Rolls-Royce Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2014

3.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in November 2013.

Preliminary Communication with them is fairly strait forward. They call you up when they would like to interview you. When they call you up, they set up an interview time and from there you will interview with them over the phone.

I actually have two lists of the interview questions and grading scale & required response for each question.

To be honest, though, I would hate working for a company as formulaic as this. However, to each is his own. Screw the system.

Interview Questions
  • 1) "Do you have an example of a time you were set (or you set yourself) some particularly challenging objectives. How did you go about ensuring they were met? What problems did you encounter? What was the result?   View Answer
  • 2) “What do you think are some of the major Challenges we face as an organisation at the moment?” “What future events are likely to have an impact on the business of Rolls-Royce?” Why/how? Ask the candidate what opportunities and threats they think they raise, and what actions Rolls-Royce might take to address them. How do you think the dollar exchange rate is impacting upon the company at the moment? What can we do to mitigate it’s impact? Long term/short term?   View Answer
  • 3) Tell me about a time when you were the only person who stood up for a particular cause or course of action and faced tough resistance. Why did you do this? What challenges did you receive? How did you deal with them? What were the results? What did you learn from this?   View Answer
  • 4) Thinking about a time you were working in a team of your peers, tell me about a particularly difficult problem the team had to solve. How did the team approach the problem? What role did you play?   View Answer
  • 5) Tell me about a time you’ve been given an assignment or task that you had never done before. How did this make you feel? How did you approach the problem? What were the time scales? How did you do? What was the outcome? Would you have liked to have done anything differently?   View Answer

I received another offer from a more appealing company

Other Interview Reviews for Rolls-Royce

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2013.

It took forever even as a returning intern and had to let them know that I had other offers I was waiting on to get a response after months of promises that they were getting an offer to me.

Interview Questions

Was not competitive, weak benefits package, and would not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Applied on their website sometime in October and got an interview with them in February. First interview was on phone, lasted about 45 minutes and were mostly behavioral questions and what does RR do. About few days later got invited to on-day assessment in Indianapolis. They accommodated me very well and the night before the interview there was a mixer with about 15 other candidates and Rolls-Royce employees. The actual day of the assessment there was a presentation about my skills, 2 interviews, group exercises, math, reasoning tests and a discussion about your solution to the case study they give you. All in all, very difficult interview process. Make sure you know what RR does and be familiar with their products.

Interview Questions
    • How did you convince someone with no authority?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

1st round interview. Comprised of a basic STAR interview based on the company's 5 core values (buried on the website). Then discussion about the macro-level (SWOT) potential of the company.
    2nd Round interview. Presentation about self, strategy interview, behavioral interview, IQ test, math test, and group activity.

Interview Questions
    • State a time that you had to influence others without any authority.

Where do you see the company in 5 years?
        Answer Question
    Very little negotiation since it was for an internship, did negotiate some on salary

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in September 2012.

I applied to a finance internship at Rolls in fall and was contacted a few months later with an offer for an interview in the costumer support division. This was not what I was looking for but decided to accept the interview call and continue on with the application.

The interview was rather short and consisted of only behavioral questions. This included "describe a situation..." "walk me through your resume.." etc.

I felt that I had a very good interview with this HR representative and was told I would be called by one of the department managers in the upcoming weeks.

I was never called and after 3 emails and the passing of the hiring date I received an email saying I did not receive the internship at least 6 months later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were basically behavioral questions such as "describe a situation..." and "walk me through your resume..."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Sent application through website, and then took some online psychometric tests. It took them 2-3 months to reply after the tests. Was invited to a day-long assessment centre, which involved a competency interview, a technical interview, a group exercise, psychometric tests, and a presentation about myself.

Each interview took about an hour, with two interviewers, and I came out feeling quite exhausted.

Interview Questions
    • Most involving question was a technical question about diagnosing a certain problem in a gas turbine.   View Answer
    Intern role so no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Campus recruiting- the first round interview followed by recruiting dinner 1 day earlier.

Interview Questions
    • How will the external factors influence Rolls Royce in next 5 years.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in September 2012.

Strong application, take time to learn company history, production areas, and spend more than one session writing the application. Do not copy online answers. Assessment day, make sure you know how an engine works, knowing anything about the company as it may come up. Be heard in the group interview, don't give up in the technical interview, they don't expect you to know the answers they expect you to make intelligent guesses.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview, explain a pre determined set of engineering questions/theories.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2012.

Interview depends on the divison, but some questions were directed towards the specific industry. Most questions were behavioral and very general, spoke with some great people there. Few specific or technical questions, most were directed towards broader industry trends.