Rockwell Automation

Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.9

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in March 2013.

The interview process was just amazing and smooth. It all started with an email by the hiring manager and a time for a phone interview was set up. I had a phone interview that lasted for about 30 minutes. The hiring manager asked me questions based on my experience and education and some technical questions based on PLCs and HMIs. I was called for an on-site interview which was scheduled for about 2 weeks after the phone interview.

I had 3 panel interviews of 45 minutes duration each. The first round was with the hiring manager and one of his team members. I was asked questions based on my prior work experience and why I wanted to work for this position. The second interview (I guess this is the only one that went bad for me) was on programming skills. Given that I did not have much embedded systems programming experience, I did face some difficulties here. Moreover, this wasn't an entry-level position (though I wish it would have been). The third round was again a mix of technical questions and personality related questions. I answered questions based on polymorphism, abstract classes, etc.

I then had a wind up conversation with the hiring manager where my availability and salary expectations were discussed.

I got a feedback two weeks following the on-site interview where the hiring manager said that they were overall quite impressed with my work experience but at the same time they needed someone with more programming skills, which I acknowledge I lacked to some extent given that this is NOT an entry level position. I feel my chances would have been good had this been an entry level position. What impressed me was that the process was smooth and they did not take long in arriving at a decision. A "no" is a good answer, better than waiting for an answer for over 2 months (I've had that experience too).

Interview Questions
    • Just had some difficulty where I was shown some code snippets and asked to explain what the code did and if there were any issues with it.   Answer Question

Information Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Rockwell Automation.

My perception of the people and culture was one that made me look forward to working at Rockwell. The employees who I spoke with gave me great impressions of the environment and spoke of themselves enjoying their long-time jobs there greatly.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in February 2013.

It was a 2 person interview with standard questions,highly inquisitive about knowledge of control and low voltage systems. GPA as well as coursework were major factors. They wanted to know if I had any proficiency with Oracle, then if I would have any qualms about learning the software. One of the interviewers was a Senior Project Manager while the second was from HR.

Co-Op Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in February 2013.

The first night you have dinner with everyone invovled with the COOPs. So mangers from different departments and HR. A little less formal then interviews the the next day. The next day they put you through a back to back interview process they call a "round robin". They will also give you a phone interview before all of this.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in November 2012.

Applied at my university's career fair. Received a call inviting me to a round robin interview event on site. Went through 6 interviews for different positions over 4 hours. Mostly behavioral and general technical background questions. Did not have to full on answer a technical coding question. Received an offer over the phone soon afterwards.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in October 2012.

I heard about RA from a current employee who thought I would be a good candidate. I was referred to a the manager of the engineers for my primary interview. After applying online in the University Connection section, and with my recommendation from the first interview, I was flown to Milwaukee, WI for the Rockwell Round Robin Interviews.

The first day of the round robin was a series of information sessions followed by an "Engineering Olympics" with team-oriented tasks to complete and finally a dinner + reception. The second day was a round robin interview session with four interviews in a three-hour time slot.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you did not get along with your superior. What did they do that you didn't like, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in October 2012.

Very relaxed interview process based on behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through the line items of the balance sheet and how it flows into the income statement   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in June 2012.

Spoke with a manager about possible career opportunities, although none were available at that time. Interviewer was friendly and helpful. Discussed topics such as my background, previous employers, and general descriptions of Sales Engineer and Field Service Engineer positions. I was also given the phone numbers of current employees in each position and instructed to contact them in order to become familiar with their day to day responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • What technical skills are you familiar with? Do you have any experience with PLC's?   Answer Question

Vice President Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in June 2012.

Phone screen with recuiter, then full day of one on ones with both HR and Staff members

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving your current employer   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rockwell Automation in May 2012.

The interview process was very good, happened quite fast and had great support from HR. As a college student, I ended up interviewing in late May, so they seemed to have expedited the whole process to make sure I would start my internship on time. The interview itself consisted of one HR generalist and two employees from the department in which my position was listed for. Had a good time answering questions because it was a very relaxed environment, I did not feel pressured and the people were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your weaknesses and how are you working on them?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation available, but there is not much to negotiate as an intern, so this is perfectly fine.