Rockwell Collins

2.6

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins in November 2014.

Initially spoke with a Rockwell Collins recruiter over the phone. She took my information and asked me a few basic questions about my current job and what my job interests were. She recommended a few positions and had me complete the applications and submit my resume to the Rockwell Collins careers website.
    After a few days the hiring managers reviewed my application and resume. I was then contacted by the recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 of the engineering managers. We talked about my resume and what type of work I was interested in. Approximately 30 minutes after the phone interview I received an email that I was selected for an onsite interview.
    The onsite interview was scheduled for 4.5 hours with a lunch. The first 15 minutes was a preview and plan for the day. The next hour was given to me to sell myself and provide further detail of my relevant experience to a group of 6 engineering managers. The rest of the day was a series of individual managers and engineers interviewing me, lunch, and a tour of the facility.
    All of the people I interviewed with were pleasant and professionally. I felt very comfortable during the entire onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a technical problem you had to solve and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Dexpending on position, may be just a phone interview or could include assessments. Average process. Slow to keep you informed on progress and status. Stay on top of your own follow through.

Interview Questions
    • Questions focus on teamwork, innovation and strategic thinking. Extra points for execution skills.   View Answer
    Very little room for negotiations. Stay strong and they will work a little. Different at the Sr. Level.

Senior Materials & Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins in May 2014.

As a former employee who was excessed when a division closed, I applied on the company site for a position similar to what I had held for nearly 10 years. A couple of weeks later, i was surprised to get a call from the hiring manager (and not HR) to come in for an interview.
    The interview was the following week and consisted of the hiring manager and 2 other engineers in the department. It consisted of my going over my history and what I had accomplished in my former position, followed by the standardized HR questions that assure them that you are mentally stable and not likely to hurt anyone. The interview closed with the statement that they had 4 others to interview and would be coming to a decision by the end of the following week. Basically, that is code for "Thanks for coming in. We'll be hiring someone else."
    The Friday of the following week I received a call from one of the HR recruiters. He wanted to know if I had had an interview yet, because I was on his list of people to set up for an interview. When I told him I had already been interviewed by the hiring manager, he let out an audible sigh of relief and said that was good because he had just gotten the paperwork to hire someone else for the position. Way to stay in the loop, HR!

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions like "How would you deal with peer that wasn't pulling his/her weight and making you cover their shortcomings?"   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming, as well as very interested in what they had to do. I had an onsite interview in Cedar Rapids, and felt very much like a tight knit group that were passionate about their product. The complex is big, but everyone seemed to know each other. The process itself was long, but I expected it to last most of the day. About 6 hours of questions about technical and behavioral question, most of which were your typical "name a time when..."

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to convince team members to be motivated   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rockwell Collins in December 2013.

Applying online is a horrific process, the system is antiquated and the amount of questions to be answered are extensive. Once I got my resume submitted, I waited several days and was contacted by a recruiter via email. We exchanged several emails, and I was forwarded to the manager. It took over 6 weeks before the manager contacted me. I then had a plant visit, interviewed with a panel of potential peers, the hiring manager and 2 other managers. After about 4 weeks I received an offer. Unfortunately, because it took so long, I had accepted another offer and started by then.

Interview Questions
    • It was dd, there were very few questions, it was mostly the managers talking about the role. I simply walked through my resume.   Answer Question

Took too long to receive an offer.

Engineering Project Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins.

I applied online and was contacted within two weeks by a recruiter. She asked me to come in for an in person interview with the hiring manager. My interview lasted about 90 minutes. The hiring manager asked me about my past few jobs listed on my resume. He asked me about which "tools" (aka: software) I was familiar with and asked me to rank (1-5) my level of expertise. After about 35 minutes an Engineering Manager joined the interview and asked me questions on how I handled difficult situations. He also asked me a lot of questions on how well I work with engineers. It was a pretty easy interview. I have been told by others it is more typical to have a panel of people in the interview that would include more than one hiring manager. I received a call within 20 minutes after the meeting offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult engineer that is not responding to your action item requests? In what situation would you escalate and issue to the Engineering Manager?   Answer Question
    I tried asking for more money but was told by the recruiter they do not include past overtime rates in a full time Engineering Project Specialist salary.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Initial phone screen. Then they flew me into the HQ for a round of interviews. Which was generally easy and the interviewers seemed to know the stuff they do. No very technical interview.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated a higher salary scale. If you quote a competing offer they try to match it. Take as much as possible during negotiation phase because after there is very marginal increase in salaries.

Senior SAP Business Integration Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins in July 2013.

I applied online. If you are an international and mention so in the online form, the system will automatically reject you.
    Had a call with HR and discussed sponsorship details, salary expectations, experience, resume updates etc.
    Phone interview with team manager and Solution Architect. It was partially technical, basically walked through my resume.
    On site interview in Cedar Rapids. Very professional and warm people. It was a whole day interview. Spent one hr with the manager, one hour with the solution architect, one hour with the rest of the team, one hour lunch, 30 mins with boss's boss and 30 mins with the IT director. Most of the questions were about my previous experiences, difficult situations etc.
    Everyone warned me Cedar Rapids is a very cold place.

I could notice that most of the people were selling the position based on culture of the company and possible activities in town instead of the position itself. Soon I realized that they did that because Cedar Rapids is a terrible place for single young people. Best suited for families.

Interview Questions
    I tried to negotiate for immigration related topics but they didn't change. I did not negotiate for salary, but later learnt I could have asked for about 10 K more than what I get.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Rockwell Collins in October 2012.

Phone Screening-2 and On site

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins in September 2012.

Recruiters were very well acquainted with the discipline and various engineering specialties needed to completely describe the requirements for the position and understand my skill set. Throughout the interview process everyone was responsive polite and engaging. I never felt like I was in a "process". Thorough notes were taken and passed to the hiring manager, so I never had to repeat myself about goals, desires or prerequisites. Application paperwork was not onerous, took me about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was translating between my experience and the Rockwell Collins vernacular. The company has a very strong corporate culture, and some of their terminology was difficult to decipher from context.   Answer Question
    The recruiter was able to candidly indicate which parts of the offer were flexible and which could not be modified.