Rolls-Royce

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2011.

Interview Details – Met the recruiters at my university's career fair. After introducing myself and speaking to the recruiter for 15 minutes I was invited to a mixer later that evening. After an hour at the mixer I departed and later received a phone call to interview with them on campus the following day. The interview was approximately 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly "what would you do if..." type questions following by open discussion.

Interview Question – How would you explain a free body diagram to a non-engineer?   Answer Question

Market Research Interview

Market Research
Indianapolis, IN

The process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in May 2011.

Interview Details – The panel interview consisted of four Rolls-Royce employees and me in a small conference room at one of their Indianapolis facilities. Each person seemed to have different goals for the interview, as they seemed to be competing with each other for questions at times. The asked several basic questions such as walk me through your resume, tell me about a time when this or that happened, etc. They also asked some specific questions about a simple case they prepared. They seemed to be looking for some very specific answers and I didn't quite have the answers they were looking for.

Very Easy Interview

Development Program Engineer Interview

Development Program Engineer
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in July 2011.

Interview Details – Process consisted of standard application/resume and a few questions at submission, followed by a phone screen, panel interview, and 1:1 Interview. The delay between initial submission and the phone screen was approximately 10 weeks. From the phone screen to live interview could have ben 2 weeks, but I was unavailable - resulting in a 4 week span from the phone screen to the live interview.

Phone inverview was obviously a read-from script with an HR associate who had no understanding of the questions, technology, or project management. He had nothing to offer as far as insight into the job and was simply collecting responses for someone to review. Questions were pretty standard - why are you looking at RR for a job, when can you start, do you have a non-compete or non-disclosure, etc. Interviews do not get any easier than this.

Live interview was a panel of 3 Functional managers. Again, no hard questions - mostly "Describe a time when"... It was very apparent from the process that the panel had an internal candidate in mind, with most responses being marginalized with "well, Jet engines are different". I felt like my time was being wasted - that they needed an external candidate to fill a slate, and picked me because I lived nearby.

The last interview was with a section manager who was incredibly concerned about how long I intended on staying in this role if hired, and when I would be looking for a promotion. I asked how "High Potential" employees were identified and developed, and was met with a blank stare. It was obvious that this group was not interested in someone who would "cultivate change" as noted in the job description. The job description also had 3 or 4 bullets dealing with schedule and earned value reporting. I was asked precisely ZERO questions about this.

Honestly, I was shocked to end up with a phone call that an offer was forthcoming. I must have done a good job selling them on me - too bad they didn't do the same.

Interview Question – Describe your knowledge of turbine engines as related to rotary wing aircraft.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – From the interview process it was apparent that while the job description focused on project management and accounting, the hiring managers were looking for a subject matter expert (turbine engines) that had a peripheral ability to record earned value and manage projects as opposed to a project manager with the ability to become smart with regard to the technology managed. Management was completely open and honest on all questions asked and I believe the opportunity was clearly described - it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Very Difficult Interview

Human Resources Leadership Development Intern Interview

Human Resources Leadership Development Intern
Mount Vernon, OH

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2011.

Interview Details – Royce-Rolls first did a on-campus interview in my college. The recruiter was nice and the interview questions are pretty much all behavior based. Such as "describe a time when you have to multi-tasking/ solve a conflict in your team". I passed the first round. However, the sick part is their Psychometric Test. I swear that had I know how hard it was, I would definitely prepare it the way I prepared GMAT Math. The test includes two part- Numerical reasoning and Inductive reasoning. Each part has about 20 questions, but they give you very short time to answer! I didn't finish the question in time and they told me the next day that I was out because I didn't pass the exam. It is so frustrating to me that they are looking for someone who is extremely good at matching weird pictures and solve math/stats problems for an HR position! If you are good at those things, I guess RR is a good place for you.

Interview Question – In their Psychometric Test test, they tested a lot on Causal inference such as "given the series of pictures in the question, which one in the following options is most likely to be the next one".   Answer Question

Sourcing Interview

Sourcing
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2011.

Interview Details – Competency and Technical interview in 45 mins

Interview Question – Questions pertaining to negotiation   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Indianapolis, IN

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in September 2010.

Interview Details – 2 Peoples interviewed me on my college campus. One was taking notes while the other was asking questions.

Interview Question – How would to describe the use of a Free Body Diagram to a non technical person?   View Answer

Software Manager Interview

Software Manager
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2010.

Interview Details – PhoneScreen with HR in Minneapolis, Then Phone screen with hiring manager, then 3 group interviews. Usually 2 :1.

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2010.

Interview Details – hired on through Belcan (a contracting firm)

Interview Question – what is your experience with design software?   Answer Question

Global Leadership Program Interview

Global Leadership Program
Glen Allen, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in November 2009.

Interview Details – One hour interview conducted by one of their Vice President. First question was about my future goals - immediate, 10 years from now and what at the time of retirement.
He wanted to know about my past experience.
He wanted to know about leadership style, have I been involved in hiring and firing people - how did I do that.
What do I know about Rolls Royce - what are the opportunities and challenges.

Interview Question – Have you ever fired any person? How did you feel about it? If you have to do it, will you do it differently?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Electrical Education Advancement Interview

Electrical Education Advancement
Indianapolis, IN

The process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2009.

Interview Details – It would appear that the strongest criteria for employment at this stage would be a family connection.