Rolls-Royce

Updated Jan 14, 2015

3.3

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2012.

The interview process was approximately 5 hours in duration and consisted of 1:1 and panel interviews with personnel from varying levels of management and from different groups including LibertyWorks and Rolls Royce Corporation. There was a brief interview with the LibertyWorks Chief Engineer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Rolls Royce?   Answer Question
    • What is your level of comfort with systems engineering concepts including SV (schedule variance) and CV (cost variance)?   Answer Question

P&C Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2012.

Phone interview that lead to an in-person interview at the RR/UAW training center in Indianapolis. All accommodations were provided during the trip. The night prior we had two logical and spacial tests upon arrival at the hotel. Early the next morning the interview group was bused to the training center where we performed presentations about why the company should hire us, a group interview, and a technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us why we should hire you without a PowerPoint presentation, and only using a flip chart.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in March 2012.

(1) Phone interview. (2) "Assessment Center" which are 2 in-office interviews, a numerical reasoning exercise (quantitative exam), a group exercise (40 min project with other candidates to test your leadership and teamwork skills), and a logical reasoning exercise (pattern recognition exam).

Interview Questions
    • How have you dealt with a colleague's unethical actions.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2012.

called and then I went in for an interview

Graduate Leadership Program - Customer Management US Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2012.

I applied online in November, was contacted for a phone screening in early January and was flown out to Indianapolis later on that month for a group interview with approximately 15 other candidates, half were for the customer management side of things (strategic) the other half were more tactical roles.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of the 'things' that you should include on a contract for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Give us a 5 minute presentation on how recent events have impacted our business (was given a couple of weeks to prepare)?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in November 2011.

First HR recruiter phone screen
    Next Manager phone interview
    Then on-site interview
    Everyone was very polite and professional
    They took me out to lunch
    They gave me a tour of their building and facilities
    I interviewed with multiple people including HR
    HR was not upfront about salary range and benefit questions

Interview Questions
    • What would your former manager tell me that you need to improve upon?   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2011.

Met the recruiters at my university's career fair. After introducing myself and speaking to the recruiter for 15 minutes I was invited to a mixer later that evening. After an hour at the mixer I departed and later received a phone call to interview with them on campus the following day. The interview was approximately 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly "what would you do if..." type questions following by open discussion.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain a free body diagram to a non-engineer?   View Answer

Vice President, Government Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2011.

This position required three rounds of interviews. The first interview was a phone interview and went extremely well. One of their Senior VPs interviewed me. The second interview (my last) was in person - another senior VP interviewed me. I was told that the executive VP was the third and final interviewer. The process was a bit slow - it took them roughly a month to get back to me. I received a form email from a contract recruiter informing me that they hired someone else. If I recall correctly, I was told that HR(?) made the final decision as to who was hired.

Repair Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in August 2011.

Pretty typical behavioral questions.

Development Program Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in July 2011.

Process consisted of standard application/resume and a few questions at submission, followed by a phone screen, panel interview, and 1:1 Interview. The delay between initial submission and the phone screen was approximately 10 weeks. From the phone screen to live interview could have ben 2 weeks, but I was unavailable - resulting in a 4 week span from the phone screen to the live interview.

Phone inverview was obviously a read-from script with an HR associate who had no understanding of the questions, technology, or project management. He had nothing to offer as far as insight into the job and was simply collecting responses for someone to review. Questions were pretty standard - why are you looking at RR for a job, when can you start, do you have a non-compete or non-disclosure, etc. Interviews do not get any easier than this.

Live interview was a panel of 3 Functional managers. Again, no hard questions - mostly "Describe a time when"... It was very apparent from the process that the panel had an internal candidate in mind, with most responses being marginalized with "well, Jet engines are different". I felt like my time was being wasted - that they needed an external candidate to fill a slate, and picked me because I lived nearby.

The last interview was with a section manager who was incredibly concerned about how long I intended on staying in this role if hired, and when I would be looking for a promotion. I asked how "High Potential" employees were identified and developed, and was met with a blank stare. It was obvious that this group was not interested in someone who would "cultivate change" as noted in the job description. The job description also had 3 or 4 bullets dealing with schedule and earned value reporting. I was asked precisely ZERO questions about this.

Honestly, I was shocked to end up with a phone call that an offer was forthcoming. I must have done a good job selling them on me - too bad they didn't do the same.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your knowledge of turbine engines as related to rotary wing aircraft.   Answer Question

From the interview process it was apparent that while the job description focused on project management and accounting, the hiring managers were looking for a subject matter expert (turbine engines) that had a peripheral ability to record earned value and manage projects as opposed to a project manager with the ability to become smart with regard to the technology managed. Management was completely open and honest on all questions asked and I believe the opportunity was clearly described - it just wasn't what I was looking for.