Rocket Software

Very Easy Interview

Quality Control Engineer Interview

Quality Control Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Rocket Software in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very limited interview.

Interview Question – What was your last position   Answer Question

Interview Question – Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rocket Software.

Interview Details – One Phone and on onsite interview

Interview Question – Very easy and general   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

Interviewed at Rocket Software

Interview Details – I was actually very excited to interview with Rocket, I have been very successful in my career at a much larger company to date and was looking for a shift to a smaller company where I could take an active role in helping them grow and grow my career and compensation along with them as they scaled.

I met with three individuals who were kind enough to meet with me fairly early in the morning. I felt all three were clearly bright however I found the first rather aloof (given his position and recent transitions in the firm I think he just had a lot of his mind). A very nice man but he seemed indifferent to me, my attempts to be interactive and engaging, and to my responses to his questions. The second individual was great, very interactive and clearly knowledgeable (I would have loved working with him as he was someone who was as passionate about Finance as I am). The last however, the HR rep, walked me through my resume and after being all smiles suddenly she said "It was [her] job to act as a gatekeeper of the culture", that I was too much of a go-getter, that it was "unreasonable to think [I] could effect change within two years of arriving at Rocket" and "unfair to think [I] could make Manager in my first five years as there are people already in line for those jobs who have been working here for longer." She then closed with "...and in my opinion you'll never make Executive here." I was stunned.

In my experience, talented people shift from larger (more structured) companies to smaller companies for reasons that are the opposite of what she was saying. Why would strong candidates go to a small company if they would suddenly be put at the back of the leadership pipeline regardless of what they bring to the table simply because they had arrived after those who were already present? A shocking revelation of apparently what Rocket thinks about talent and people management. So take note.

Interview Question – There really weren't any particularly difficult questions honestly. We talked about how my experience would fit and some more technical finance and system points (so brush up on those if you're a little unpolished on that front). But I really feel like the key here is to make it seem like you're competent but not overwhelmingly confident (I really think it scared them as they strike me as the kind of place who have a hierarchy in place and really don't want to bring in anyone who might upset it). They appeared to be much more about cultural fit than actual ability once you past their bare minimum (which is fine, but just know you're going to be shown the door if you're deemed a "go-getter").   Answer Question

Worked for Rocket Software? Contribute to the Community!