engine team instead of the scripting team.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement various data structures in LUA that exist in the Java standard library? Basic questions really all around.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Roblox.

Two phone interviews before getting into the final on-site interview. I passed the first one. I failed on the second one.

Interview Questions
    • The first phone interview is basically asking some general technique questions and used the share site to write a function that returns the first repeated character from a string. The second phone interview used the share site to write a function to determine palindrome of an integer; no extra space are allowed to use.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

One technical phone call asking about some programming questions. This was followed up with an on-site interview. During the on-site interview, three of the team members came individually and further questioned some programming skills. There were also some brain teaser questions such as "how can you detect collision between multiple objects?"

Interview Questions
    • How can you detect collision between multiple objects?   View Answer

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Roblox in October 2012.

1. A programming test through Email, and it was from a website hold by the interviewer, all kinds of tricky programming problems.
    2. A phone interview about your background and experiences. This one was nice.
    3. On-site interview. Will probably start from a lunch with the interviewers, and then meet 3 to 4 people, one at a time, and 30 - 45 mins each.

Interview Questions
    • How do you make sure a exe file downloaded by users will not be changed? (Ans: Added digital signature)

How do you add the signature? (Ans: Use a hash function to generate a hash code)

How do you add this hash code to the exec? (Ans: Use a magic number in binary data, and preserve a fixed-size space)

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Roblox in January 2012.

I received a call from a Russian chap with a heavy accent. I am a native English speaker and typically have no problems understanding accents. I've been in the Silicon Valley for years to no big deal. In this case -- it was a big deal. I could barely understand the chap interviewing me. It made me very slow to reply and I had no idea if I was answering what he was asking.

Now I am a C++ guru. I have knocked it out of the part in interview after interview in this area. This guy asked one question. I did not fully understand it. The answer ultimately required you to know to use an STL hashed-map. I was just rolling my eyes wondering "how doe these people hire anyone"?

One of the oddest interviews ever. One question and a guy I could not understand. 15 minutes tops. I already had other offers so I was already pretty turned off by Roblox.

I put Very Difficult b/c I could not understand the guy.

Interview Questions
    • Some question about storage (could not understand due to think accent)...   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Roblox in November 2011.

The recruiter somehow got my resume and approached me. The company is on the edge of spanning so it is looking for a bunch of new positions. I showed the interest on doing backend server side programming. As a result, I was arranged for a first on-site interview with the technical director. However, this interview is just a chat about my background, some general issues on the backend design. Then after two weeks, I was arranged another round of on-site interview with 4 people. The interviews did not contain too many algorithm or programming puzzles, but really some advance questions that fit their needs.