Rockstar Games Interview Questions

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rockstar Games

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online through a job seeking portal. The next day I was contacted and ask to complete a technical design test in 24 hours. The technical part of the test was exceedingly easy for anyone with even a basic knowledge of game programming, while the design part was a lot more subjective. A few days after I completed the test and sent it back, with a request for feedback on the test regardless of whether I passed, I was contacted again and told that they thought I "would not make a good fit". I e-mailed them back and thanked them and again asked for feedback, but never got a response.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question on the test was to write a simple Finite State Machine for a door control AI.   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Rockstar Games (Boston, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and they responded by e-mail the very next day. Sent a skills test that I had 24 hours to complete. The test was fairly easy, very basic programming questions, it took two hours at most and I was confident in my answers. I sent it back and received a generic rejection the same day. When I asked if they had any feedback, I got no response. A little annoyed that I spent the time on their test for seemingly no reason.

Interview Questions

• Use pseudocode to write a state machine that opens/closes a door based on whether it's locked or not.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Rockstar Games.

Interview

I have applied online through a job board, and they came back to me very quickly by email, asking me to complete a technical test. The test was easy, although the last question was a little bit challenging and required a bit of thinking, and a bit of time. Anyway, I completed the test perfectly - I've been programming for the last 17 years, 8 years as a web developer and I do way more challenging tasks everyday -, but I found a very quick refusal, stating there were stronger applicants. The only thing that could distinguish my test from a stronger test would be completion time. Which is not a good criteria by any means. What's puzzling is that they didn't even take the time to call and discuss the test technically. I have recruited developers in my former job and I know it is virtually impossible to assess the skill of a developer through a test without having an extensive technical discussion with him. I would rather assess a developer's capacity to analyze things and organize the resulting code rather than looking at sheer coding speed. That's not a good measure of the mind. In a nutshell, the beginning of the recruiting process is quite unique in the development industry, as they don't seem to do things in the right order, and that can be quite surprising if you're not prepared.

Interview Questions

• None of the question were difficult, only the last was barely challenging and required a bit of time to get the code right. Any developer can answer it.   Answer Question