Rockwell Collins

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applying online is a horrific process, the system is antiquated and the amount of questions to be answered are extensive. Once I got my resume submitted, I waited several days and was contacted by a recruiter via email. We exchanged several emails, and I was forwarded to the manager. It took over 6 weeks before the manager contacted me. I then had a plant visit, interviewed with a panel of potential peers, the hiring manager and 2 other managers. After about 4 weeks I received an offer. Unfortunately, because it took so long, I had accepted another offer and started by then.

Interview Question – It was dd, there were very few questions, it was mostly the managers talking about the role. I simply walked through my resume.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took too long to receive an offer.

Sales Interview

Sales
Wichita, KS

I applied online - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in November 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty typical, submitted application, was a previous employee there. 1 telephone interview.

Interview Question – When do you think you'll peak in your career?   View Answer

Principal Operations Manager Interview

Principal Operations Manager
Melbourne, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in December 2013.

Interview Details – My 1st and only interview with them was the site visit which I found odd as I lived 500 miles away. I met with HR for 1 hr, then with peers (1 hr) and finally with GM who would be my boss. I found all of the people to be very pleasant and professional.

Interview Question – Their process was very structured and didn't allow very much time for asking questions. They were required to ask typical "canned" questions and wanted examples for all responses. Nothing out of the usual...   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in September 2009.

Interview Details – It was more personality based. I accepted a job at RC right out of college and they seemede happy with my academic records. It wasn't technical at all.

Negotiation Details – I was fresh out of school and was dumb. It was in 2008 at the height of the Great Recession so I didn't negotiate very much. They gave me an offer based on my school's ranking which workout to be 55k at that time however, they did give me a 1.2k sign on bonus and a 5k relocation package that I didn't have to submit any receipts for, so was sweet.

Electronics Technician Interview

Electronics Technician

Interviewed at Rockwell Collins

Interview Details – Be prepared to take a test of your knowledge of electronics, mathematics, mechanics, and physics. You must score 70% and above. Sounds easy, however it is not an easy test. You will be shown the engineering labs and the manufacturing complex. You will see the magnitude of the entire engineering and production processes.

Interview Question – I would expect a ethics's based question or questions in which the answer would be one that would give the interviewer a feeling that he/she can trust you to "build trust". "Build trust" and "integrity", are company mottoes. You may be asked what you would do if you knew someone was doing something that was unethical.   Answer Question

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Senior Design Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in August 2009.

Interview Details – I answered an ad in Career Builders. I received a telephone inquiry and a subsequent telephone interview. An interview morning was set-up and I was interviewed by Human Resources, the Lead department engineer, my possible future boss, and a manufacturing representative. I was called back for another interview with two engineers from the department I would be working with.

Interview Question – Describe your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Principal Account Manager Ground, Fixed Site & Maritime Interview

Principal Account Manager Ground, Fixed Site & Maritime
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in November 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted application on line, then a Rockwell Collins recuiter called me for a phone interview. It took a total of about 3 months of phone interviews a dinner with an employee, then requested to travel to Cedar Rapids for one on one interviews at first they had 3 folks lined up, which begame five since I corrected one of the interviews.

Interview Question – That they had to interview four others before they could decide, I was surprised at that and wasn't exspecting it. I was told until I asked if I would be hired that day if the other interviews went as good as the first. I corrected slides of the interviewer who was showing me Military Test commands and locations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Cut and dry, they gave me a bit more than I asked for and indicated that a bonus would be coming if the company did well doing the FY. Drug and background checks had to be completed that day.

Engineering Project Specialist Interview

Engineering Project Specialist
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted within two weeks by a recruiter. She asked me to come in for an in person interview with the hiring manager. My interview lasted about 90 minutes. The hiring manager asked me about my past few jobs listed on my resume. He asked me about which "tools" (aka: software) I was familiar with and asked me to rank (1-5) my level of expertise. After about 35 minutes an Engineering Manager joined the interview and asked me questions on how I handled difficult situations. He also asked me a lot of questions on how well I work with engineers. It was a pretty easy interview. I have been told by others it is more typical to have a panel of people in the interview that would include more than one hiring manager. I received a call within 20 minutes after the meeting offering me the job.

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult engineer that is not responding to your action item requests? In what situation would you escalate and issue to the Engineering Manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried asking for more money but was told by the recruiter they do not include past overtime rates in a full time Engineering Project Specialist salary.

Principal Subcontract Program Manager Interview

Principal Subcontract Program Manager
Richardson, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in September 2009.

Interview Details – It was a typical interview process with an initial phone interview with the hiring manager followed by a 2 hour panel interview with several other managers in the department. Type of interview was behavioral. They wanted multiple examples of each question. Suggest using the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action & Result).

Negotiation Details – I took the job despite the recruiter's offer. Not much fun, I was low-balled. Basically offered me the same salary I was making at another large defense contractor. I was upfront with the hiring manager about my salary requirements and he understood. It seemed the recruiter was trying to strong-arm into a low salary to improve his metrics or something. I called the hiring manager back and told him if they couldn't work with my requirements that I was not able to accept the job, the next day I got a new offer that reflected my salary requirements.

Very Easy Interview

Supply Chain Quality Engineering Co-op Interview

Supply Chain Quality Engineering Co-op

Interview Details – Applied got a call for an interview two months later. The interview was cake. It wasn't a interview the person I interviewed with was just telling me the things that impressed him on my resume and gave me a chance to ask questions about the job and location etc.

Negotiation Details – No negotiations fam buzz. You'll like the offer