Rolls-Royce

3.3

Vice President, Government Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2011.

This position required three rounds of interviews. The first interview was a phone interview and went extremely well. One of their Senior VPs interviewed me. The second interview (my last) was in person - another senior VP interviewed me. I was told that the executive VP was the third and final interviewer. The process was a bit slow - it took them roughly a month to get back to me. I received a form email from a contract recruiter informing me that they hired someone else. If I recall correctly, I was told that HR(?) made the final decision as to who was hired.

Repair Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in August 2011.

Pretty typical behavioral questions.

Development Program Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in July 2011.

Process consisted of standard application/resume and a few questions at submission, followed by a phone screen, panel interview, and 1:1 Interview. The delay between initial submission and the phone screen was approximately 10 weeks. From the phone screen to live interview could have ben 2 weeks, but I was unavailable - resulting in a 4 week span from the phone screen to the live interview.

Phone inverview was obviously a read-from script with an HR associate who had no understanding of the questions, technology, or project management. He had nothing to offer as far as insight into the job and was simply collecting responses for someone to review. Questions were pretty standard - why are you looking at RR for a job, when can you start, do you have a non-compete or non-disclosure, etc. Interviews do not get any easier than this.

Live interview was a panel of 3 Functional managers. Again, no hard questions - mostly "Describe a time when"... It was very apparent from the process that the panel had an internal candidate in mind, with most responses being marginalized with "well, Jet engines are different". I felt like my time was being wasted - that they needed an external candidate to fill a slate, and picked me because I lived nearby.

The last interview was with a section manager who was incredibly concerned about how long I intended on staying in this role if hired, and when I would be looking for a promotion. I asked how "High Potential" employees were identified and developed, and was met with a blank stare. It was obvious that this group was not interested in someone who would "cultivate change" as noted in the job description. The job description also had 3 or 4 bullets dealing with schedule and earned value reporting. I was asked precisely ZERO questions about this.

Honestly, I was shocked to end up with a phone call that an offer was forthcoming. I must have done a good job selling them on me - too bad they didn't do the same.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your knowledge of turbine engines as related to rotary wing aircraft.   Answer Question

From the interview process it was apparent that while the job description focused on project management and accounting, the hiring managers were looking for a subject matter expert (turbine engines) that had a peripheral ability to record earned value and manage projects as opposed to a project manager with the ability to become smart with regard to the technology managed. Management was completely open and honest on all questions asked and I believe the opportunity was clearly described - it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Market Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in May 2011.

The panel interview consisted of four Rolls-Royce employees and me in a small conference room at one of their Indianapolis facilities. Each person seemed to have different goals for the interview, as they seemed to be competing with each other for questions at times. The asked several basic questions such as walk me through your resume, tell me about a time when this or that happened, etc. They also asked some specific questions about a simple case they prepared. They seemed to be looking for some very specific answers and I didn't quite have the answers they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with new people on a team   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult person on a team.   Answer Question

Global Mobility Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2011.

Applied online on RR website. Phone interview and then an in-person interview in IN. I hear NOTHING for 4 months. I called the HR who told me that my application is pending. Out of nowhere, I got an automatic email telling me that the position has been filled.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of consulting behavior questions that have nothing to do with the subject matter expertise sought.   Answer Question

Human Resources Leadership Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, OH

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2011.

Royce-Rolls first did a on-campus interview in my college. The recruiter was nice and the interview questions are pretty much all behavior based. Such as "describe a time when you have to multi-tasking/ solve a conflict in your team". I passed the first round. However, the sick part is their Psychometric Test. I swear that had I know how hard it was, I would definitely prepare it the way I prepared GMAT Math. The test includes two part- Numerical reasoning and Inductive reasoning. Each part has about 20 questions, but they give you very short time to answer! I didn't finish the question in time and they told me the next day that I was out because I didn't pass the exam. It is so frustrating to me that they are looking for someone who is extremely good at matching weird pictures and solve math/stats problems for an HR position! If you are good at those things, I guess RR is a good place for you.

Interview Questions
    • In their Psychometric Test test, they tested a lot on Causal inference such as "given the series of pictures in the question, which one in the following options is most likely to be the next one".   Answer Question

Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2011.

Competency and Technical interview in 45 mins

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in September 2010.

2 Peoples interviewed me on my college campus. One was taking notes while the other was asking questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would to describe the use of a Free Body Diagram to a non technical person?   View Answer

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in June 2010.

Standard process...but very lengthy. There is a long waiting period due to the bureaucracy of the process there. Interview difficulty is based on the interviewer....but they try to standardize....so it makes it a bit boring....and hard to appreciate how 'well' or 'bad' the interview is really going.

Interview Questions
    • The technical questions or 'Competency Based Questions' are very general.   Answer Question
    Informal. Open...but they now have pretty strict pay-scales that are near impossible to budge from.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2010.

I applied twice at a college job fair and got an interview a month after the second job fair. The call came just one or two days before the day I would be interviewed. The interview was fairly standard; the interviewers were very friendly (turns out they volunteer to go to campuses and do this sort of thing).

Interview Questions
    • As I remember, most questions were not technical - more along the lines of "What's your greatest strength?"   Answer Question
    Negotiation doesn't happen for Co-Op positions as far as I know.