Rolls-Royce Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in November 2013.

Interview

Preliminary Communication with them is fairly strait forward. They call you up when they would like to interview you. When they call you up, they set up an interview time and from there you will interview with them over the phone.

I actually have two lists of the interview questions and grading scale & required response for each question.

To be honest, though, I would hate working for a company as formulaic as this. However, to each is his own. Screw the system.

Interview Questions

• 1) "Do you have an example of a time you were set (or you set yourself) some particularly challenging objectives. How did you go about ensuring they were met? What problems did you encounter? What was the result?   1 Answer
  • 2) “What do you think are some of the major Challenges we face as an organisation at the moment?” “What future events are likely to have an impact on the business of Rolls-Royce?” Why/how? Ask the candidate what opportunities and threats they think they raise, and what actions Rolls-Royce might take to address them. How do you think the dollar exchange rate is impacting upon the company at the moment? What can we do to mitigate it’s impact? Long term/short term?   1 Answer
  • 3) Tell me about a time when you were the only person who stood up for a particular cause or course of action and faced tough resistance. Why did you do this? What challenges did you receive? How did you deal with them? What were the results? What did you learn from this?   1 Answer
  • 4) Thinking about a time you were working in a team of your peers, tell me about a particularly difficult problem the team had to solve. How did the team approach the problem? What role did you play?   1 Answer
  • 5) Tell me about a time you’ve been given an assignment or task that you had never done before. How did this make you feel? How did you approach the problem? What were the time scales? How did you do? What was the outcome? Would you have liked to have done anything differently?   1 Answer

I received another offer from a more appealing company

Other Interview Reviews for Rolls-Royce

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

It took forever even as a returning intern and had to let them know that I had other offers I was waiting on to get a response after months of promises that they were getting an offer to me.

Interview Questions

Was not competitive, weak benefits package, and would not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Applied on their website sometime in October and got an interview with them in February. First interview was on phone, lasted about 45 minutes and were mostly behavioral questions and what does RR do. About few days later got invited to on-day assessment in Indianapolis. They accommodated me very well and the night before the interview there was a mixer with about 15 other candidates and Rolls-Royce employees. The actual day of the assessment there was a presentation about my skills, 2 interviews, group exercises, math, reasoning tests and a discussion about your solution to the case study they give you. All in all, very difficult interview process. Make sure you know what RR does and be familiar with their products.

Interview Questions

• How did you convince someone with no authority?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Reston, VA).

Interview

1st round interview. Comprised of a basic STAR interview based on the company's 5 core values (buried on the website). Then discussion about the macro-level (SWOT) potential of the company.
    2nd Round interview. Presentation about self, strategy interview, behavioral interview, IQ test, math test, and group activity.

Interview Questions

• State a time that you had to influence others without any authority.

Where do you see the company in 5 years?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation since it was for an internship, did negotiate some on salary

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in September 2012.

Interview

I applied to a finance internship at Rolls in fall and was contacted a few months later with an offer for an interview in the costumer support division. This was not what I was looking for but decided to accept the interview call and continue on with the application.

The interview was rather short and consisted of only behavioral questions. This included "describe a situation..." "walk me through your resume.." etc.

I felt that I had a very good interview with this HR representative and was told I would be called by one of the department managers in the upcoming weeks.

I was never called and after 3 emails and the passing of the hiring date I received an email saying I did not receive the internship at least 6 months later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were basically behavioral questions such as "describe a situation..." and "walk me through your resume..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Apply online with multiple long answer questions. If put through you then have to do online testing of four different areas.
    If you get through all these you're then invited to an application day that includs; 2x 1 hour interviews (one technical and one skills), a presentation about yourself, numeracy skills exam, business acumen test and also a team working assessed task.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)).

Interview

Sent application through website, and then took some online psychometric tests. It took them 2-3 months to reply after the tests. Was invited to a day-long assessment centre, which involved a competency interview, a technical interview, a group exercise, psychometric tests, and a presentation about myself.

Each interview took about an hour, with two interviewers, and I came out feeling quite exhausted.

Interview Questions

• Most involving question was a technical question about diagnosing a certain problem in a gas turbine.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Intern role so no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Retake an online numerical test in a room with the other candidates - very relaxed to begin with.
    First up is the personality interview - quick 10 min presentation/discussion about yourself and your aspirations etc.
    Group test - build a tower around 1m tall using a range of materials such as paper and tape that come with a cost - idea is to build to success for as cheap as possible, but nobody is expected to actually succeed.
    Final interview is technical - challenging questions with some knowledge of the company and their products necessary

Interview Questions

• Shown an engine part - what component is this and what does it do? Why are there holes here?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Campus recruiting- the first round interview followed by recruiting dinner 1 day earlier.

Interview Questions

• How will the external factors influence Rolls Royce in next 5 years.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce (Bristol, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

Strong application, take time to learn company history, production areas, and spend more than one session writing the application. Do not copy online answers. Assessment day, make sure you know how an engine works, knowing anything about the company as it may come up. Be heard in the group interview, don't give up in the technical interview, they don't expect you to know the answers they expect you to make intelligent guesses.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview, explain a pre determined set of engineering questions/theories.   Answer Question