Rockwell Collins Senior Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2015

1.9

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview

I had a phone interview where basic questions were asked such as how do you write requirements and then went through my experience. After that I talked about the area and asked what a typical day would be.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Rockwell Collins

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in December 2013.

Interview

Applying online is a horrific process, the system is antiquated and the amount of questions to be answered are extensive. Once I got my resume submitted, I waited several days and was contacted by a recruiter via email. We exchanged several emails, and I was forwarded to the manager. It took over 6 weeks before the manager contacted me. I then had a plant visit, interviewed with a panel of potential peers, the hiring manager and 2 other managers. After about 4 weeks I received an offer. Unfortunately, because it took so long, I had accepted another offer and started by then.

Interview Questions

• It was dd, there were very few questions, it was mostly the managers talking about the role. I simply walked through my resume.   Answer Question

Took too long to receive an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA).

Interview

Initial phone screen. Then they flew me into the HQ for a round of interviews. Which was generally easy and the interviewers seemed to know the stuff they do. No very technical interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated a higher salary scale. If you quote a competing offer they try to match it. Take as much as possible during negotiation phase because after there is very marginal increase in salaries.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Portland, OR) in April 2013.

Interview

Talked with hiring manager after being referred by a colleague working at Rockwell and was referred to a requisition and HR. On-site interview within 3 weeks of applying. I was all but told the job was mine to lose. 6 person all day interview. Mostly personality and process, no technology questions.

Interview Questions

• Draw a flow diagram of the system you are working on now and identify what areas you are responsible.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Rockwell continued to ask what I wanted to be paid and I continued to ignore the question until getting an offer, stating instead, "I want to be paid an appropriate amount for the job description." Rockwell came in well under expectations and I countered $20k higher and asked for a hiring bonus. Rockwell gave a second offer $9k over initial with a $10k bonus. I countered again giving a final number $3k higher and received it.

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in June 2011.

Interview

The interview started off with a 30 minute Technical Presentation and then behavioral interview questions. The whole process took almost 8 hours.

Money was too low

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in August 2010.

Interview

The phone interview with the manager was typical. He told me about the position and program, and then he had me describe my background. We then reviewed areas on my resume and expanded if required. I was presented with several of the typical questions of how you would deal with program difficulty, program slips, difficult co-workers, etc. The onsite was about two weeks later. I interviewed woth 5 other managers in addition to the one that brought me in. The process to 2 days, from 0800 to 5 pm. It was exhausting. All the questions were basically the same except for program specific. There were a lot of personality questions about working with others, and one manager had me write out a basic program management plan.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with difficulty in making your schedule commitments   1 Answer
    • Name one time you had a difficult problem and how you overcame it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, and that was told at the start.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in July 2010.

Interview

First I applied online, 2 days later I had a phone interview, another 3 days I flew to cedar rapids, IA and had interviews for 3 days with multiple engineering positions.

Interview Questions

• Define how you would test an aircraft radio? What do you know about ARP 4754, DO 160, DO 178, DO 254? Do you have experience in IMA platform systems?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate, but the HR was stuck no matter what to change the offer. At the time it was nice since I was unemployed, but I regret moving to a small town and narrow minded people (this includes most of the people that worked at Rockwell Collins right out of College and haven't seen any other company).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Cedar Rapids, IA) in April 2010.

Interview

Very friendly process. Enjoyed talking to everybody. HR was fast

Interview Questions

• It was more how I will fit with the rest of team. No hard technical questions per se   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins (Richardson, TX) in February 2008.

Interview

Interview was very easy, more about getting to know me as a person.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rockwell Collins in May 2010.

Interview

Hour-long phone interview with department manager led to a group/panel interview consisting of a 30 minute presentation to the panel of six managers followed by 1:1 interviews with each manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None, their HR department was absolutely inflexible - take it or leave it. This was the only negative aspect to the interview/offer process.