Roche Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014
Updated Aug 20, 2014

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Roche in July 2009.

I interviewed first for about 15-20 minutes with the director of research and development and then I was called for an on-site. At the on-site I interviewed with 4 principal scientists/engineers who I would be working with and a couple manager types. Got a tour of the facilities where I would be working and got a call within about 3 days to get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Do not really remember any particular questions that stuck out. Most of the questions were technical questions with a few general background questions.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nutley, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Roche in September 2009.

My initial contact was by phone, the recruiteer stated they had an open position and I was located via LinkedIN. After confirming interest and verifying that my interest was real the recruiter then sent a description of the position via e-mail. Within 2 weeks I was scheduled for an interview and met with severla diffferent people at all levels. Potential supervisors, group leaders and associates as well. At the end of the interview process I was informed that they wished to extend me an offer that day. I told them I needed 24 hours to review the offer. I called them the next day to accept the position and negotiated some finer points. HR was open to negotiation as long as it was within reason.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was technically related but not impossible to answer.   View Answer
    Roche was open to negotiation. In my particular case I was compensated for the loss of an award I would have received if I stayed 1 month longer at my previous position.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Branchburg, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Branchburg, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Roche in March 2013.

I met with 5 different individuals. The interview was about 3 hours long. The first person was a senior leader who asked the most difficult questions. He asked some general interview questions but also tested my knowledge of chemistry by presenting me with questions from general chemistry.
    The next two people worked under the senior leaders and interviewed me as a group. They were very nice and friendly, asked general interview questions and talked to me more about the work that they do and more about this position.
    The next individual was also very nice and asked general interview questions like "what is your biggest weakness" and "give me an example of a conflict you had working in a group and how did you handle it".
    The final interviewer was the manager. She was extremely nice and asked general questions like "what are your thoughts about repetitive work?".

Interview Questions
    • One of the group leaders stared asking me intricate general chemistry questions such as "if I had a pH of 12 and wanted to bring the pH to 7, what would I add?". I knew the answers but since I wasn't expecting such exam-like questions it kind of threw me off guard in the moment. So be prepared for such detailed and specific questions.   Answer Question

Senior Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nutley, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Roche in December 2012.

Resume review and full day interview

Protracted

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nutley, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Roche.

started with phone interview followed by day-long on-site interview with presentation

Interview Questions
    • scientific questions during presentation can be challenging.   Answer Question
    no negotiation needed for my case as i was happy with the offer and benefits package

Business Support Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Roche.

Was contacted by recruiter from staffing company, who met with me first and then scheduled the interviews promptly. Sat for interview first with my future direct supervisor, and then with another manager who would work closely with my future team (both back-to-back on same day). Interviews followed the STAR format and were very behavior-based. Spent more time on behavioral questions than on my actual resume/previous skills, although both interviewers were clearly familiar with my resume. Learned later that personality and perceived 'fit' with my future team were very important to the interviewers. Later, when I was moved from contractor to regular employee, I was interviewed again by the HR manager and the head of my department, although these interviews seemed more informal.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were really unexpected, if one is familiar with behavior-based interviews, but the toughest was: Describe a time when you had a conflict with a supervisor or co-worker, and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nutley, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Roche.

The interview process went smoothly and it was a warm and friendly atmosphere. My initial interview was three hours long and I was able to meet with my immediate supervisors and some of the administrative staff. I was contacted within about two weeks with a job offer, and I have been happily working at Roche for over twenty-two years. Roche is closing the Nutley site by end of 2013.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked for a difficult manager, and if so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    It went smoothly and I was very excited to become part of the Roche family.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Roche in January 2011.

3 interviews same day on site with target function
    behavioral "fit" questions
    looking for attributes more than specific experience

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time with multiple deadlines due, how did you prioritize?   Answer Question

Project Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Roche in March 2012.

I applied to this job through Purdue's Career Office. I was not called for an interview until I reached out to the HR recruiter proactively. Once I contacted her, she called me and expedited an interview for me since I was actively interviewing with other companies. This was one of my most enjoyable interviews this year. I met with five people that day, twice in pairs and finally with the top decision maker one-on-one. They treated me very well almost like I was the only person they were considering for the position. The biggest thing that I did was to describe my passion for working at Roche.

Interview Questions
    • We are need of better tracking our financial spend on our R&D projects. Can you help us with that and how will you do so?   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Roche in April 2012.

I had mixed feelings about the phone interview. They asked questions about how my major may be relevant to the job. One of the questions they asked was "What will your daily job life be like?" In my opinion, shouldn’t they be the one to tell me what daily working life there is like instead of me guessing and hoping that I am saying what they want. They never told me when they would get back to me and I have no way of contacting them.