Rockwell Automation

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Embedded Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Automation in March 2014.

Interview Details – Upload the resume and the HR contact me within 2 weeks. The phone interview consists of two parts, the behavior and technical. The HR asked general behavior question in the first , then he asked his teammate to start the technical part. Then I failed on the technical question.

Interview Question – Was asked about the use of statics but I didn't prepare for it   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Automation in September 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview for 30 minutes followed by on-site interview for 4 hrs

Interview Question – Asked questions about the Operating System, Object Oriented designing. Also asked few programs to write for C++ concepts.   Answer Question

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Automation in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was just amazing and smooth. It all started with an email by the hiring manager and a time for a phone interview was set up. I had a phone interview that lasted for about 30 minutes. The hiring manager asked me questions based on my experience and education and some technical questions based on PLCs and HMIs. I was called for an on-site interview which was scheduled for about 2 weeks after the phone interview.

I had 3 panel interviews of 45 minutes duration each. The first round was with the hiring manager and one of his team members. I was asked questions based on my prior work experience and why I wanted to work for this position. The second interview (I guess this is the only one that went bad for me) was on programming skills. Given that I did not have much embedded systems programming experience, I did face some difficulties here. Moreover, this wasn't an entry-level position (though I wish it would have been). The third round was again a mix of technical questions and personality related questions. I answered questions based on polymorphism, abstract classes, etc.

I then had a wind up conversation with the hiring manager where my availability and salary expectations were discussed.

I got a feedback two weeks following the on-site interview where the hiring manager said that they were overall quite impressed with my work experience but at the same time they needed someone with more programming skills, which I acknowledge I lacked to some extent given that this is NOT an entry level position. I feel my chances would have been good had this been an entry level position. What impressed me was that the process was smooth and they did not take long in arriving at a decision. A "no" is a good answer, better than waiting for an answer for over 2 months (I've had that experience too).

Interview Question – Just had some difficulty where I was shown some code snippets and asked to explain what the code did and if there were any issues with it.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rockwell Automation in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview was very technical. Half an hour of only programming (C/C++) questions. Then followed the on-site interview, which was taken by 8 people over 4 hours. Not so technical, mostly all questions pertaining to my resume.

Interview Question – What is a pure virtual function?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations done.

Worked for Rockwell Automation? Contribute to the Community!