Rockwell Collins Interview Questions in Iowa

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.6

Senior Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in May 2015.

Interview

3 round robin interview, then 2 round robin interview the following week by team. I was interviewed by 9 people overall, peers, managers and director. It was nice to get to know your potential team.

Interview Questions

• 3 round robin interview, then 2 round robin interview the following week by team. I was interviewed by 9 people overall, peers, managers and director.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was extremely organized. I applied online in January 2015 and received an email from HR in the second week of February 2015. Phone Interview for one hour with hiring manager and other two team members was set-up. Resume walk-through and past job / team-work experiences were asked. Was called On-Site for Super Day on March 1st along with 26 other students interviewing for Software and System Engineering positions.

Super Day Highlights:

5 interviews back-to-back for 1 hour each. Met 4 hiring managers and 1 hour lab tour with the current software and system engineers.

Managers asked questions generally behavioral and managerial like
    - Tell us about you
    - Past experience of working in teams
    - Why do you want to work for Rockwell Collins? ( This question was asked 4 times)
    - Why do you want to work in Embedded Systems?
    - SDLC Methodolgies - SDLC vs Agile(Scrum)
    - Difference between Verification & Validation?
    - What qualities should a leader have?
    - If given a long C code, how would you understand it?
    - How did you tackle a situation when your manager gave you the work you did not like ? Tell us the
      exact conversation you had?
    - What is you testing strategy?
    - How do you keep yourself up with new technologies?
    - What are your strength and weaknesses?
    - Tell us about your past events where you were leader?
    - How do you work under pressure?
    - How do you handle multi-tasking? What is your method to work on multiple tasks?

All the interviewers were very very nice. There were 4 round. Each round had one hiring manager and one team member.

HR Team was pretty awesome and very helpful. They made excellent arrangements for travel and logistics. Lunch and Dinner networking with current employees, alumni, and a senior leader.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

Was mostly behavioral ,had three rounds of Interview with different managers. Questions seemed to be testing more about the over all team skills .How you would behave in case of different situations.

Remember that ,if you can show interest in the company and show that you are willing learn on your own.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online through the career section on their website and received an invitation for a phone screen about 2 weeks later.

In the phone screen (with two managers) I was asked about my career interests, some projects on my resume, behavioral questions (e.g. greatest strength/weakness, what was a difficult situation for you, etc.), and then I got to ask them my questions. Upon conclusion of the phone screen (which was about 45 minutes total) I was immediately offered an on-site interview scheduled for about 2 weeks later.

For the on-site interview, I was offered overnight stay at a hotel (I declined), breakfast with an "ambassador" (friendly realtor from the area), was interviewed by two managers (the same from before), got a tour of the labs by the current engineer group I would be working with, and went to lunch at a nearby sports bar. All travel/stay/food expenses were reimbursed.

The on-site interview was mostly more behavioral questions similar to the phone interview and the most technical questions required explaining pointers, stack, and other basic programming concepts.

It took about 2 weeks for the HR department and managers to coordinate offer details.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in November 2014.

Interview

Initially spoke with a Rockwell Collins recruiter over the phone. She took my information and asked me a few basic questions about my current job and what my job interests were. She recommended a few positions and had me complete the applications and submit my resume to the Rockwell Collins careers website.
    After a few days the hiring managers reviewed my application and resume. I was then contacted by the recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 of the engineering managers. We talked about my resume and what type of work I was interested in. Approximately 30 minutes after the phone interview I received an email that I was selected for an onsite interview.
    The onsite interview was scheduled for 4.5 hours with a lunch. The first 15 minutes was a preview and plan for the day. The next hour was given to me to sell myself and provide further detail of my relevant experience to a group of 6 engineering managers. The rest of the day was a series of individual managers and engineers interviewing me, lunch, and a tour of the facility.
    All of the people I interviewed with were pleasant and professionally. I felt very comfortable during the entire onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a technical problem you had to solve and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA).

Interview

Dexpending on position, may be just a phone interview or could include assessments. Average process. Slow to keep you informed on progress and status. Stay on top of your own follow through.

Interview Questions

• Questions focus on teamwork, innovation and strategic thinking. Extra points for execution skills.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiations. Stay strong and they will work a little. Different at the Sr. Level.

Senior Materials & Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in May 2014.

Interview

As a former employee who was excessed when a division closed, I applied on the company site for a position similar to what I had held for nearly 10 years. A couple of weeks later, i was surprised to get a call from the hiring manager (and not HR) to come in for an interview.
    The interview was the following week and consisted of the hiring manager and 2 other engineers in the department. It consisted of my going over my history and what I had accomplished in my former position, followed by the standardized HR questions that assure them that you are mentally stable and not likely to hurt anyone. The interview closed with the statement that they had 4 others to interview and would be coming to a decision by the end of the following week. Basically, that is code for "Thanks for coming in. We'll be hiring someone else."
    The Friday of the following week I received a call from one of the HR recruiters. He wanted to know if I had had an interview yet, because I was on his list of people to set up for an interview. When I told him I had already been interviewed by the hiring manager, he let out an audible sigh of relief and said that was good because he had just gotten the paperwork to hire someone else for the position. Way to stay in the loop, HR!

Interview Questions

• Standard questions like "How would you deal with peer that wasn't pulling his/her weight and making you cover their shortcomings?"   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA).

Interview

Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming, as well as very interested in what they had to do. I had an onsite interview in Cedar Rapids, and felt very much like a tight knit group that were passionate about their product. The complex is big, but everyone seemed to know each other. The process itself was long, but I expected it to last most of the day. About 6 hours of questions about technical and behavioral question, most of which were your typical "name a time when..."

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to convince team members to be motivated   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in December 2013.

Interview

Applying online is a horrific process, the system is antiquated and the amount of questions to be answered are extensive. Once I got my resume submitted, I waited several days and was contacted by a recruiter via email. We exchanged several emails, and I was forwarded to the manager. It took over 6 weeks before the manager contacted me. I then had a plant visit, interviewed with a panel of potential peers, the hiring manager and 2 other managers. After about 4 weeks I received an offer. Unfortunately, because it took so long, I had accepted another offer and started by then.

Interview Questions

• It was dd, there were very few questions, it was mostly the managers talking about the role. I simply walked through my resume.   Answer Question

Took too long to receive an offer.

Engineering Project Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within two weeks by a recruiter. She asked me to come in for an in person interview with the hiring manager. My interview lasted about 90 minutes. The hiring manager asked me about my past few jobs listed on my resume. He asked me about which "tools" (aka: software) I was familiar with and asked me to rank (1-5) my level of expertise. After about 35 minutes an Engineering Manager joined the interview and asked me questions on how I handled difficult situations. He also asked me a lot of questions on how well I work with engineers. It was a pretty easy interview. I have been told by others it is more typical to have a panel of people in the interview that would include more than one hiring manager. I received a call within 20 minutes after the meeting offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a difficult engineer that is not responding to your action item requests? In what situation would you escalate and issue to the Engineering Manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried asking for more money but was told by the recruiter they do not include past overtime rates in a full time Engineering Project Specialist salary.