RockYou Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

Product Manager Interview

interviewed at RockYou in May 2014.

Started with a half hour phone screen. The office interview was pretty relaxed, it lasted about 3 hours and I met with five or six different people. It was mostly a "fit" interview with a couple technical questions mixed in. Everyone is very relaxed there, it probably helps to have a similar attitude.

Interview Questions
    • What is one change you'd make to a game of your choice? Be detailed.   Answer Question

Digital Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at RockYou.

had a phone interview, which lead to a group interview a couple days later. it consisted of everyone on the team i would be working with, so it was a little intense. they asked plenty of questions about flash, but i never got the sense that they disapproved. they were just really interested in getting to know me. afterwards at the end of the interview, there was a company activity that i was invited to participate in, which i agreed to. got the offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • i dont remember specifically, but there was a bitmap vs vector in flash question that threw me off, but they didnt get upset when i got it wrong, they explained why i got it wrong and were very upbeat during the process.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at RockYou in December 2013.

RockYou came to our office and met with our product team. They asked questions mostly to the product owners, and then a very short interview with the others involving what their part in the product was. Shortly after, the people that RockYou liked had a 1 on 1 meeting with their HR about their offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is your role in maintaining your product?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at RockYou in September 2011.

Very pleasant phone interview, talked about previous working experience.
    Onsite interview was highly technical, but interviewer was willing to help and communicate the problem.

Advice to candidates:
    Stay focused and try to communicate the problem. Reveal your thinking process clearly.

People I met in this company are very knowledgeable, supportive and easy going.
    Work culture is awesome, a lot of opportunity to learn and grow.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse order of element in a linked lists.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at RockYou in July 2011.

I was contacted directly from a full-time recruiter at RockYou. They contacted me via linked in, and scheduled a phone interview with the recruiter for the same or next day. That interview consisted of questions about my history and skills, as well as a lengthy conversation about our favorite video games :)

After that, a technical phone interview was scheduled with one of their software architects. They said it would take about an hour, but it ended up taking about 20 minutes. He asked me a few basic questions about my history, a simple OO design patterns question about the singleton pattern (and how its useful specifically in PHP), and asked me how I would design the software behind a Tetris game. At the conclusion of that interview, he stated that he wanted to schedule an in-person interview with me. I got an email the same day from HR setting up the in-person interview for a couple days later.

The in-person interview was mostly a pleasant experience. It was a scheduled to last 4 hours, each hour consisting of a different set of two people interviewing me. They were all very friendly. Most of the time, I felt like I was just conversing with them about software engineering and the like. What I really appreciated is that it wasn't just questions about myself. They understood that they had to sell themselves to me as well, so half the time was spent talking about their company. They even took me out to lunch and paid for it. I was also offered all the snacks and drinks I wanted.
    The only complaint I have was the room they conducted the interviews in was quite warm.

Interview Questions
    • write a function that takes a vector( c++ lingo for an array or list) of edges, and 2 nodes: a,b, and returns true if there is a path from a to b.
      call signature would be: isConnected(Array edges, Node a, Node b).
      an edge is an object like this:
      Edge {
           Node a;
           Node b;
      }
        View Answer
    • Show how you would implement a collection class (from scratch without using php's array of course) that could do the following:
        -support push/pop
        -support key-based access (first with integer keys, and then with strings as keys, or even an object as a key!)
        Answer Question
    • how would you implement c's strcmp() from scratch?   Answer Question
    • what is a singleton? how would you implement it? how is it useful in PHP? why not just use a static class?   Answer Question
    They asked me direclty what my salary requirements were, i gave them a range. When my offer came in, they offered the top of my given range, with a substantial bonus and stock options.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at RockYou in May 2011.

I initially came through a referral. At the time, the recruiting department was backed up because one of the recruiters had left. My application was ultimately pushed through the process when I had received 2 competing offers. They have since hired another recruiter so this should help the processing time.

