Roll Call

2 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Roll Call in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through The Economist's website. I also had a networking contact and asked if they could put in a word for me. It was quite a while before I heard back--perhaps a month or so.

One day I received an email with the job's information. It was different from the original posting, but I thought it was because they were being private about the exact details and we set up an interview time. The interview went well, with discussion about the job's details, the nature of the product I would be using, what were my experiences using similar products as well as how did I feel about learning new product or software as the job required. There was also extensive discussion about the personality of the organization, including optional events like happy hours, celebrating birthdays or special events, etc. It was a good conversation overall, although it tended to go off on tangents.

However, at the beginning of the interview they told me they had filled the position I had applied for with an internal candidate and I was interviewing for a similar position that was at the entry-level. Upon review of the email correspondence to set up the interview, it was not indicated in the description in the email that it was a different job or that the original position was filled.

About a week later I had a follow-up phone call with follow-up questions, including how did I feel about remaining neutral about causes or politics, because CQ Roll Call mainly does reporting and news. The purpose of the call was an offer. I asked for additional time because I was expecting to hear back regarding another job elsewhere either that day or the following day and because it was a holiday weekend. They said they needed to know sooner rather than later and wanted to know by the EOB the following day.

I waited as reasonably long as I could (but did not hear back at all from the other company within the above timeframe) and went ahead and turned down the offer. They emailed back, asking why. I explained the position was not a good fit and that while I appreciated being considered for another position, what I had interviewed for and what I had applied to were not the same jobs.

Interview Question – Because I had not interviewed with a media organization before, I was surprised by the questions of neutrality regarding politics, causes, etc. They did not ask about party affiliation or what causes were important to me and made it clear that things like voting were considered a right.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They interviewed me for a position I did not apply for. I had applied for a specific position (and had even been encouraged to by my networking contact) and while I appreciated being considered for another one within the organization, I really wasn't happy that I wasn't informed of the change until I got to the interview. Ultimately it wasn't a good fit.

Very Easy Interview

National Account Executive Interview

National Account Executive
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Roll Call in January 2010.

Interview Details – Minimal. Call from HR led to two mtgs: one with middle mgr then with Managing Director, followed by a CYA meeting with a junior rep.

Negotiation Details – Limited negotiation. I received an account list worth what I required and subsequent negotiations were with unhappy co-workers whose accounts had been given to me.

Worked for Roll Call? Contribute to the Community!