Rockwell Collins

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Materials & Process Engineer Interview

Senior Materials & Process Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in May 2014.

Interview Details – As a former employee who was excessed when a division closed, I applied on the company site for a position similar to what I had held for nearly 10 years. A couple of weeks later, i was surprised to get a call from the hiring manager (and not HR) to come in for an interview.
The interview was the following week and consisted of the hiring manager and 2 other engineers in the department. It consisted of my going over my history and what I had accomplished in my former position, followed by the standardized HR questions that assure them that you are mentally stable and not likely to hurt anyone. The interview closed with the statement that they had 4 others to interview and would be coming to a decision by the end of the following week. Basically, that is code for "Thanks for coming in. We'll be hiring someone else."
The Friday of the following week I received a call from one of the HR recruiters. He wanted to know if I had had an interview yet, because I was on his list of people to set up for an interview. When I told him I had already been interviewed by the hiring manager, he let out an audible sigh of relief and said that was good because he had just gotten the paperwork to hire someone else for the position. Way to stay in the loop, HR!

Interview Question – Standard questions like "How would you deal with peer that wasn't pulling his/her weight and making you cover their shortcomings?"   Answer Question

Publications Interview

Publications
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in January 2012.

Interview Details – I have been on multiple interviews with no offers. I was told that no favoritism is shown in the hiring practice. I find this to be a lie. I have seen multiple times people get hired under the table in secret interviews before the job posting went out. Happens all the time.

Interview Question – Where did you go to college?   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview Details – Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming, as well as very interested in what they had to do. I had an onsite interview in Cedar Rapids, and felt very much like a tight knit group that were passionate about their product. The complex is big, but everyone seemed to know each other. The process itself was long, but I expected it to last most of the day. About 6 hours of questions about technical and behavioral question, most of which were your typical "name a time when..."

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to convince team members to be motivated   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Intern Interview

Software Intern
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process went quickly because I was referred by another employee. I had a quick interview with the hiring manager and was offered the job right away. The interview didn't ask many technical questions because the interviewer was already familiar with my educational and work experience. Follow up with the HR department took longer. There was quite a bit of paper work to complete, along with a drug test.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. The interview was mostly about personality and negotiating start and end dates.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very friendly process. Enjoyed talking to everybody. HR was fast

Interview Question – It was more how I will fit with the rest of team. No hard technical questions per se   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in March 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process was pretty laid back and enjoyable. Met with a number of engineers to talk about various topics. Engineers were fairly forth-coming about the specifics of the job.

Interview Question – There were some pretty unexpected programming questions, specifically with embedded systems and the C programming language.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applying online is a horrific process, the system is antiquated and the amount of questions to be answered are extensive. Once I got my resume submitted, I waited several days and was contacted by a recruiter via email. We exchanged several emails, and I was forwarded to the manager. It took over 6 weeks before the manager contacted me. I then had a plant visit, interviewed with a panel of potential peers, the hiring manager and 2 other managers. After about 4 weeks I received an offer. Unfortunately, because it took so long, I had accepted another offer and started by then.

Interview Question – It was dd, there were very few questions, it was mostly the managers talking about the role. I simply walked through my resume.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took too long to receive an offer.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in September 2009.

Interview Details – It was more personality based. I accepted a job at RC right out of college and they seemede happy with my academic records. It wasn't technical at all.

Negotiation Details – I was fresh out of school and was dumb. It was in 2008 at the height of the Great Recession so I didn't negotiate very much. They gave me an offer based on my school's ranking which workout to be 55k at that time however, they did give me a 1.2k sign on bonus and a 5k relocation package that I didn't have to submit any receipts for, so was sweet.

Principal Account Manager Ground, Fixed Site & Maritime Interview

Principal Account Manager Ground, Fixed Site & Maritime
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in November 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted application on line, then a Rockwell Collins recuiter called me for a phone interview. It took a total of about 3 months of phone interviews a dinner with an employee, then requested to travel to Cedar Rapids for one on one interviews at first they had 3 folks lined up, which begame five since I corrected one of the interviews.

Interview Question – That they had to interview four others before they could decide, I was surprised at that and wasn't exspecting it. I was told until I asked if I would be hired that day if the other interviews went as good as the first. I corrected slides of the interviewer who was showing me Military Test commands and locations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Cut and dry, they gave me a bit more than I asked for and indicated that a bonus would be coming if the company did well doing the FY. Drug and background checks had to be completed that day.

Engineering Project Specialist Interview

Engineering Project Specialist
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted within two weeks by a recruiter. She asked me to come in for an in person interview with the hiring manager. My interview lasted about 90 minutes. The hiring manager asked me about my past few jobs listed on my resume. He asked me about which "tools" (aka: software) I was familiar with and asked me to rank (1-5) my level of expertise. After about 35 minutes an Engineering Manager joined the interview and asked me questions on how I handled difficult situations. He also asked me a lot of questions on how well I work with engineers. It was a pretty easy interview. I have been told by others it is more typical to have a panel of people in the interview that would include more than one hiring manager. I received a call within 20 minutes after the meeting offering me the job.

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult engineer that is not responding to your action item requests? In what situation would you escalate and issue to the Engineering Manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried asking for more money but was told by the recruiter they do not include past overtime rates in a full time Engineering Project Specialist salary.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!