Rockwell Collins Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.6

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview

Contacted by Recruiter for phone screen, a week later was asked to come in for a formal interview to meet with three people. I was really impressed with their recruiting process and efficiency at this point. I met each person for 1 hour each, making it a 3 hour interview. When I asked about the HR culture, I was told it's competitive - meaning locals aren't thrilled about them hiring candidates from other areas or backgrounds, but "they're working on it". The Hiring Manager stated that he doesn't micromanage, but then later told me that he monitors how many calls recruiters are making each day. Overall, I got the impression that they have a staffing agency mentality instead of a team of corporate recruiters. It was disheartening to receive a rejection email after the amount of time I spent with them. I would have expected a phone call. Especially since they monitor calls I found this to be really ironic..

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked on a large project and it failed.   Answer Question
    • Prioritize these tasks ...   Answer Question
    • General questions about work experience..walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was extremely organized. I applied online in January 2015 and received an email from HR in the second week of February 2015. Phone Interview for one hour with hiring manager and other two team members was set-up. Resume walk-through and past job / team-work experiences were asked. Was called On-Site for Super Day on March 1st along with 26 other students interviewing for Software and System Engineering positions.

Super Day Highlights:

5 interviews back-to-back for 1 hour each. Met 4 hiring managers and 1 hour lab tour with the current software and system engineers.

Managers asked questions generally behavioral and managerial like
    - Tell us about you
    - Past experience of working in teams
    - Why do you want to work for Rockwell Collins? ( This question was asked 4 times)
    - Why do you want to work in Embedded Systems?
    - SDLC Methodolgies - SDLC vs Agile(Scrum)
    - Difference between Verification & Validation?
    - What qualities should a leader have?
    - If given a long C code, how would you understand it?
    - How did you tackle a situation when your manager gave you the work you did not like ? Tell us the
      exact conversation you had?
    - What is you testing strategy?
    - How do you keep yourself up with new technologies?
    - What are your strength and weaknesses?
    - Tell us about your past events where you were leader?
    - How do you work under pressure?
    - How do you handle multi-tasking? What is your method to work on multiple tasks?

All the interviewers were very very nice. There were 4 round. Each round had one hiring manager and one team member.

HR Team was pretty awesome and very helpful. They made excellent arrangements for travel and logistics. Lunch and Dinner networking with current employees, alumni, and a senior leader.

Software Engineer I Interview

Interview

Neutral. Were impressed by skills acquired at Orbis. Path for advancement appeared positive. Organizational structure appeared extremely structured. Interviews were conducted by a number of persons from different organizations. It was a little intimidating but Orbis had done the same so I was somewhat prepared. However, it is a large organization and I would prefer to work for a mid-size organization.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking for another job? What are your interests-- short term and long term? What would you like to be doing 5 years from now?   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Richardson, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a panel interview with an Engineering Manager, Sr Engineer, and Design Manager. All three were very polite and professional, but it was never stuffy and never uncomfortable. They were good humored adn asked a series of HR formulated questions. They were definitely easily answered for my level of experience but may have been tricky for an entry level designer. After the questions and general discussion about what they do and my professional experience, I sat down with the Sr. Engineer and demonstrated my skills in SolidWorks. All in all, a it was a very pleasant interview, one of the very few that I actually enjoyed.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

Was mostly behavioral ,had three rounds of Interview with different managers. Questions seemed to be testing more about the over all team skills .How you would behave in case of different situations.

Remember that ,if you can show interest in the company and show that you are willing learn on your own.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview

Applied Online and received a call for scheduling phone Interview.There were three interviewers on phone and the duration was 30 minutes.Questions were about company,behavioral,academic projects.
    Have some explanation ready before the phone interview for behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions like what motivates you to work, situation where you had a conflict with colleagues and how you solved it, questions from resume.Technical questions on projects, role in the project, about company.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview

Asked a lot of if this happened, what would you do. asked about your previous roles, why you would leave, etc. left with no clue if you were getting a offer or not. quick tour, and a bit on the job

Interview Questions

• Why you leaving your current job   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online through the career section on their website and received an invitation for a phone screen about 2 weeks later.

In the phone screen (with two managers) I was asked about my career interests, some projects on my resume, behavioral questions (e.g. greatest strength/weakness, what was a difficult situation for you, etc.), and then I got to ask them my questions. Upon conclusion of the phone screen (which was about 45 minutes total) I was immediately offered an on-site interview scheduled for about 2 weeks later.

For the on-site interview, I was offered overnight stay at a hotel (I declined), breakfast with an "ambassador" (friendly realtor from the area), was interviewed by two managers (the same from before), got a tour of the labs by the current engineer group I would be working with, and went to lunch at a nearby sports bar. All travel/stay/food expenses were reimbursed.

The on-site interview was mostly more behavioral questions similar to the phone interview and the most technical questions required explaining pointers, stack, and other basic programming concepts.

It took about 2 weeks for the HR department and managers to coordinate offer details.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview

Applied online got a call 2 weeks later the recruiter asked just one question how do you find a fit with this role considering your current work duties and i answered the question then he says well that answers my question, i was told that i will be contacted by email to schedule an interview with the hiring manager 2 weeks later i was told in an email that i was no longer under consideration, very upsetting process i must say

Interview Questions

• how do you find a fit with this role considering your current work duties ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I had applied online on their portal and I was invited for a telephonic interview. Most of the questions were related to software development lifecycle and requirement gathering. They asked me about one of my project and what I did in that project, about requirement gathering, problems we faced, testing etc.