Rockwell Collins

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Rockwell Collins

Interview Details – I had a on campus interview. 2 phone screening and a onsite interview. The people are nice. No difficult questions. Most of them are project related questions. As long as you are a nice person willing to work hard.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you have a conflict with your teammates and how you deal with it.   Answer Question

Melbourne, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview Details – Submitted resume on line. After 3 weeks, a recruiter called and asked standard questions from the job description, and little bit about me like tell me your 3 best skills what are your 3 best qualities, etc. Then in a week a hiring manager called, we chatted about my resume, why I left previous employer, what projects I worked on etc. Then in a week I had job interview(s) at Rockwell Collins in Melbourne, FL. I talked to 4 engineers, 2 managers, and 1 HR person. They were all very nice. One of them showed me their lab where they integrate/test radars. It was very interesting to see. Engineers seem to be smart guys. I was not the best fit for the position. All the interviews took half a day 8:30-12:30. I got impression it would be a nice environment to work in, and they are nice people. They wanted to see if you would be happy working there, and if you would like the work. So, you have to convince them that you really would like the job.
If you can easily move (no kids, no house), mention it to recruiters because it seemed they were looking to be as cheap as possible on relocation.
The recruiter was supposed to call me within 3 days and tell me the decision they made, but he did not. Then, I called him on the fifth day after the interview, left a message, and he returned the call.

Interview Question – What's the difference between FIR and IIR filters? They asked many behavioral questions as well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview Details – I was not called for second interview because I was not graduating the semester that I interviewed with them.

Interview Question – What is your problem solving strategy? Name a project where you have applied it?   Answer Question

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in March 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process was pretty laid back and enjoyable. Met with a number of engineers to talk about various topics. Engineers were fairly forth-coming about the specifics of the job.

Interview Question – There were some pretty unexpected programming questions, specifically with embedded systems and the C programming language.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for a Software Engineer position, after one month I got a call from the hiring manager asking me some basic questions about my education, two weeks later they flew me to their HQ in Cedar rapids, IA. I had a whole day interview with different teams, asking me about my resume and some behavioral questions, three engineering managers took me to lunch in-between interviews. I was surprised for an entry level position they asked only three technical questions.
I'm still waiting for the outcome.

Interview Question – Do you code software in your spare time ? ( Oh God are you serious haha)   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in July 2009.

Interview Details – I was flown out to HQ in Cedar Rapids, IA. I didn't even know the place existed until I was asked to come out. The interview process consisted of meeting 3 engineers and 2 managers, as well as a tour around the lab.
Engineers asked some very simple and basic questions about past projects and interests; no technical questions asked. Managers asked me about past job experience and what I would look for in my position.

Interview Question – Would you take the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation. Base salary at the time was $55k with average bonus, restricted stock, and 401k. 6 months later a friend of mine was hired at ~$60k (this all occurred around the recession).

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins.

Interview Details – Considering this was my first job out of college I was a bit surprised by how the interview went. The company flew me to their headquarters on Cedar Rapids, IA for a couple of days, which was fully paid for, and proceeded to give me a full days worth of interviews.

I interviewed with 4 managers and most of them gave me behavioral questions to gauge my inter-personal skills. A few of them asked me some technical questions in both C and C++. I answered to the best of my abilities and was able to arrive at the correct solution most of the time.

One manager had me meet with almost half of the team. I sat in a room for 2-3 hours while 3-4 people came in, talked with me for a while, left and then some more arrived. Most of the questions were about my personal experiences at college, why I chose my major, and what I did in my senior design project.

Interview Question – Explain the most frustrating part of your senior design project and how you ended up solving it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As I had no experience before hand, I threw out a number that I thought would be a bit high, but not unreasonable. The HR person said she'd talk to the manager and they gave me a counter offer that was about half of what I had proposed. They even threw in a couple of sign on bonuses so I accepted.

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in October 2012.

Interview Details – Phone Screening-2 and On site

Interview Question – Conflict with any team members?   Answer Question

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly simple. I met the recruiter during the career fair in my University. I was called for a 30 mins interview the following day in the university campus. The recruiter learnt about my interests and previous work experience and briefed about the company. After a week I was called for the onsite interview. I was scheduled to interview with 3 teams. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and senior engineer in each team. The questions included behavioral, past projects, simple technical questions, technical skill level evaluation etc. Each team demonstrated the product they were working on. It is upon each team to evaluate how good a fit you are for the team.

Interview Question – Behavioral, questions based on resume.   Answer Question

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Rockwell Collins in October 2010.

Interview Details – Got an on-campus interview from university career fair. Heard back in 3 weeks and invited to on-site. Had a whole-day interview with 4 groups. Met the hiring manager and an engineer from each group. The interview process is more like a conversation instead of a test. They asked questions about my experience and my projects, some behavior questions, etc. They also explained what their team are working on (even showed videos, pictures, labs, equipments). The interviewers are very nice. I appreciate the way that they spend most of time telling you about what they are doing, what's the working environment like, and answering interviewee's questions, instead of making you write code or solve difficult problems. Just got a call telling me the offer is on the way.

Interview Questions

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!