Rolls-Royce

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Center of Excellence Expert Interview

Software Center of Excellence Expert
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted a couple of weeks later by mail and phone by HR to collect a few details and plan an interview.
 - 1rst interview by phone with HR, quite general, background, resume, language level assessment. Approx 30-40 mins.
 - A week or so later, 2nd interview by phone with technical expert and head of center of excellence. Lot of technical questions, background, experiences. approx 1:15.
 - A few weeks later (due to my availability as I was living abroad), Physical interview. 3:30 hours.
Supposed to be 1h30 general by the head of department and technical expert and 2h technical with a panel of field specialists. In reality, very interesting questions and developments led to 2:30 on the management part and only 45 minutes left for technical interview.
The first part of the interview gave me really strong feeling of like-mindedness, and a good impression about the department objectives and will of improvement. The technical part left me with a more mitigated impression, and while each seemed very competent in its own area, some of them seemed to lack the spark of energy and open-mindedness that I think is necessary for this kind of job (admittedly in a very time-constrained atmosphere).
The HR contacted me a couple of weeks later with an offer.

Note: RR never refunded me for the travel expenses (flight +train+ hotel) as they originally promised. That's generally not a nice thing to do.
During the interview the head of department had advised me to contact him directly if it happened, so it seems it was not an isolated case. Too bad he had already left the company by then.

Interview Question – What have been your experiences with convincing top level management?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Multiple.
Cons:
 - The job seemed to be very interesting and ambitious but the contract used a different title for the role (according to HR it was the same job but I would be promoted to expert after 1 year).
 - Salary offer was decent (42k) but not high enough as to be a motivating factor, especially for an international mobility to Derby.
 - They didn't pay back the travel expenses, as promised.
 - I still had a mitigated feeling about the technical part of the interview
 - At the moment to make my decision, I learned that the head of department which objectives I really connected with was leaving the company.

Pros: On the pros side, I was committed to another project abroad by the time the selection process ended and their were very understanding and accepted to hold the position for 6 month (until the end of my project) if I signed.

Manufacturing Engineering Intern Interview

Manufacturing Engineering Intern
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial online application form - SHL numerical and logical reasoning tests - assessment centre.

Application and online test practice can be done online. For the assessment centre, mine had about 10-15 people split into two groups. Itinerary for the day was:

-Presentation about yourself followed by interview questions
-Numerical Test (on paper this time)
-Group task, usually working as a team to meet an objective.
-Written exercise
-Technical interview. This is a chance to talk about your technical knowledge i.e. stuff you've covered at uni and related work experience.

Not necessarily in the above order and lunch is provided.

Staff try and make you feel at home and from my perspective, RR is certainly a company that cares for its workers.

Interview Question – Technical interview - make a short talk/presentation from a choice of topics given in a list. (Some if not most should tie in with material you've learnt in your course or at school)   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Derby, England (UK)

I interviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2012.

Interview Details – Online application form, assessment day including personal experience interview, group exercise and technical interview.

Interview Question – Where does RR not operate and why might we have chosen not to do business there   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in November 2013.

Interview Details – Firstly a rather in depth online application and then online testing.
Once you have past these and been reviewed you are invited to an assesment day at Rolls-Royce.
This day includes
Two x 1 hour interviews (one technical, one competencies) including a 10-20 minute presentation about yourself
1 test (normally maths based) of 40 minutes
A 40 minutes case study test
And a hour group exersice task which you are observed upon.
It is a full day (8am - 4pm) and after the assesment center, you are then told within 2 days if you have been ofered a position or not.

Interview Question – What have you heard of Rolls-Royce recently in the news   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Human Resources Business Partner
Derby, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Interview Details – Competency based interview - with 2 senior managers; presentation on change management; numerical & verbal reasoning tests.

Interview Question – Nothing too radical - based on their leadership & technical competencies.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in November 2013.

Interview Details – aptitude test logical and numerical, and personal presentation,

Interview Question – Technical round more focused on subject   Answer Question

Graduate Development Programme-Engineering Interview

Graduate Development Programme-Engineering
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applications open in August (apply sooner rather than later!); standard form (CV upload, general questions about your interests), numerical and logical tests (make sure you do the practice tests).

Assessment centre call (about 2 months later for me), long day (8:30am to 4:30pm)! Assessed activities including: Personal Presentation, Competency Interview, Group Task, Technical Interview, Numerical Test, Business Writing.

A call within 2 days, which is very nice as we aren't kept hanging for too long!

Interview Question – Competency Interview: Along the lines of 'Have you had personal and business relations with someone, and one has influenced the other, and what have you learnt from this'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Standard Grad Job; no negotiations.

Operations Management - Summer Internship Interview

Operations Management - Summer Internship
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is same as the graduate programs. Its first online application submission which is immediately followed by online numerical and aptitude tests. The scores and the applications are then reviewed by some manager (that is what the system tells, not sure what level of managers review it). If you get selected by the managers then you are invited for an assessment day at their Learning and Development Center in Derby. Where you have two interviews (technical and competence), a paper and pen numerical test, a business case,a short presentation by you about why you need to be hired, and finally a group discussion discussion with other candidates. All these are assessed by a panel of people high up the ranks (many of them were Directors of some sort, found out during the lunch were we interacted with the panelists a bit freely). You'll hear the results in less than week

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2013.

Interview Details – Initial online application followed by invitation to take online psychometric tests (numerical & logical reasoning). Received an e-mail invitation to an assessment centre 2-3 weeks later. Day-long assessment centre consisted of individual presentation, competency interview, psychometric retest, group exercise, technical interview and written case study. All in all, the day lasted around 6-7 hours.

Interview Question – Technical interview by far the most challenging. Not one question in particular, but style of interview. Make sure you know basic engineering principles and how to apply them within an engine.   Answer Question

Engineering Graduate Programmer Interview

Engineering Graduate Programmer
Derby, England (UK)

Interview Details – 1) Online application form (CV, Cover Letter & 2 short answer questions).
2) Immediately after submitting application - 2 online tests (SHL Numeracy and Logic) - 10 days to complete both.
3) 4 weeks after the tests I was invited to an Assessment Center. RR booked and paid for the hotel and covered all travel expenses for the Assessment Center.

At Assessment Center:

Ice breaker (soft drinks) - chance to introduce ourselves to the assessors and ask questions.
4) 1 hour skills interview. 10 min presentation on why I want to join RR and what skills I possess (we were asked to prepare in advance) and then follow-up questions from 1 assessor. Questions focus on examples where you can demonstrate communication, team working, leadership etc. skills.
5) 35 min SHL Numerical reasoning re-test. Did not finish all questions in time.
6) 45 min design and build group exercise.
Lunch - another opportunity to ask assessors questions about business/their role in RR.
7) 1 hour technical interview with 1 assessor. Challenging questions on both general engineering principles and on gas turbines (I found this the most challenging of the day).
8) Business case/problem solving task

Interview Question – Something about bearings - I did not really understand it...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Standard contract for all graduates so non-negotiable

Worked for Rolls-Royce? Contribute to the Community!