Rockwell Collins

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very friendly process. Enjoyed talking to everybody. HR was fast

Interview Question – It was more how I will fit with the rest of team. No hard technical questions per se   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in April 2013.

Interview Details – Talked with hiring manager after being referred by a colleague working at Rockwell and was referred to a requisition and HR. On-site interview within 3 weeks of applying. I was all but told the job was mine to lose. 6 person all day interview. Mostly personality and process, no technology questions.

Interview Question – Draw a flow diagram of the system you are working on now and identify what areas you are responsible.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Rockwell continued to ask what I wanted to be paid and I continued to ignore the question until getting an offer, stating instead, "I want to be paid an appropriate amount for the job description." Rockwell came in well under expectations and I countered $20k higher and asked for a hiring bonus. Rockwell gave a second offer $9k over initial with a $10k bonus. I countered again giving a final number $3k higher and received it.

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applying online is a horrific process, the system is antiquated and the amount of questions to be answered are extensive. Once I got my resume submitted, I waited several days and was contacted by a recruiter via email. We exchanged several emails, and I was forwarded to the manager. It took over 6 weeks before the manager contacted me. I then had a plant visit, interviewed with a panel of potential peers, the hiring manager and 2 other managers. After about 4 weeks I received an offer. Unfortunately, because it took so long, I had accepted another offer and started by then.

Interview Question – It was dd, there were very few questions, it was mostly the managers talking about the role. I simply walked through my resume.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took too long to receive an offer.

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen. Then they flew me into the HQ for a round of interviews. Which was generally easy and the interviewers seemed to know the stuff they do. No very technical interview.

Interview Question – Explain DO178B processes that you follow   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a higher salary scale. If you quote a competing offer they try to match it. Take as much as possible during negotiation phase because after there is very marginal increase in salaries.

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in July 2010.

Interview Details – First I applied online, 2 days later I had a phone interview, another 3 days I flew to cedar rapids, IA and had interviews for 3 days with multiple engineering positions.

Interview Question – Define how you would test an aircraft radio?
What do you know about ARP 4754, DO 160, DO 178, DO 254?
Do you have experience in IMA platform systems?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate, but the HR was stuck no matter what to change the offer. At the time it was nice since I was unemployed, but I regret moving to a small town and narrow minded people (this includes most of the people that worked at Rockwell Collins right out of College and haven't seen any other company).

Cedar Rapids, IA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in August 2010.

Interview Details – The phone interview with the manager was typical. He told me about the position and program, and then he had me describe my background. We then reviewed areas on my resume and expanded if required. I was presented with several of the typical questions of how you would deal with program difficulty, program slips, difficult co-workers, etc.

The onsite was about two weeks later. I interviewed woth 5 other managers in addition to the one that brought me in. The process to 2 days, from 0800 to 5 pm. It was exhausting. All the questions were basically the same except for program specific. There were a lot of personality questions about working with others, and one manager had me write out a basic program management plan.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with difficulty in making your schedule commitments   View Answer
  • Name one time you had a difficult problem and how you overcame it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, and that was told at the start.

Cedar Rapids, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview started off with a 30 minute Technical Presentation and then behavioral interview questions. The whole process took almost 8 hours.

Interview Question – Why Rockwell?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Money was too low

Richardson, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in February 2008.

Interview Details – Interview was very easy, more about getting to know me as a person.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Senior Systems Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in May 2010.

Interview Details – Hour-long phone interview with department manager led to a group/panel interview consisting of a 30 minute presentation to the panel of six managers followed by 1:1 interviews with each manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – None, their HR department was absolutely inflexible - take it or leave it. This was the only negative aspect to the interview/offer process.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in March 2010.

Interview Details – it was a great experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rockwell Collins

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins Senior Systems Engineer interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees and interview candidates.