Rolls-Royce

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2009.

Interview Details – They called and asked to meet with me the day after I met a guy at the job fair. I had little time to prepare myself or even learn anything about the company. I was asked a range of technical questions from statics, deforms, and basic economics. They asked a lot of questions regarding difficult situations I have been in and how I over came them. Like have you ever been in a group and had a conflict with another group member, and how did I react to it.

Interview Question – Have I ever been in a group where I disagreed with another person in that group? How did I overcome the difference?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process is in 3 steps. First a phone interview, then another phone interview, then a one on one interview and then the final offer after 2-3 weeks from the final interview. Interviews are conducted tactfully and one should be prepared to answer the technical and non-technical aspect of it. Overall a good experience.

Interview Question – What are your strengths   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in August 2008.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted by the President of the division and the manager as well as a represntative from the HR department. They seemed interested then the position was supposedly put on hold because the UK office wanted to bring in an outside consultant to review the scope of the position before it was filled. The Manager for the job seemed very interested in having me fill the position. They never formally got back to me as to the status. I had to follow up to get any information.

Interview Question – Explain an experience where you had to go against the majority. (something to that effect).   View Answer

Supplier Development Lead - Approve & Maintain Interview

Supplier Development Lead - Approve & Maintain
Reston, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in February 2009.

Interview Details – Very professional and very nice facility. Very comfortable experience. Open questions with no particular format. More like a networking conversation with a potential employeer. Very brief interview, around 30 min.

Interview Question – Don't recall any difficult or unexpected questions. All pertained to the position and the description that was given on the website of what the job entailed.   Answer Question

Production Leader Interview

Production Leader
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Interview Details – 2 round interview on a saturday with HR and Director of operations.

HR questions mostly on reason for leaving previous company and reason joining etc.

Ops director more interested to understand past experience and scenario based questions e.g " what would you do if something like this happened... blah blah blah ...

overall interview was very long. over 1.5 hours. but quite interesting

Interview Question – what would you do if something like this happened... blah blah blah ...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – better offer.

IT Data Transformation Specialist Interview

IT Data Transformation Specialist

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2014.

Interview Details – Two days after the closing date I received a call from the HR Service Center. The call lasted about 15 min and the questions were common like: Why RR? What are your expectations about your salary?

Software Center of Excellence Expert Interview

Software Center of Excellence Expert
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted a couple of weeks later by mail and phone by HR to collect a few details and plan an interview.
 - 1rst interview by phone with HR, quite general, background, resume, language level assessment. Approx 30-40 mins.
 - A week or so later, 2nd interview by phone with technical expert and head of center of excellence. Lot of technical questions, background, experiences. approx 1:15.
 - A few weeks later (due to my availability as I was living abroad), Physical interview. 3:30 hours.
Supposed to be 1h30 general by the head of department and technical expert and 2h technical with a panel of field specialists. In reality, very interesting questions and developments led to 2:30 on the management part and only 45 minutes left for technical interview.
The first part of the interview gave me really strong feeling of like-mindedness, and a good impression about the department objectives and will of improvement. The technical part left me with a more mitigated impression, and while each seemed very competent in its own area, some of them seemed to lack the spark of energy and open-mindedness that I think is necessary for this kind of job (admittedly in a very time-constrained atmosphere).
The HR contacted me a couple of weeks later with an offer.

Note: RR never refunded me for the travel expenses (flight +train+ hotel) as they originally promised. That's generally not a nice thing to do.
During the interview the head of department had advised me to contact him directly if it happened, so it seems it was not an isolated case. Too bad he had already left the company by then.

Interview Question – What have been your experiences with convincing top level management?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Multiple.
Cons:
 - The job seemed to be very interesting and ambitious but the contract used a different title for the role (according to HR it was the same job but I would be promoted to expert after 1 year).
 - Salary offer was decent (42k) but not high enough as to be a motivating factor, especially for an international mobility to Derby.
 - They didn't pay back the travel expenses, as promised.
 - I still had a mitigated feeling about the technical part of the interview
 - At the moment to make my decision, I learned that the head of department which objectives I really connected with was leaving the company.

Pros: On the pros side, I was committed to another project abroad by the time the selection process ended and their were very understanding and accepted to hold the position for 6 month (until the end of my project) if I signed.

Manufacturing Engineering Intern Interview

Manufacturing Engineering Intern
Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial online application form - SHL numerical and logical reasoning tests - assessment centre.

Application and online test practice can be done online. For the assessment centre, mine had about 10-15 people split into two groups. Itinerary for the day was:

-Presentation about yourself followed by interview questions
-Numerical Test (on paper this time)
-Group task, usually working as a team to meet an objective.
-Written exercise
-Technical interview. This is a chance to talk about your technical knowledge i.e. stuff you've covered at uni and related work experience.

Not necessarily in the above order and lunch is provided.

Staff try and make you feel at home and from my perspective, RR is certainly a company that cares for its workers.

Interview Question – Technical interview - make a short talk/presentation from a choice of topics given in a list. (Some if not most should tie in with material you've learnt in your course or at school)   Answer Question

Engineering Leadership Graduate Interview

Engineering Leadership Graduate

I applied online and interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Interview Details – Assessment centre. Maths test, technical interview, competency interview, group exercise

Interview Question – Explain technically how the product operates.   Answer Question

Head of Digital Interview

Head of Digital
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process started with a phone interview followed by 3 further interviews. Speedy and well organised. This process lasted about 1 month in total, including multiple phone calls to update me and keep me in the know. Quite pleased with this whole process and the people involved in the process were excellent. Interviews were quick, precise and friendly.

Interview Question – I cannot say that I was offered a very difficult question. Interviewers were excellent and questions were well thought out. Nothing surprising asked.   Answer Question