Rocket Software Interview Questions

1.3

Information Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rocket Software.

Interview

Interview process was easy, telephone, then in person. I interviewed with the team leader, and then with selected employees/team members at a peer level. I think that the interview might have been available on a Webex, but I did not use the video (and was not prompted to use it). Very friendly group of people who are positively pro-Rocket Software.

Interview Questions

• More of a culture fit interview than a skills interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The recruiter said "we will not negotiate"

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rocket Software (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Phone screen followed by in-person interview with HR rep and SVP. Right away I knew they had already selected someone else and I was filling a quota based on being told they wanted to finalize hiring someone weeks before - not an impressive thing to say.

Explained in detail what they do, but did not ask pertinent questions regarding sales philosophy and attack plans - the two interviewers could not have been less interested in a dialogue.

Interview Questions

• Very easy and disconnected questions on sales - neither person seemed interested in the answers or cared to engage in discussion - never even sent a reply email to me even though I professionally thanked them in-person and via email.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Interview

Phone interview then in-person interview

Quality Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rocket Software (Denver, CO) in January 2014.

Interview

Very limited interview.

Interview Questions

Poor company rating from previous people

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rocket Software (Waltham, MA).

Interview

One Phone and on onsite interview

Interview Questions

Interview

I was actually very excited to interview with Rocket, I have been very successful in my career at a much larger company to date and was looking for a shift to a smaller company where I could take an active role in helping them grow and grow my career and compensation along with them as they scaled.

I met with three individuals who were kind enough to meet with me fairly early in the morning. I felt all three were clearly bright however I found the first rather aloof (given his position and recent transitions in the firm I think he just had a lot of his mind). A very nice man but he seemed indifferent to me, my attempts to be interactive and engaging, and to my responses to his questions. The second individual was great, very interactive and clearly knowledgeable (I would have loved working with him as he was someone who was as passionate about Finance as I am). The last however, the HR rep, walked me through my resume and after being all smiles suddenly she said "It was [her] job to act as a gatekeeper of the culture", that I was too much of a go-getter, that it was "unreasonable to think [I] could effect change within two years of arriving at Rocket" and "unfair to think [I] could make Manager in my first five years as there are people already in line for those jobs who have been working here for longer." She then closed with "...and in my opinion you'll never make Executive here." I was stunned.

In my experience, talented people shift from larger (more structured) companies to smaller companies for reasons that are the opposite of what she was saying. Why would strong candidates go to a small company if they would suddenly be put at the back of the leadership pipeline regardless of what they bring to the table simply because they had arrived after those who were already present? A shocking revelation of apparently what Rocket thinks about talent and people management. So take note.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any particularly difficult questions honestly. We talked about how my experience would fit and some more technical finance and system points (so brush up on those if you're a little unpolished on that front). But I really feel like the key here is to make it seem like you're competent but not overwhelmingly confident (I really think it scared them as they strike me as the kind of place who have a hierarchy in place and really don't want to bring in anyone who might upset it). They appeared to be much more about cultural fit than actual ability once you past their bare minimum (which is fine, but just know you're going to be shown the door if you're deemed a "go-getter").   Answer Question