The interview process was fairly difficult--though they were aware I had little to no technical background, I still got asked a number of questions designed to test intuition in terms of game design, measurement, and problem-solving. One should be very familiar with how social games work both in terms of incentives for both the company and consumer, as well as consumer psychology. For example, I was asked to come up with an idea for a social game, which was the focus for one of my interviews. I was asked how my game design would address common issues social games faced. I also was given a short list of games I should familiarize myself with, which I was also asked about in my interview (why game X was designed a certain way, what effect a feature had on a customer, how they could improve it, etc.)

My interviewers also seemed to value someone who plays and understands what makes a good game, and who has an understanding of where the industry is going and where opportunities lie in the future. While the interview was one of the more challenging ones I've had, I was most impressed by the people--very down to earth and friendly, and many very experienced industry experts who were draw to RockYou to experience something new. Ultimately that was a large part in why I took the position.

Interview Questions
    • What does the "http://" part of a web address do?   Answer Question
    • What are some of the reasons that could explain why people are not coming back to your game and what are some things you could do to address this?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate, mainly because I had 2 competing offers. They made a good-faith effort to match in certain areas and beat in other areas, but were firm in areas where they for certain reasons had very little wiggle room.

Software Developer Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at RockYou in February 2010.

Originally I was phone screened by one of the developers. They had me come into their office and meet with 2 developers. They asked a number of brain teaser type of questions that didn't necessarily have a right or wrong answer. What they wanted to see was my thought process for determining the correct answer to the problem. They felt that if you can resolve the brain teaser problems quickly, then you shouldn't have any problem working on new programming languages, or new engineering problems, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Have you had to work with memory leak problems in javascript and closure?   View Answer
    • Given 5 pirates on a ship, they need to distribute a pot of gold that has 100 gold pieces inside of it. The first pirate must make a proposal of how the gold will be distributed. If he receives over 50% votes from the remaining pirates, then his proposal will be accepted and the gold will be distributed. If he receives less then 50% support, then he will be thrown off the ship and die.   View Answers (40)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RockYou in January 2010.

They asked me some fundamental knowledge of OO concepts and development techniques with an impressive brain teaser question. that is:

Interview Questions
    • There are five horses and five lane, you can compare them with a race which is allowed to 5 horses at the time. But you cant make any mark and dont know the exact result of them. You need to find out the fastest three from them. What 's your strategy?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at RockYou in January 2009.

My inital contact with the sales director was quite pleasent. She was knowledgable and very nice. I met with three indivuals. All where nice. When I first got to the place the area was very open. People seemed very quiet and into their work. a lot of people were sharing a very large table. It was maybe 25 people. People whee working out of their boxes since there was no drawers. I remembering thinking how strange that they were still using their moving boxes since they moved to the new location almost 6 months ago.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RockYou in August 2011.

I was contacted by one of the company recruiters. He and I spoke for about 20 minutes about my work experience, etc and then he scheduled me for a phone screen. The phone screen was about 45 minutes, and I did not do too well on it. I expected as much, since phone screens can be more intimidating than a face to face interview.

They agreed to bring me in for an in-house interview. The interview was scheduled for 5 house, consisting of 6 or 7 different interviewers with 45 minute slots.

The questions asked in the different sessions were not overly difficult. Fibonacci, reversing a string, etc. I felt comfortable with all but one of the interviewers. There was one that I could tell from the moment they walked in the room that it was not going to go well because the person refused to look me in the face and was hesitant to shake my hand. Two big indicators that I used over the past 5 years to gauge candidates I would interview for my old employer was eye contact and the hand shake. I was shocked by the indifference exhibited by this one interviewer, and it set the tone for a bad 45 minutes.

Everyone else was great though. I got a very positive vibe from all of the other interviewers and I could tell that they enjoyed their jobs. I have turned down better paying jobs because I felt like those places were full of programmers who didn't enjoy their workplace. RockYou just seemed like a place where the employees enjoy working.

Interview Questions
    • At your job, you get paid to attend meetings. The more meetings you attend the more money you make, but the meetings have to be at least 1 hour long to be counted for compensation. Many meetings start at the same time but vary in length. Write a function to figure out what meetings you should attend in order to make the most money.   Answer Question
    I asked for Relocation money and they gave it.