Roku

3.1

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer - Hardware Valid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Roku.

I had applied through online, after few days I received a email and then telephone interview with recruiter. After 2 weeks a telephone interview with a director. Then after a week scheduled a F2F interview. It was a set of 45 mins slot of 1:1 with different Software developers, QA engineers, Managers and Director. The F2F interview lasted for more than 6 hours. Lunch was served for free. At the end of the interview I was gifted Roku 3.

Interview Questions
    • Sorry, cant disclose. Some were with respect to my experience.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Roku.

I reached out on LinkedIn through a friend of a friend and got a quick response from the recruiter. The initial screening went well and they scheduled an phone interview with the VP. It took awhile to get an interview. She made a few odd statements like, we're a pretty late team, are you ok with that and do you mind late hours. She said she was going on vacation and would bring me in. I never heard from her again. About a month later, I pinged the recruiter and she said she still hadn't gotten feedback from the VP and that she would get back to me by the end of the week. I waited and pinged back mostly out of curiosity. This went on for a bit before I finally just threw in the towel. I never heard back from them again.

Interview Questions
    • Do you mind working long hours? How long do you take before you call a client back?   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Roku in January 2015.

Long phone calls with multiple recruiters (more typing than listening). Intense day-long in-person one-on-ones for interview. Lots of positive vibes. Then nothing. Not even a "thank you but we're taking a different direction" from the HR team. Sad.

Interview Questions
    • What software tools do you use for tracking projects?   View Answer

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Roku in October 2014.

Initial screening call with recruitment admin, followed by a screening chat with the recruiting manager at a nearby Starbucks (I live very close to the offices, so suggested face-to-face being better)

There followed a 3-hour in-person session with 5 different people of various levels from the recruiting manager, their boss, and several peers / customers of the role in question. Level of interviewing was mixed, from the more senior interviewer being calm, insightful and intelligent, through to other more junior interviewers obviously not having prepared for the 30 minutes they had with me. Classic questions such as "what is your biggest weakness" and "tell me why I should hire you" actually got trotted out...

Generally a reasonably good interview time, although the office where I was based was pretty deserted, which made me wonder where everyone was in the middle of a workday. Left with a promise of being contacted in the next couple of days.

I sent a thankyou / follow-up note the next day but heard nothing. The week finished and the next one came, with no news. I sent another follow-up mail which didn't get a response. So I called the hiring manager (she'd given me her business card) - no answer, so I left a voicemail asking for a quick update on their process. Nothing.

Eventually, I got a mail back from the hiring manager 9 weeks after the interviews after I send another mail pretty much berating them for being unprofessional, to say that they'd chosen someone else with a more relevant background. Perfectly fine and understandable, but not the 2 month delay in communication.

Interview Questions
    • Trying to keep a straight face when presented with "what's your biggest weakness"   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Roku.

I was approached by one recruiter and asked to fill out a questionnaire and send my resume. The questions were all experience based, nothing technical. Then I was approached by another recruiter who wanted a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was fine, all the normal questions:

What languages do you program in?
    What is the most difficult bug you have tackled?
    What do you like/dislike about your current job? etc...

At the end of the phone interview I was asked a series of technical questions that were moderately challenging but I missed one on threading and was asked another that I don't remember because I did not clearly understand it. Despite my experience developing and maintaining enterprise applications this was a problem for them. Roku is looking for a very particular type of engineer, your experience is not going to matter, only your ability to give book answers to language framework details and OOP concepts.

Interview Questions
    • None were that difficult, just kicking myself for not studying more before the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Firmware Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Roku in July 2014.

Contacted the recruiter at Roku through LinkedIn. Had two phone screens, one with the recruiter and the other with the hiring manager. They were looking for someone with a breadth of knowledge - right from low-level firmware, including assembly language to all the way up to application programming in C++. The position was for their new products group.

The on-site interview went pretty well, by my judgement. I was able to answer 90% of all coding questions. The questions ranged from retreiving 12-bit data from a binary file, implementing a FIFO using an array, reversing a singly-linked list and bit manipulation. The only questions that I had trouble with were ones related to multi-threading.

