Rolls-Royce Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

3.4

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2009.

They called and asked to meet with me the day after I met a guy at the job fair. I had little time to prepare myself or even learn anything about the company. I was asked a range of technical questions from statics, deforms, and basic economics. They asked a lot of questions regarding difficult situations I have been in and how I over came them. Like have you ever been in a group and had a conflict with another group member, and how did I react to it.

Interview Questions
    • Have I ever been in a group where I disagreed with another person in that group? How did I overcome the difference?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2009.

The interview process is in 3 steps. First a phone interview, then another phone interview, then a one on one interview and then the final offer after 2-3 weeks from the final interview. Interviews are conducted tactfully and one should be prepared to answer the technical and non-technical aspect of it. Overall a good experience.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in August 2008.

The interview was conducted by the President of the division and the manager as well as a represntative from the HR department. They seemed interested then the position was supposedly put on hold because the UK office wanted to bring in an outside consultant to review the scope of the position before it was filled. The Manager for the job seemed very interested in having me fill the position. They never formally got back to me as to the status. I had to follow up to get any information.

Interview Questions
    • Explain an experience where you had to go against the majority. (something to that effect).   View Answer

Supplier Development Lead - Approve & Maintain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2009.

Very professional and very nice facility. Very comfortable experience. Open questions with no particular format. More like a networking conversation with a potential employeer. Very brief interview, around 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • Don't recall any difficult or unexpected questions. All pertained to the position and the description that was given on the website of what the job entailed.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

An relatively easy online application process. Answered only two behavioral questions. Then, invited to an assessment centre where a behavioral and technical interview, a teamwork and numerical test was conducted.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview requires a very good understanding of what RR is doing.   Answer Question

Production Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

2 round interview on a saturday with HR and Director of operations.

HR questions mostly on reason for leaving previous company and reason joining etc.

Ops director more interested to understand past experience and scenario based questions e.g " what would you do if something like this happened... blah blah blah ...

overall interview was very long. over 1.5 hours. but quite interesting

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if something like this happened... blah blah blah ...   Answer Question

better offer.

IT Data Transformation Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2014.

Two days after the closing date I received a call from the HR Service Center. The call lasted about 15 min and the questions were common like: Why RR? What are your expectations about your salary?

Software Center of Excellence Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in June 2013.

Applied online and was contacted a couple of weeks later by mail and phone by HR to collect a few details and plan an interview.
     - 1rst interview by phone with HR, quite general, background, resume, language level assessment. Approx 30-40 mins.
     - A week or so later, 2nd interview by phone with technical expert and head of center of excellence. Lot of technical questions, background, experiences. approx 1:15.
     - A few weeks later (due to my availability as I was living abroad), Physical interview. 3:30 hours.
    Supposed to be 1h30 general by the head of department and technical expert and 2h technical with a panel of field specialists. In reality, very interesting questions and developments led to 2:30 on the management part and only 45 minutes left for technical interview.
    The first part of the interview gave me really strong feeling of like-mindedness, and a good impression about the department objectives and will of improvement. The technical part left me with a more mitigated impression, and while each seemed very competent in its own area, some of them seemed to lack the spark of energy and open-mindedness that I think is necessary for this kind of job (admittedly in a very time-constrained atmosphere).
    The HR contacted me a couple of weeks later with an offer.

Note: RR never refunded me for the travel expenses (flight +train+ hotel) as they originally promised. That's generally not a nice thing to do.
    During the interview the head of department had advised me to contact him directly if it happened, so it seems it was not an isolated case. Too bad he had already left the company by then.

Interview Questions
    • What have been your experiences with convincing top level management?   View Answer

Multiple.
    Cons:
     - The job seemed to be very interesting and ambitious but the contract used a different title for the role (according to HR it was the same job but I would be promoted to expert after 1 year).
     - Salary offer was decent (42k) but not high enough as to be a motivating factor, especially for an international mobility to Derby.
     - They didn't pay back the travel expenses, as promised.
     - I still had a mitigated feeling about the technical part of the interview
     - At the moment to make my decision, I learned that the head of department which objectives I really connected with was leaving the company.

Pros: On the pros side, I was committed to another project abroad by the time the selection process ended and their were very understanding and accepted to hold the position for 6 month (until the end of my project) if I signed.

Manufacturing Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in March 2014.

Initial online application form - SHL numerical and logical reasoning tests - assessment centre.

Application and online test practice can be done online. For the assessment centre, mine had about 10-15 people split into two groups. Itinerary for the day was:

-Presentation about yourself followed by interview questions
    -Numerical Test (on paper this time)
    -Group task, usually working as a team to meet an objective.
    -Written exercise
    -Technical interview. This is a chance to talk about your technical knowledge i.e. stuff you've covered at uni and related work experience.

Not necessarily in the above order and lunch is provided.

Staff try and make you feel at home and from my perspective, RR is certainly a company that cares for its workers.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview - make a short talk/presentation from a choice of topics given in a list. (Some if not most should tie in with material you've learnt in your course or at school)   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Graduate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Assessment centre. Maths test, technical interview, competency interview, group exercise