After the interview, I was also presented with a free Roku 3, which was a nice gesture on their part. The day following the interview, I got a call from the recruiter saying that they were passing on me because I didn't have enough experience in application level coding.

Interview Questions
    • There were two of them.

1. How would you debug a memory leak arising from third-party code, which is linked as a binary object (no source code).

2. Can you draw a block diagram of the internal components of a Roku device and their interconnection.

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Firmware Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Roku.

Initial phone screen very positive. HR person made it seem like a nice place to work. My skills would have been a great fit for them. Next phone interview was the *strangest* I've ever had. Interviewer didn't seem to have much experience in how to conduct an insightful interview and seemed primarily motivated to complete the task and get rid of me as quickly as possible. Two well-qualified friends have interviewed for the same position since and had similar experiences.

Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Roku in May 2014.

Contacted by the recruiter. I was not ready to take the interview during that time. Recruiter was kind enough to wait almost 2 to 3 months and then contacted again with the same opportunity. I was ready to take the interview. So first scheduled telephonic round. It was 45 mins long interview. Standard questions on previous experience, toughest bug that i worked, questions on threads, deadlocks etc. After that onsite interview was scheduled. I had prepared for it and practiced writing programs on board. I went to the the office. Total 3 persons interviewed me and each took 45 mins long. They started with their introduction then started asking me to write programs on board. All three of them asked different programs. Those are not academic type. More or less related to what they are working currently. For e.g. write a simple character FIFO implementation, function to convert ascii to int, a problem related to insertion sort, program to mirror the image, semaphores, locks etc. I wrote most of these programs and also tested to ensure the correctness. I guess only while implementing FIFO, i couldn't able to come up with correct IsFIFOFull() logic, otherwise rest all did OK. After all interviews they gave me *** ROKU 3 *** box for giving interview to them. That was very sweet and totally unexpected.

After going home I was sure i get the offer as my background is exactly matching to the job requirements, i'm working on competitor company and I did interview pretty good. But to my surprise next day I got email saying they are looking for better match to the requirements of this job. That means no-offer. This is not my first interview. I had given interviews to more than 20 companies and got 5 offers from different companies like ROKU. However i never did perform as good as in ROKU interview, but still no-offer !!!. God only knows why they didn't select me. Anyway i got free ROKU 3, which is a consolation prize in this process.

Interview Questions
    • Write program to Mirror the image from half where each pixel is one bit. Char FIFO implementation.   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Very dysfunctional process. In 2012, a Roku recruiter approached me. We never actually connected or spoke - the communcation was all in email. Then, In 2014, I was approached again. This new recruiter (mistakenly) assumed I had been rejected in 2012 and assumed I was trying to hide something, e.g., used this to filter me out. This was a very strange sequence of events: an internal recruiter fails to follow up on a meeting she initiated, and then, 2 1/2 years later, a different recruiter assumes the worst, and filters me out due to the first recruiters lack of follow through. Roku is not well represented by this.

Interview Questions
    • Never got to the technical screening process. A bueraucratic mixup filtered me out.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Roku.

I applied online and received a call from their recruiter within a few days. She scheduled a phone screen, which happened a day or 2 afterwards. The phone screen started with him asking me to do a narration of my recent experience while he got his stuff together. He then asked me some questions about C++ keywords and how to determine integer bit size on any given machine. I was then asked in for an onsite interview. They are in a temporary space right now, so it's just a bunch of folks all sitting at tables in the same room. They appear to have one conference room in which the interview took place. At first the interview was going ok - he wrote a code snippet from a bug he had to fix earlier in the week and asked me to find the bug - a race condition - pretty easy. After that he asked me to do some coding on the white-board. The coding question was really easy - write a sort algorithm for a singly linked list; however at this point I seemed to go full retard and completely fell apart. Some stuff went on afterwards, but I could read it in the interviewers eyes that the interview was over. There was one other interviewer who was a QA guy. He asked some questions about coding with testing in mind and asked how to detect if a linked list had a loop in it.

So, sort of a bad experience, but it was completely my fault. If you interview with these folks I would suggest a review of your old data structures book before you show up.